IGNORED

Russell

reddoc

Now if I could be bothered , I'd go into detail as to why personally I think he's the most influencial player we have at present down the gate. However sod that it's irrelevant. Statos can help me out but his record this season is currently something along the lines of started 22 won 15 drawn 7.

Now at times like this fate, superstition etc takes over I'm afraid. Don't care which team we put out but start Russell cos he's lucky. Even though I know better I bought my 6 yr old a ticket for Millwall , firstly because he's never seen us lose and secondly because I thought I was less likely to get bricked with a little kiddy in tow. Sadly he's got a party to go to so have to take my chances as a bit unfair to say no but makes it imperative that our other lucky pixie starts, because like it or not soon as I see Russell in the starting 11 I relax a little bit.

Also worth noting when I saw the fixtures at the start of the season, said to the mrs that I thought we'd go up at Millwall simply because I'd vowed it's the one place I'd never visit.

For anyone interested there's an under 16 ticket going spare but it's stuck in Tetbury, and more importantly you have to be lucky. Having said that it's free to anyone who wants it.

If he's a lucky talisman hope we give him another season at least. Like him as a player.

I believe he's already got another year as his contract stipulated if he played 20? games this season he'd get an extension

Now if I could be bothered , I'd go into detail as to why personally I think he's the most influencial player we have at present down the gate. However sod that it's irrelevant. Statos can help me out but his record this season is currently something along the lines of started 22 won 15 drawn 7.

Now at times like this fate, superstition etc takes over I'm afraid. Don't care which team we put out but start Russell cos he's lucky. Even though I know better I bought my 6 yr old a ticket for Millwall , firstly because he's never seen us lose and secondly because I thought I was less likely to get bricked with a little kiddy in tow. Sadly he's got a party to go to so have to take my chances as a bit unfair to say no but makes it imperative that our other lucky pixie starts, because like it or not soon as I see Russell in the starting 11 I relax a little bit.

Also worth noting when I saw the fixtures at the start of the season, said to the mrs that I thought we'd go up at Millwall simply because I'd vowed it's the one place I'd never visit.

For anyone interested there's an under 16 ticket going spare but it's stuck in Tetbury, and more importantly you have to be lucky. Having said that it's free to anyone who wants it.

IMO russel was the partly the cause of our poor start. He upset the balance of what has been a fantastic midfield three; skuse, LJ and noble. For me it is simple, you replce skuse with a similar player, keogh. He can sit in and do a holding job, LJ does as he pleases and noble does his job linking MID and ATTACK. Russel wanted to be all three. Keogh proved at Oldham that he can do a significant job in the same role as skuse and has been quality all season, instead GJ brings in an older player that has not had as much first team experiance as Keogh?!?? Not sayin russel is a bad player or had a poor game but just upset the balance of the three usual CMidfielders.

Great result though

B. ORR = LEGEND!! :winner_third_h4h::englandsmile4wf:

IMO russel was the partly the cause of our poor start. He upset the balance of what has been a fantastic midfield three; skuse, LJ and noble. For me it is simple, you replce skuse with a similar player, keogh. He can sit in and do a holding job, LJ does as he pleases and noble does his job linking MID and ATTACK. Russel wanted to be all three. Keogh proved at Oldham that he can do a significant job in the same role as skuse and has been quality all season, instead GJ brings in an older player that has not had as much first team experiance as Keogh?!?? Not sayin russel is a bad player or had a poor game but just upset the balance of the three usual CMidfielders.

Great result though

I fail to see how Keogh has had more first team experience than Russel tbh. Russell must be what a good 8 years older that Keogh. Logic tells me Russell has played more professional games than Keogh so would have more first team experience.

Great result though

Skuse, Noble and LJ had never been a starting three until well after christmas. Not in the same team I mean so you can not blame Aggy for the bad start.

Anyway, good player one of my faves at the club, cant see him getting a contract though but I think he is just what we need. :)

Great result though

That is plain stupid. I don't think anything you said there actually stands up to reason. We have better results with Russell playing than with Skuse fact. Plus Keogh has played about twice in midfield.

