IGNORED

If You Were Tristan Would You Sign?

Redhyde

Well, he's an integral member of the Englan under 17 team and he's off to the European championships with them. We've all seen him in action for the reserves (ok not all of us) but you must've seen the write ups at least and he's clearly a player with a hell of alot of potential. He's yet to make an appearence for our senior side though.

We've seen the dangers of leaving us too soon with the plight of Joe Ayinsah and perhaps even Dave Coterill who's not playing now there's too much presssure on the manager for results at Wigan. Leroy Lita and Matt Hill have shown what you can do if you go to the right club at the right time and are both enjoying sucess at a higher level.

So it all the signs scream for him to stay and develop with us, progress into the first team then leave when a good offer comes in for us and him which will guarentee (pretty much) first team football at a higher level whether that be in the same divison or not. Right?

Well, for me there's a doubt now. That doubt is Gary Johnson. I love the guy to bits, and have throughout his reign at our club, but, he doesn't seem to have a record of bringing through yound players through the ranks. He's a wheeler dealer who loves a bargain, and loves to be proved right about a player the whole world thinks he's mad to sign. With expectation, of senior established players or up and coming stars there's a doubt as to whether he likes that kind of player persona.

Just ask Marcus or Jennison in regards to that.

We're a club on the up no doubt, but are we currently right for a young player to develop in? With pressure this year to go up, and next year (hopefully) to survive in a higher league. When under pressure you stick with what you know, and that's older experienced players.

So with these things in mind, would you sign for us in his position?

Well, he's an integral member of the Englan under 17 team and he's off to the European championships with them. We've all seen him in action for the reserves (ok not all of us) but you must've seen the write ups at least and he's clearly a player with a hell of alot of potential. He's yet to make an appearence for our senior side though.

We've seen the dangers of leaving us too soon with the plight of Joe Ayinsah and perhaps even Dave Coterill who's not playing now there's too much presssure on the manager for results at Wigan. Leroy Lita and Matt Hill have shown what you can do if you go to the right club at the right time and are both enjoying sucess at a higher level.

So it all the signs scream for him to stay and develop with us, progress into the first team then leave when a good offer comes in for us and him which will guarentee (pretty much) first team football at a higher level whether that be in the same divison or not. Right?

Well, for me there's a doubt now. That doubt is Gary Johnson. I love the guy to bits, and have throughout his reign at our club, but, he doesn't seem to have a record of bringing through yound players through the ranks. He's a wheeler dealer who loves a bargain, and loves to be proved right about a player the whole world thinks he's mad to sign. With expectation, of senior established players or up and coming stars there's a doubt as to whether he likes that kind of player persona.

We're a club on the up no doubt, but are we currently right for a young player to develop in? With pressure this year to go up, and next year (hopefully) to survive in a higher league. When under pressure you stick with what you know, and that's older experienced players.

Without a doubt. Yes.

There are a number of issues and one thing you have to do is remember what it was like to be 17 and that's bloody difficult for me.........however.

If I was him, I'd want to play at the highest level and earn as much as possible-It's up to his advisers/parents to keep his feet on the ground and ensure that he gets first team football.Question is, will he get that here and GJ doesn't have a great record with introducing younger or local players.That could be due to pressure as a big club in this division and "having" to get promoted.

However, will that pressure reduce next year?

OK, the expectation level will decrease, I'll admit that I'd settle for a top 12 finish for the first two seasons and then try to improve from that.

As far a TP goes, he may well be looking at JMW's experience and, whilst he was probably overplayed earlier in the season due to injuries, he hasn't really featured since and he won't see Smith's arrival as anything other than a smack in the face at his age.

Let's say he left and signed for a Prem club-He could go straight back out on loan to a Championship or League One/Two club ala Golbourne who's earning much more money as a Reading player, yet playing League Two football at places like Accrington Stanley, so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

I hope he looks at how well Cotterill did, having played just a few games and scored some high profile goals.Then it's off to Wigan for a bigger pay day and Internationals for Wales.Not a bad life for a youngster, is it?

Like all City fans I'd like to see him sign and, if he's good enough, play next season-Either that or out on loan to a League One side for regular football.

Guest ashtonyate

If I was Plummer I would take the money and run if he had a bad injury and put out of the game he would get a pat on the head and a lot of sorrys. The real question is should he be able to do that, that's what the F A needs to sort out. I never blame a player for the amount they earn that's the silly fault of the clubs not having a wage structure in

i rekon if he was staying it would have been sorted by now.

if i was city i would sell him, get as much as possible but put in a clause to loan him for a season on our terms.

lets be honest, he aint going to start for a prem club next season is he, beneficial to all concerned.

one word of warning.

didnt we get all this stuff with marvin brown, come to think of it, were is he now?

personally I think any young player who has just turned 17 should grab the chance to sign a Pro Contract with a team, if he got Injured tomorrow and his career is over, he's out of contract at the end of the season and will end up with barely anything and will well regret not signing a pro deal.

you say he isn't a fan of young players or big name players and strangly use Jennison as an example? however how many times has Jennison actually played this season? he's been involved in 34 games so far this season which for a player of his age is a heck of alot, I can't remember where I saw it but I swear there was an interview with Jennison a few days ago where Jennison was saying how he is suprised how many games he has played this season.

