IGNORED

Andy Cole

Tim S

Ok, assuming we are going to get promoted (touch wood!), one of the main things we are going to need in the Championship is a proven striker.

I was thinking today, and after seeing the Football League Highlights from the Wolves V Birmingham game, I thought how about us trying to get Andy Cole for next season? He proved today that he still has it, and I still think he could do the business at Championship level - maybe even Premiership level if he really wanted to! Maybe his wages might be too much for us... but perhaps the actual move might be a possibility seeing as he has a connection with City, as we were kinda the team that gave him the platform to kick start his career back in 93!

Any thoughts?

Too Slow. i was there at Wolves today, and the amount of times he was off side today cos of having lost his pace was quite a few times. He seemed to always drop off a lot into midfield then didnt have the legs to get back up top.

He still has the finish as shown in the goal he got, but even his link play between Bendtner and the over players wasnt there. If he could get to the box without getting off side he would still get 15 goals a season, but not really there anymore. He would be good for the youngsters and other strikers at the club to have the chance of playing alongside and training with a proven scorer.

His days as a Prem striker are well and truely numbered now, and Championship wasnt totally up with the pace of it.

Plenty of good young promising strikers about who might be cheaper in terms of the overall package; Varney, Maynard, poss. Eastwood,Naismith. We would also be attractive to the likes of Man.U, Arsenal and Chelsea etc, as a Championship club, as possible recipients of loan players.Look at the difference loanees have made at Brum, Derby etc this season.

We need to have Championship aspirations if we are to compete and survive, and that means attracting quality, whenever and wherever possible.

Ok, assuming we are going to get promoted (touch wood!), one of the main things we are going to need in the Championship is a proven striker.

I was thinking today, and after seeing the Football League Highlights from the Wolves V Birmingham game, I thought how about us trying to get Andy Cole for next season? He proved today that he still has it, and I still think he could do the business at Championship level - maybe even Premiership level if he really wanted to! Maybe his wages might be too much for us... but perhaps the actual move might be a possibility seeing as he has a connection with City, as we were kinda the team that gave him the platform to kick start his career back in 93!

Any thoughts?

I said the exact same thing to my old man during the Wolves-Brum game yesterday, just after Cole scored. Typical Andy Cole goal. Something we could do with next season if we want to consolidate.

Smacks of going down the Marcus Stewart route to me, I really don't want to see players coming here for their retirement contract again. Johnson has proved we can get success without the "name" players, lets have some confidence in him finding us the more unknown talent with a poimt to prove and an attitude to match.

What the same Andy Cole who said in his autobiography 'Going to Bristol City was the biggest mistake in my Career' ?

No thanks arrogant **** we were the club who put the guy in the shop window and he said that about us..

C.T.I.D

Having never read his autobiography, can you tell me if he elaborates on why it was the biggest mistake of his career?? Does he actually give any reasons?

What the same Andy Cole who said in his autobiography 'Going to Bristol City was the biggest mistake in my Career' ?

No thanks arrogant **** we were the club who put the guy in the shop window and he said that about us..

C.T.I.D

What a w@nk3r, I never knew he had said that. I always wondered why he never mentioned us in any of the interviews he had after he left. The guy has always seemed like an arrogant twonk, as said before we put him in the shop window instead of rotting in the reserves at Arsenal.

i remember reading the programme for when Bristol City played Carlisle at Millenium stadium. And the person who did a spotlight on Bristol City was ...... Andy Cole.

He said some very good things on us and wished us every success in the next few years. I think the 'biggest mistake in my career was going to bristol city' was probabley taken out of context. He made his name at Bristol City.

I personally would like to see him at City again. Though if he does come to us, it won;t be very long i think

Can't see Cole being the sort of player GJ would want. If we had that sort of money I'm sure he would be more likely to go for a good young player, with the right sort of attitude that would fit into our way of doing things. A player like Cole would be too high risk.

When please ???

Towards the end of his time here when it looked let Les Kew might be stalling on selling him to a big club. I can't remember any more specifically than that and it's not listed in my club books. There was a thread on this a few years back if you fancy ploughing through the archives.

Towards the end of his time here when it looked let Les Kew might be stalling on selling him to a big club. I can't remember any more specifically than that and it's not listed in my club books. There was a thread on this a few years back if you fancy ploughing through the archives.

He missed a penalty aagainst Millwall on a Tuesday night. It was his last game for the club. He wanted to score on his last game but missed i don`t think for a minute that he would miss on purpose

Oh and reference an earlier qoute he did not say in his book that Bristol City was his biggest mistake IMO

As a season ticket holder at Brum for the last 4 years (& still a die hard Bristol City fan), i have seen some strikers come & go at St. Andrews. Andy Cole did not offer much at Wolves yesterday, except a crucial goal! His pace has gone, but his football brain has not. Having other strikers around him with pace (Bentner, Jerome, DJ Campbell, Vine), probabaly means that Bruce can have the luxury of playing him, as proved yesterday.

I have watched the Robins half a dozen times this season & there lack of pace up front is a worry - and will be exposed with some very tough, uncompromising defences around in the Championship.

Cole would be good for the Robins, given the right players around him.

Another point here is that Bruce is a massive Cole fan & will try to retain his services for next season.

Really looking forward to having the Robins in the Championship - lots of teams in the Midlands for me to get to! Albeit most of them are very moody (including Blues), if you know what i mean.

Oh come on..... he was a player under Ferguson for many years - I'm sure the hand grenade is nothing compared to the Hairdryer treatment!

Why do you think Ferguson got rid?

Anyway, Andy Cole won't be good value for money even if he would come here.

We need to be building for the future, that means identifying quality young strikers and bringing them in with a view to the next 4 or 5 years, they'll be cheaper and they will have a future and a drive to succeed with the club rather than get one last pay day.

Good post - this is the mistake that Bruce has made at Brum. Bringing in the likes of Heskey, Butt ..... all on good earners, but zero passion for the club & fans.

GJ seems to have instilled a good team ethic & this should not be destroyed by bringing in some big time charlies.

Archived