IGNORED

Article in the sun

ciderup

I read the report on Saturdays game against forest where it had the usual crap about Bradley Orr headbutting his captain and then the prison thing(do all newspapers have something against us?) and then read the bit about SL essentially bank rolling City to become a premiership club.

Now I know SL is about to float his company and he will be stinking rich afterwards but I don't remember SL publicly stating he would be spending mega bucks apart from his comment some time ago that if City got to the championship funds would be made available.

Is it just newspaper (loose term) talk or have I missed something?

UP THE CITY!!!!!!!!

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

I read the report on Saturdays game against forest where it had the usual crap about Bradley Orr headbutting his captain and then the prison thing(do all newspapers have something against us?) and then read the bit about SL essentially bank rolling City to become a premiership club.

Now I know SL is about to float his company and he will be stinking rich afterwards but I don't remember SL publicly stating he would be spending mega bucks apart from his comment some time ago that if City got to the championship funds would be made available.

Is it just newspaper (loose term) talk or have I missed something?

UP THE CITY!!!!!!!!

:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Heres the link in case any of you missed it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390...7140895,00.html

Manchester United of the west country. :rofl2br:

We can all dream! :w00t:

Erm I love the reader comment from 'austroturf' .....

what the hell is he on about...... in English if possible, please

He's taken the pi$$ of man utd fans from london, but he's a liverpool fan from lincolnshire!!

The Pot Calling The Kettle Black ...

Maybe he's a lifelong Liverpool fan from Liverpool who is now living in Lincolnshire.

I'm a lifelong City fan from Bristol but I now live in North Wales - loads of exiles all over the world mate.

yes mate, i know just making an observation thats all.

Do you not think that SteveL has a point in suggesting that our catchment area gives us potential for success? Do you not think our chairman should be aiming at bringing the sort of success that means football fans down here choose to come to Ashton Gate rather than travelling to faraway grounds to watch Premiership or Championship games? Would you rather our chairman said he was happy being a big fish in League One with perhaps the odd season in the Championship to look forward to? I'm damned sure he hasn't achieved his business success by aiming low.

I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've read fans on here bemoaning how many lads you see walking around Broadmead in Chelsea and Liverpool shirts, comments along the lines that you'd rather see lads wearing Rovers shirts than Man Utd ones etc. Well I think the point SteveL was making was that if we did get a foothold in the Championship and start looking up to the Premiership rather than down at League One (and teams like Reading, Wigan, Watford, Sheffield Utd and even Charlton and Bolton etc have proved this is possible) then instead of bypassing us to head elsewhere, people will choose to come to the Gate because they will be seeing star players week in, week out. It will be an attractive prospect, and whereas if Stockport managed it they would have to compete with loads of other teams for fans, if we can make that leap we have the catchment area with little competition and great potential. Even more so because if we do, there will be two divisions between us and the Basement Boys, unlike previous occasions when we've been in the top two divisions.

I only came to the Gate the first time, as I mentioned recently on here, to see the opposition - Leeds Utd, as it happened. My dad took me down to see the array of stars like Eddie and Frankie Gray, Peter Lorimer, Arthur Graham etc. I had no idea who any of the City players were. But I knew pretty much every one of the Leeds players. As you know, football is a bit like crack cocaine. It only takes a couple of 'hits' to get you hooked for life. There is no reason to think that if we start bringing success again, more and more fathers and sons will make their way to the Gate - if only to see us play teams like West Ham, Birmingham, Charlton, Norwich etc - and before they know it find themselves part of

our Cidered community.

In short, when I read the article I was heartened that the chairman ( a ) is making long-term plans which mean he's not contemplating going anywhere ( b ) is willing to spend a few quid to make it happen and ( c ) is thinking big thoughts and not afraid of seeing City as a big club, rather thinking small thoughts and seeing us as a League One outfit.

I know I'm biased (as many of you are well aware!) but personally, I thought it was one of the most encouraging interviews with SteveL that I've read, and I'd have said the same if it was in any other paper. It gave me confidence that he's planning to take us places, and reason for optimism.

Do you not think that SteveL has a point in suggesting that our catchment area gives us potential for success? Do you not think our chairman should be aiming at bringing the sort of success that means football fans down here choose to come to Ashton Gate rather than travelling to faraway grounds to watch Premiership or Championship games? Would you rather our chairman said he was happy being a big fish in League One with perhaps the odd season in the Championship to look forward to? I'm damned sure he hasn't achieved his business success by aiming low.

