IGNORED

Official SMS

HambrookRed

Who stumped up the money for this stadium to be built ??? and why ??

I don't understand the purpose and reasoning behind it, although people don't invest this much money unless they know they will get it back...do they !?

First point of your question has been answered further back on this thread. As for why? Well, you're right, most people invest money on this scale for a return of some sort (unless you have excess cash you don't know what to do with and to you it's just a bit of fun to play with Football Clubs - que Roman Abramovich). Even then, having the what is it now, the 10th richest Football club Chairman in all divisions, doesn't always mean you're going to being in the Premiership sat on leather heated seats now does it?

Dwarfy.

Prove that. The Stadium will be owned by BRFC. If Bristol Rugby were that wealthy, why do they need to rent someone else's gound off of them? They have had no say in how the Stadium will look or function, what does that tell you? It's Bristol Rovers's Ground and to generate extra income, we will rent the playing surface out to the Rugby. I think you over estimate the spending power of Bristol Rugby. TV deals may all be well and good but where do you think the large proportion of that money is going to go, into Bristol Rugby? Doubtful. Give it 10 years when Bristol Rovers have started to establish the revenue coming in and we'll throw the mighty Bristol Rugby out of our Ground and let them get on with it on their own.

Dwarfy.

Rovers will suffer from the loss or revenue when the rugby comes here. I don't know jack all about your accounts but surely in terms of catering etc the sags make more money from the rugby than they do from themselves.

You are joking. Without us, they'd be playing on the Downs.
Your the joker here, Without them you would still be playing at Twerton. Have fun at Twerton again for the next ten years and don't be to hard on Mangotsfield when you come back to Bristol and try and steal there ground.

Your the joker here, Without them you would still be playing at Twerton. Have fun at Twerton again for the next ten years and don't be to hard on Mangotsfield when you come back to Bristol and try and steal there ground.

And why's that? We bought the ground, took over their debts, end of story really. Make up all the lovely comments you like but the long and the short of it is, we're going to have a brand new 18,500 all seater Stadium.

And why's that? We bought the ground, took over their debts, end of story really. Make up all the lovely comments you like but the long and the short of it is, we're going to have a brand new 18,500 all seater Stadium.
Don't be so sure, There is just a small matter of 30 million to be found and arn't the local residents appealing against the planning decision? IL believe it when I see it tbh.

My theory is you will move out and f off back to Twerton, The mem will then be knocked down then news will break that funding has fallen through so the redevelopment will be put on hold and forgotten about, Then on the quiet the land will be sold to some property developer to provide Dunford with a nice retirement fund and you will see a few hundred new houses built instead of a spanking pie in the sky stadium.

You are joking. Without us, they'd be playing on the Downs.

ummm, without Rovers they would be playing at the Gate Full-Time if they paid the price accordingly.

Bristol are only staying at the Mem because it is their natural home and they will try their best to continue playing their if that becomes unfeasible in the future they will move on, possibly to the gate, once they have paid the suitable funds to bring the pitch upto scrath.

Bristol Rugby is bigger and more important to the City of Bristol than Bristol Rovers.

Bristol Rugby is a club at the top of it's professional and a renowed name around the country for producing players of international talent.

Rovers don't have the finances to compete with other clubs in their current division with their current ground, they will be even less able to manage with a new ground and the debts it will bring, Rovers are a club that without Bristol Rugby will become even more anchored in the bottom tiers of football.

The Rovers board know they need the rugby club,

The problem is, will the Rugby Club want to come back to the Mem once it's finished? at the moment they are increasing the ground to 18500, Bristol have already shown they can attract crowds of 20k+

you say Bristol don't have the finances, yet can you think of another situation where the Tenants of a ground have built a new stand to house their fans at a ground that they only rent because Rovers couldn't afford to increase the ground attedance? Only at the mem.

ahhh, I see now, you don't actually seem to know Rovers history, even I know when Rovers returned to Bristol they didn't actually purchase any part of the ground right away, you rented it for a couple of years after Bristol Rugby did you a favour buy letting you play there.

Seriously with Bristol Rugby letting you in, you could well still be in Bath.

Bristol Rugby let you ground share, then you bought a 50% share, with a clause stating that if either club went bankrupt the remaining club could buy the other 50% for a fixed price.

now Bristol Rugby have never gone bankrupt, yet Rovers are sole owners of the Mem? the rugby club were on the verge of closing but were saved at the last minute and taken over, however Rovers board stole in and bought the remaining 50% before the rugby club collapsed through a loophole, which to this day is still a discrace and something the dunfords will never be forgiven for in my eyes of kicking the rugby club while it was down

The Memorial Staduim will always be the home of Bristol Rugby despite what the deeds say.

Bristol Rovers need the Rugby Club more than the other way around.

The Rugby Club has nationwide and a worldwide reputation for being one of the national top rugby sides over the years. Bristol Rovers has a repuation for Good Pasties.

Off the field, moving back to Bristol has been a good move for the club, on the field, since they bought their share in the mem, they have been soo skint paying for it, they have had probably their worst spell in their football history, no Bristol club has spent that long in the bottom league or finished as low.

Very much so. Stadium will hold 18,500. Last week with 3 games at home the total attendance came to no more than 13,000 at the most. I try and convince myself that it's expensive for the average fan to have spent at least £30.00 on a Millenium Ticket a few days before and then 3 home games on the trot costing £14.00 per game, but you're correct, it's going to look like a Bolton reserves match most of the time.

Dwarfy.