Johnson also paid alot of faith last season in Dave Cotterill to which earned the player a £2m move to Wigan.

but the biggest success has to be Richard Keogh, a young player who had played only a few games when he joined the club, he sent him out last season to wycombe to get some games and since then he has threw him into the first team to excellent effect, this season he has played him at Centre half, Centre midfield, right back and left back which is a great testimate to Keogh's ability and Johnson's faith in the player.

He has always praised the efforts this season of Frankie Artus who before long is sure to be a first team player and would be already if not for the form and ability of Noble, Johnson Jnr & Russell.

I think alot of people are getting carried away with the hype of Tristian Plummer, the player is suffering from the same hype that Jennison got last season and has been done no favours by being "touted" to other clubs by his agent, either way he's doing well for a 17 year old, but first team football is still a way away for him, if he decides he wants to move, he will have an even longer wait.

If I was Plummer I would take the money and run if he had a bad injury and put out of the game he would get a pat on the head and a lot of sorrys. The real question is should he be able to do that, that's what the F A needs to sort out. I never blame a player for the amount they earn that's the silly fault of the clubs not having a wage structure in

he's under contract till end of next season so he can't just leave, any club will have to discuss a transfer like any other player.

come the end of next season though he will be out of contract and free to join another club, at which point a tribual will sort out the fee

if he did get an injury though and had to quit playing before he signed a pro deal, although he wouldn't get as much if he was pro, he would still be able to claim on insurnance and get a hefty pay out, I know a former academy player who had to quit through injury while a 2nd year scholor and he got a tidy little pay out, close on 2 years wages for a "normal person"

Guest ashtonyate
he's under contract till end of next season so he can't just leave, any club will have to discuss a transfer like any other player.

come the end of next season though he will be out of contract and free to join another club, at which point a tribual will sort out the fee

if he did get an injury though and had to quit playing before he signed a pro deal, although he wouldn't get as much if he was pro, he would still be able to claim on insurnance and get a hefty pay out, I know a former academy player who had to quit through injury while a 2nd year scholor and he got a tidy little pay out, close on 2 years wages for a "normal person"

If you are talking 50,000k pay out that still peanuts if he signed a deal with a prem club

With regards to keeping his feet on the ground, it was quite refreshing to see him at the end of the Ressies game last night. I'd seen him a few times before and was aware of all the hype lately surrounding him, Everton etc were thought to be monitoring him? So when his friends/family were chatting to him I heard him tell them to wait outside for him so they could all catch the bus home together!

Keeping it real! Good boy!!! :clapping:

If you are talking 50,000k pay out that still peanuts if he signed a deal with a prem club

50k? ummmm, unlikely City would agree to such as figure.

if you look at the recent transfers from young players such as Scott Sinclair and the 3 young leeds player, the system is alot fairer now, they are getting close to a £1m for player swho never even signed a YT contract with their club and left at 16 when out of contracts to join Chelsea, Tristian Plummer at the end of his academy contract will be 18 and we will likely by then be entiled to at least that amount of money probably more as he would be likely to have played 1st team football for us, either way we will get good money for him whether it is now or later.

50k? ummmm, unlikely City would agree to such as figure.

if you look at the recent transfers from young players such as Scott Sinclair and the 3 young leeds player, the system is alot fairer now, they are getting close to a £1m for player swho never even signed a YT contract with their club and left at 16 when out of contracts to join Chelsea, Tristian Plummer at the end of his academy contract will be 18 and we will likely by then be entiled to at least that amount of money probably more as he would be likely to have played 1st team football for us, either way we will get good money for him whether it is now or later.

I think they were talking the amount he's insured for if he has to quit the game, not a possible transfer fee.

Gary Johnson doesn't like youth players?

He was director of Watford's youth academy for several years and on signing for City he mentioned how big a part he envisages that playing in his restructuring of the club.

I think this season was always about escaping league one (for us and GJ) and that will enable him to bring through youth players in a situation where we stand a better chance of keeping hold of them long term and also are under less pressure as regards instant success. Yes, we will be under pressure to retain our position in the league, but that is a different pressure to winning ever game to move up the leagues.

PS I recently posted this topic after finding some info on the net, which isn't directly related, but show how GJ might have a longer assosiation with some of our players than at first glance.

if i was tristian i would sign for city.

Could continue living at home and have that grounding, could potentially be a biggish fish in a smallish pond, as previously stated Marvin Brown had all this hype and where is he now?? More relevantly Aaron Brown is a great example, rejected City's contract offer when out injured touted himself about, failed at Queens Park rovers, played subsequently for those giants at Torquay and Swindle.Now he is yesterdays man.

Sign for City, learn your trade make the grade at Championship level and the world's your oyster.Alternatively go to a big club and play in front of 6-700 people every week in the 'stiffs'.

C'mon Tristan would I give you a bum steer!!??? :city::city::city:

i rekon if he was staying it would have been sorted by now.

if i was city i would sell him, get as much as possible but put in a clause to loan him for a season on our terms.

lets be honest, he aint going to start for a prem club next season is he, beneficial to all concerned.

one word of warning.

didnt we get all this stuff with marvin brown, come to think of it, were is he now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Brown

He is currently playing at Salisbury City, and just looking at him, in 47 stated games played, he has scored 3 goals, so we didn't really lose out there did we :innocent06:

Archived