I've lost count of the number of times over the years that I've read fans on here bemoaning how many lads you see walking around Broadmead in Chelsea and Liverpool shirts, comments along the lines that you'd rather see lads wearing Rovers shirts than Man Utd ones etc. Well I think the point SteveL was making was that if we did get a foothold in the Championship and start looking up to the Premiership rather than down at League One (and teams like Reading, Wigan, Watford, Sheffield Utd and even Charlton and Bolton etc have proved this is possible) then instead of bypassing us to head elsewhere, people will choose to come to the Gate because they will be seeing star players week in, week out. It will be an attractive prospect, and whereas if Stockport managed it they would have to compete with loads of other teams for fans, if we can make that leap we have the catchment area with little competition and great potential. Even more so because if we do, there will be two divisions between us and the Basement Boys, unlike previous occasions when we've been in the top two divisions.

I only came to the Gate the first time, as I mentioned recently on here, to see the opposition - Leeds Utd, as it happened. My dad took me down to see the array of stars like Eddie and Frankie Gray, Peter Lorimer, Arthur Graham etc. I had no idea who any of the City players were. But I knew pretty much every one of the Leeds players. As you know, football is a bit like crack cocaine. It only takes a couple of 'hits' to get you hooked for life. There is no reason to think that if we start bringing success again, more and more fathers and sons will make their way to the Gate - if only to see us play teams like West Ham, Birmingham, Charlton, Norwich etc - and before they know it find themselves part of

our Cidered community.

In short, when I read the article I was heartened that the chairman ( a ) is making long-term plans which mean he's not contemplating going anywhere ( b ) is willing to spend a few quid to make it happen and ( c ) is thinking big thoughts and not afraid of seeing City as a big club, rather thinking small thoughts and seeing us as a League One outfit.

I know I'm biased (as many of you are well aware!) but personally, I thought it was one of the most encouraging interviews with SteveL that I've read, and I'd have said the same if it was in any other paper. It gave me confidence that he's planning to take us places, and reason for optimism.

Evening redtop, agree 100%, I just hope we learn to walk before we try running, remember last time we were promoted, all that money was spent and we've only just recovered from it.

Fingers crosses steves background will put us in good stead.

our Cidered community.

Top Post. In 1976 I moved from Bristol to the football backwater of North Devon. We'd just been promoted to the old Division 1. I couldn't get to as many games from down there but when I did I met fans who used to travel from P enzance

The potential of our club is massive and I'm glad that our chairman has also recognised that

Whilst I'm broadly in agreement, it has to be said that his tenure as Chairman has seen City fall just short and the arrival/sacking of a few managers.As with all things I am sure that SL will, as per GJ, be judged on results/success and that means City in the Championship.Once there, we'll see the extent of SL's ambition and pursestrings.

Agree with all that and have done for the last forty years.....we even did it once.......and I won't go into what happened since.It's true but until we realise it, it will remain a dream.Never use the Gas as a Benchmark, they've only got about 4,500 fans anyway

I only came to the Gate the first time, as I mentioned recently on here, to see the opposition - Leeds Utd, as it happened. My dad took me down to see the array of stars like Eddie and Frankie Gray, Peter Lorimer, Arthur Graham

Arthur Who??

etc. I had no idea who any of the City players were. But I knew pretty much every one of the Leeds players. As you know, football is a bit like crack cocaine. It only takes a couple of 'hits' to get you hooked for life. There is no reason to think that if we start bringing success again, more and more fathers and sons will make their way to the Gate - if only to see us play teams like West Ham, Birmingham, Charlton, Norwich etc - and before they know it find themselves part of our Cidered community.

Agree with that and this season has proved beyone all doubt that the Bristol Football Public WON'T turn out week in week out in droves to watch Third Div Football, even when we're challenging for auto promotion

Let's get promoted then see what happens.

Well if it's in The Sun it has to be true ;):D

I'm not using the Gas as a benchmark, BB. My point was that the two division difference between us, should we go up, means the Gas are less likely to be able to compete for fans than they have been in previous seasons when we were in the top two flights. Should we go up, then there will never have been such disparity between the teams in my lifetime, and that's got to be good news for City in terms of attracting fans:

Boy: "Dad, I want to go and see a football game in real life."

Dad: "Hmm, shall I take him to see Rovers play Darlington or City play West Ham..."

P.S. Arthur Graham was a dangerous winger for Leeds Utd with straggly blonde hair. A Scott, I believe. If you care to check your programme, you'll see he was singled out among Leeds Utd's stars as the "Dangerman" when they came here in the season that we departed the top flight.

our Cidered community.

can't argue with that :farmer:

If steve lansdown thinks he can get us there (the prem) then bring it on as we have had so many false dawns

in recent years it's about time one came true.

I'd rather see some action, heard enough talk for far to long now.

Fact is many of our hopes are increased by the club talking big year in, year out.

I agree. After 8 years in this crap division i will settle for 8 in the Championship. I don't give a damn about the Prem for now.

Archived