But there are some decent players in Bolton reserves games. N'est pas?

I do wonder about the sense in building an 18000 stadium that, as you point out, needs to support a fan base of barely 5000. I guess the intention is that football will be a minor part of the stadium use.

The Rugby Club has nationwide and a worldwide reputation for being one of the national top rugby sides over the years. Bristol Rovers has a repuation for Good Pasties.

Spot on.

It is an unfortunate fact that outside of the West Country Bristol football presently has a low profile, due to absence of either team in the upper reaches of the league system. And, in my experience, if you asked most people outside our glorious city, even football fans, to tell you details about either Bristol team they struggle.

However, large amounts are fully aware of Bristol Rugby, especially at the moment with them doing well. They play in the top division possible and, as mentioned, produce top international talent. Ask them if they've heard of the Mem and those who can answer will almost always answer that it is the home of the Rugby.

I have no problem with the Rovers improving or redeveloping their ground, but to try and justify a new 18,000 seater on football grounds at this point in time is unrealistic and foolish.

We average around 9,000-10,000 in league one; you don't get more than 5,500 on a regular basis and whist playing in league two I doubt that will increase unless you are challenging for promotion, which will require significant squad investment, which will need to be done whilst finding £30 Million.

Unless you find a significant amount of cash from somewhere I don't think this will go too well for you lads...

ummm, without Rovers they would be playing at the Gate Full-Time if they paid the price accordingly.

Bristol are only staying at the Mem because it is their natural home and they will try their best to continue playing their if that becomes unfeasible in the future they will move on, possibly to the gate, once they have paid the suitable funds to bring the pitch upto scrath.

Bristol Rugby is bigger and more important to the City of Bristol than Bristol Rovers.

Bristol Rugby is a club at the top of it's professional and a renowed name around the country for producing players of international talent.

Rovers don't have the finances to compete with other clubs in their current division with their current ground, they will be even less able to manage with a new ground and the debts it will bring, Rovers are a club that without Bristol Rugby will become even more anchored in the bottom tiers of football.

The Rovers board know they need the rugby club,

The problem is, will the Rugby Club want to come back to the Mem once it's finished? at the moment they are increasing the ground to 18500, Bristol have already shown they can attract crowds of 20k+

you say Bristol don't have the finances, yet can you think of another situation where the Tenants of a ground have built a new stand to house their fans at a ground that they only rent because Rovers couldn't afford to increase the ground attedance? Only at the mem.

bhRed, I'm agreeing with you for the first time ever. Abso-bloody-lutely spot on.

bhRed, I'm agreeing with you for the first time ever. Abso-bloody-lutely spot on.

To save quoting the whole post again, can I add a 'me too'.

I must admit the only thing I have admired about the Gas over the years is their seemingly ability to cope with such poor facilities and conditions at their stadium. Their fans have always seemed 'together' and mostly patient with the team. It seems nobody, (club, team or fans) ,really expects too much of eachother and so anything is a sort of bonus?

The fact that the majority of their fans stand on terracing a huge advantage for them, for all the reasons that for years we are struggling to come to terms with the all seater laws. I'm wondering that IF, and I honestly think that it's a huge IF, they do redevelop and return to The Mem that the fans will sit in their shiny seats and be very disappointed in just another soul-less stadium.

When a sporting team go bust, all sort of predators prowl around in very murky waters, laying claim to their assets - like the ground for instance. These predators act just like ... um ... pirates!

Remind you of what happened when Bristol Rugby Club went to the wall mate?

And a secret bid of £400,000 from a source close to the B***tards at east vile for the City ground in 82.

I think the fire at east vile was started by a thunderbolt from above as retribution for trying to nick our ground.

Not really. We took on over £1M of their debts to get that ground. Then we built a new stand, improved all facilities, parking, surface, terracing, bars, boxes (you wouldn't know what they are), hospitality. As far as I know, Bristol Rugby didn't go to the wall or are you so used to seeing a date of re-incarnation after every Bristol sporting club's name that you've overlooked that?

Dwarfy.

Dunford bought a 50% stake in the Memorial stadium company for £2m. that companies assets according to him were worth £6m. If any party were to go bankrupt the other party could purchase the other shares for £10k.The then chairman of the rugby club was owed £2m which he took from the proceeds of the Dunford share purchase.The rugby club subsequently went bust and Dunford took up the option to buy the other parties shares for £10k.Good business for him But it stank. Half of the ground was sold for housing a couple of years ago, Rovers didn't get any of it, I wonder who did?

I must admit the only thing I have admired about the Gas over the years is their seemingly ability to cope with such poor facilities and conditions at their stadium. Their fans have always seemed 'together' and mostly patient with the team. It seems nobody, (club, team or fans) ,really expects too much of eachother and so anything is a sort of bonus?

The fact that the majority of their fans stand on terracing a huge advantage for them, for all the reasons that for years we are struggling to come to terms with the all seater laws. I'm wondering that IF, and I honestly think that it's a huge IF, they do redevelop and return to The Mem that the fans will sit in their shiny seats and be very disappointed in just another soul-less stadium.

Admiration for the Gas doesnt come often, but I have to agree with you regarding their fans. A lot of them seem alot more content with their situation than i feel we all would if we swapped places.

I guess City fans just expect more....is that simply ambition and is a good thing ? i dunno.

Thats very true too. Pity so damn many of their fans are evenly balanced: a chip on both shoulders. A pity that loyalty cant be bought over to the red side sometimes

Archived