IGNORED

Referee Today

Chivs

Was he good or awful?

I thought the Forest players were "robust" in their early challenges but he waited until Johnson had been launched above his own head before he waved the yellow card.

There was the occasion where he allowed play to carry on even though his linesman was waving his flag. I expect though that this was a mistake by the linesman.

He gave Forest a number of soft fouls in the second half but, then again, he didn't award what looked like a penalty to me against Holt.

On the whole I think that he was excellent. It's just that he let so much go on that I'm feeling a bit lost.

But isn't that the way refereeing should be? Congratulations to Master Bates.

The officials were poor, One one occasion I remember the linesman putting his flag up for us which the ref didn't seem to notice and then he pulled the flag back down and then Forest got a throw in.

If he had saw something that the ref didn't he should have stood still and kept the flag up.

The officials were poor, One one occasion I remember the linesman putting his flag up for us which the ref didn't seem to notice and then he pulled the flag back down and then Forest got a throw in.

If he had saw something that the ref didn't he should have stood still and kept the flag up.

No he shouldnt. The referee has the final say and he clearly saw the flag was up but decided the linesman got it wrong, fair enough.

All referees at this level make mistakes but at least he mainly let the game flow. Its the stop start refs that are worst.

No he shouldnt. The referee has the final say and he clearly saw the flag was up but decided the linesman got it wrong, fair enough.

RedDave is right. Referees are trained to present a united front (I was a qualified referee - until I packed it in), and to be seen to be in agreement with each other. Whether the ref missed the signal, or decided not to act on it, the linesman knew to get on with the game.

Never heard of the Referee overruling the linesman...? :rolleyes:

the ref was absolutely shockin. The way there deffence was pushing brooker about, right in front of the ref was a joke!! One of wich in my opinion was a blatant penalty. I also thought the tackle on holt by carey was a blatent penalty aswell so i suppose they cancel each other out!

Quite correct. As a former referee, I can confirm that, as an impartial assistant referee, it is part of your role to maintain the flag until the referee either acknowledges that he has seen your indication and has allowed play to continue or he stops play. The assistant on Saturday was incorrect in dropping his flag, unless the referee somehow acknowledged him.

poor no idea of the advantage rule. inconsistent decisions

I thought that the one thing he was, was consistent. As you say he never allowed the advantage for either side, constantly allowed challenges which he saw as shoulder to shoulder and allowed for the heat of the situation in a lot of the challenges.

He wasn't the best I have seen this season by a long way, but the least I expect is consistency and he had that.

Archived