IGNORED

Calm your nerves

allyolly

Therapy is at hand in the form of GJ's interview currently available for all to see on the main site!!

Like most other people I walked away from Gillingham on Monday wondering how we could ever score. But listening to Gary talk calmly and logically about not only what we have to do but what is likely to be going through other club's minds my confidence is at least partly restored.

With the exception of S****horpe I really would not want to change places with any other club in our division at this moment in time so lets all keep the faith and get behind the lads on Saturday and the 3 remaining games after.

Good post. Just listening to GJ inspires confidence, no wonder the players have turned this club around in 18 months. Without wanting this to sound like a 'love in', i think the manager speaks a lot of sense every time i see/hear a comment in the media. I loved the way he hasn't got dragged into the slagging match with Calderwood, who was clearly spoiling for a fight after the forest game, and that he only speaks about our team.

At the launch of cityfoundation, he his Q&A was fantastic, very honest appraisals of our chances, and why we couldn't sign some top names. He was especially honest about JMW with him sat 10 feet away!!

I have 100% faith in the gaffer, he is the best thing to happen to this club for a long long time.

RED ARMY!!

I listened to it when it was eventually there :disapointed2se: pants IT.

I thought GJ made some sensible public comment and had clearly had time to think following Gillingham.

Most of it was sensible, but I don't know where he gets his 10/11 chances from, because I would only class ES 's header from LJ's cross as a chance, plus the ball coming down off the bar from McCombe to ES as our only other in ninety minutes.

Talking about dipping for the line as opposed to stumbling is semantics and I can well see why he needs to buoy the confidence of the players and that's fair enough.

As for sticking with people/keeping faith, OK, I'll go along with that to a point, but if you keep playing Betsy & Wilson when they're both having mares then it won't be long before the rest of the players chuck it in.In fairness to Wilson he did say his best position is RB or RWB and he is being played the furthest position away from that on the left wing!!

On the "couple" that could be back, I think that's Noble & Fontaine.

Weale, Brooker, Murray & McAllister won't play again this season unless it's in the play offs so I hope we don't see them until August.For me, McAllister's the biggest miss due to his leadership, defending and contribution from set pieces with LJ.

If it's 4-4-2

.................BASSO....................

ORR........CAREY.........MCCOMBE................WOODMAN.......

WILSON...............JOHNSON......RUSSELL................SHOWUNMI........

.............JEVONS.........SMITH...................

SUBS

THOMAS

JMW

KEOGH

NOBLE

ARTUS

Wilson on the right supported by Orr, looks a hard working and effective combination and it worked well at BHA.Russells leadership and attacking flair get him the nod over Skuse and Showunmi IS left sided and could have a game like the one he had away at Swansea wide left.He can't be worse than Betsy there although, as ever I'm concerned about his defending/tracking back.

I wouldn't move McCombe up front as some have suggested because you don't fix what's broken by breaking what works.Woodman's a far better left back than Fontaine particulary from a distribution standpoint and also offers left sided delivery from set pieces.

If, as I hope, it's 3-5-2

............BASSO............

.............ORR....MCCOMBE.......CAREY..................

WILSON..............JOHNSON..........RUSSELL.........NOBLE.....WOODMAN...........

........SMITH.....JEVONS..............

SUBS

THOMAS

KEOGH

SHOWUNMI

JMW

SKUSE or ARTUS

Whilst we need to attack, it's no good going bannanas, getting caught on the break, and being 2-0 down in the first twenty minutes.Yeovil will sit in and play on the break, probably with MS playing a free role behind the front one/two.

Orr just gets the nod over Keogh on current form and, as I've saidb before this week, we need players on the field who are 100% commited to the cause.

Woodman & Wilson can both defend, but would give natural balance and width.The can both cross and pass and with Russell holding LJ & DN can get past the ball more and create.Artus can replace Noble if he tires after a spell out.

It's tough on Skuse but we just need more in the final third and the other three can give us that.If Nobles injured then let Skuse anchor and Russell move to the left centre in a more attacking role.

Smiths movement and hold up play could allow Jevons to get on the ball facing goal, where he will be dangerous.That and the fact he'll want to do well against his old club, plus his penalty taking, gets him the nod over ES.

what did he say?

Sorry for the late reply, i must be the only person on the planet with dial up internet connection!! Grr!

In response to the question 'why aren't you playing the young players like JMW instead of donkey's like Smith/Andrews' Johnson basically said it was down to experience. He said that JMW was talented, but he did not believe he had the experience or temprement (sp) for the run in. He said that you have to choose the right time to blood players, and that JMW doesn't react well to being put down.

He also said he had told JMW this in private and that he still has a bright future. Sensible chat i think.