Idiot

Great result though

Totally disagree.

Russell has far more experience than Keogh.

Keogh is primarily a centre back, who was played as a right back through necesssity and has done a job in midfield when required. I don't think he had played in midfield until this season.

Russell and Noble were our best midfield pairing last season and were one of the main reasons that our season turned around.

IMO Russell is more of a "total midfielder" (i.e. all round play) than any of the others.

Totally disagree.

Russell has far more experience than Keogh.

Keogh is primarily a centre back, who was played as a right back through necesssity and has done a job in midfield when required. I don't think he had played in midfield until this season.

Russell and Noble were our best midfield pairing last season and were one of the main reasons that our season turned around.

IMO Russell is more of a "total midfielder" (i.e. all round play) than any of the others.

I didn't make it clear, this season keogh has started more games than russel therefore more first team play. Keough is younger and we should be looking to use and develop our younger players. I really feel keough can go far but next season will be a utility player such as P.Neville at ManU. By playing him at carlisle, his all round skills are developing and he will be around longer than russel will.

I agree Russel was quality last season and i even said on the forum at the start of the season that LJ should be dropped during his poor form and replaced by noble or russel. The fact is, the shape and dynamics of the team have now changed and surely by you stating russel is a "total midfielder" you are strengthening my point that he wants to do all three jobs in the midfield. When we play with three in midfield play they have three distinct roles and look like this:

Skuse: Clears danger infront of the defence, plays the ball out to the middle of the pitch

LJ: moves across the middle of the pitch takes the ball on plays the ball forward and makes runs down the flanks supporting the wing backs or wide men

Noble: holds the ball up infront of the forward(s) plays inteligent through balls and basically makes things happen. If you notice when noble plays our play is higher up the pitch because he is great at linking Mid & Attk

Now russel as a ""total midfielder"" wants to do all three of those roles which isn't possible, i think some of you feel I'm getting at russel. I'm not. Think he is a good player i just think tactically keough fits into skuses position far better than russel for the reason that keough is better at sitting in and doing that job. For those of you who went to Oldham you could see that he came on and played that positioin really well.

That is plain stupid. I don't think anything you said there actually stands up to reason. We have better results with Russell playing than with Skuse fact. Plus Keogh has played about twice in midfield.

Idiot

Well i would like you to back that fact up with some hard evidence then.

Plus, did you see keough play at Oldham? Unless you did you cant really appreciate the point I'm making

Well i would like you to back that fact up with some hard evidence then.

Plus, did you see keough play at Oldham? Unless you did you cant really appreciate the point I'm making

I'd prefer you backed your statement up with hard evidence.

The whole thread is about how we have never lost with Russell playing, then you come on saying he was the cause of our bad start yesterday, when the goal was rank bad defending

Weren't you at the game?

Russell's a quality player. The facts, in short:

1) He's won promotion with two other clubs before (Cambridge and Torquay) so he's knows exactly what's required of him and those around him.

2) Russell and Noble were hugely influential in dragging us up from the bottom of the league to the brink of the play-offs last season.

3) This season, he's played 22 games and NEVER been on the losing side and that's some record.

I personally think he offers the team a lot more than Skuse at this moment in time and his experience is invaluable. Sure, he may not be the most mobile or paciest player at the club but if it came to a toss up between him, Keogh or Skuse for a midfield slot, I go for him every time.

Personally I like Alex Russell and think the team is more positive when he is playing , however the way

GJ has set the team up by going 1 goal up and then defending the lead means that a mobile defensive player (Skuse) is preferable in the mind of GJ.

I am not ctitisizing GJ as he has done the job (hopefully) that the previous managers over 9 years could'nt do, I think that GJ realised early on that there was not a lot of goals in the side and has set the team up accordingly.

1 plus point of Russell being a sub, is being able to watch his brilliant skills in the half time kick about on the pitch with the other subs, he is quality

Archived