Guest ashtonyate
Have you ever had a good vibe about anything? :preacher:

Yes when I see things that I think are right and The forward line is not one of them if we go a goal down I just can't see us coming back

The last time we went up it felt right we played good attacking football and you could always see us scoring with this lot showumni leading the line jevons playing along side him we never look like scoring at home

This season at home is one of the poorest City forward line I have ever seen,Yeovil look like scoring we don't

Yes when I see things that I think are right and The forward line is not one of them if we go a goal down I just can't see us coming back

The last time we went up it felt right we played good attacking football and you could always see us scoring with this lot showumni leading the line jevons playing along side him we never look like scoring at home

This season at home is one of the poorest City forward line I have ever seen,Yeovil look like scoring we don't

I agree that we have hardly been prolific with our forward line this season but we have had so many enforced changes up front that it has been difficult to establish an effective and regular partnership. Who would have predicted that Brooker would only have scored twice in the league this season.

Where I think we have been far more effective is in the distribution of goals around the team - seven players have bagged 4 or more so far this season.

The number of times we have come from behind to draw or win coupled with the number of late winners we have struck suggests we have got what it takes to pull out the stops.

Lets keep the faith and hope we can continue to do so starting on Saturday.

Guest ashtonyate
I agree that we have hardly been prolific with our forward line this season but we have had so many enforced changes up front that it has been difficult to establish an effective and regular partnership. Who would have predicted that Brooker would only have scored twice in the league this season.

Where I think we have been far more effective is in the distribution of goals around the team - seven players have bagged 4 or more so far this season.

The number of times we have come from behind to draw or win coupled with the number of late winners we have struck suggests we have got what it takes to pull out the stops.

Lets keep the faith and hope we can continue to do so starting on Saturday.

Its good to have goals scored from different part of the team which should bolster the forward line but the forward line is not scoring any goals at the moment.

I think its down to Johnson,he must have knew that there was likely to have a problem for a start Brooker has had spells in the past out injured.

He got Showumni in who was largely untested at Luton he also knew Stewart was going to move because of his dislike of Stewart and that leaves Jevons who would benefit playing along side a target man

It just upsets me that we could still not go up again because of poor discussion making when had we had a good striker we would be up by now

People think I am a moaning old sod but ever year we seem to c**k it up for lack of a goal scorer

Guest ashtonyate
Lack of a goal scorer every year ????

I think this is the first year we haven't had one really.

Moaning old sod :laugh:

Sorry I forgot Bas Savage last year this year we got headless chicken Andy Smith he can't even Moon Walk

Sorry, but I have to say that I don't think City has the intestinal fortitude to finish the season with promotion. I think we will fall short once again.

My predictions:-

City 1-1 Yeovil

Carlisle 2-1 City

Millwall 2-0 City

City 1-0 Rotherham

1. S****horpe

2. Notts Forest

3. Blackpool

The play-offs will be a total anti-climax.

IMHO :bruce_h4h:

I wouldn't mind changing our forward line with a few clubs though.This attempt at saying it will be alright cos GJ says so - doesn't fill me with alot of confidence.I am dreading Saturday as after watching Gillingham/Forrest at home I cannot see how we will score.Local derby,big crowd ,massive game - all the factors that have traditionally caused us problems.Against Gillingham we seemed to even forget how to shoot at goal.Oh how I hope I am wrong but the thought of Stewart scoring and 3,000 Yeovil fans gooing barmy does hold nightmares for me at the moment.

I wouldn't mind changing our forward line with a few clubs though.This attempt at saying it will be alright cos GJ says so - doesn't fill me with alot of confidence.I am dreading Saturday as after watching Gillingham/Forrest at home I cannot see how we will score.Local derby,big crowd ,massive game - all the factors that have traditionally caused us problems.Against Gillingham we seemed to even forget how to shoot at goal.Oh how I hope I am wrong but the thought of Stewart scoring and 3,000 Yeovil fans gooing barmy does hold nightmares for me at the moment.

Not quite as blind or stupid enough to think that just cos Gary says so everything is going to be fine....if only it was that easy!

Facts - we are 2nd in the table, we are 4 points clear, we still have one of the better home records in the divison, the team immediately below us is faltering and have lost their two main strikers in Aggogo and Tyson, the team below that still have two difficult games to play in Scunny (h) and Swansea(a).

Equally we are not currently scoring enough goals or hitting the form that we would all like to see. Taking all that into account it was good to see Johnson talking intelligently, being positive, supporting his players and probably most important of all refusing to panic.

Of course it is still possible that we could throw it all away and end up in the play offs. Having not yet recovered from the last time I prefer to be optimistic cos at least it helps me sleep.

Archived