IGNORED

Things Work Themseles Out In The End...

Lordofthebling

Isnt it strange how things work themselves out?

I was heartbroken in 2004, sat there amongst the empty seats, I stayed behind to soak up and watch the Brighton players and fans celebrate promotion. I listened to the loud music echoing round the Millenium Stadium, watched the players running towards the fans, the fireworks...

I soaked it up to make promotion much sweeter, if and when it eventually happened for my football club.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we are up yet - I still think it will go down to the final day of the season. However, it got me thinking, if I had the choice, would I have taken promotion in 2004 or 2007?

2004, we had a manager who did not see the potential in Lita, fielded an ageing team in Tinnion, Bell and Rougier and stuck with Peacok and Miller game after game after game. If we had gone up, I feel our team would have struggled in the Championship and we would be in pretty much exactly the same place as Brighton are now.

In 2007, we have a manager who has built a strong team of young, hungry players who without doubt - fight, scrap and play good football for the shirt. We have a management setup that is able to spot talent in the huge shape of McCombe, Basso and McCallister.

I feel we are better prepared for the Championship now than in 2004 - even if it has taken 3 years, a huge amount of ups, downs, heartache and a huge dent in my wallet to almost get there! I have weirdly enjoyed the journey - it certainly is an exciting club to support...

Any thoughts?!

:goingup:

Isnt it strange how things work themselves out?

I was heartbroken in 2004, sat there amongst the empty seats, I stayed behind to soak up and watch the Brighton players and fans celebrate promotion. I listened to the loud music echoing round the Millenium Stadium, watched the players running towards the fans, the fireworks...

I soaked it up to make promotion much sweeter, if and when it eventually happened for my football club.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think we are up yet - I still think it will go down to the final day of the season. However, it got me thinking, if I had the choice, would I have taken promotion in 2004 or 2007?

2004, we had a manager who did not see the potential in Lita, fielded an ageing team in Tinnion, Bell and Rougier and stuck with Peacok and Miller game after game after game. If we had gone up, I feel our team would have struggled in the Championship and we would be in pretty much exactly the same place as Brighton are now.

In 2007, we have a manager who has built a strong team of young, hungry players who without doubt - fight, scrap and play good football for the shirt. We have a management setup that is able to spot talent in the huge shape of McCombe, Basso and McCallister.

I feel we are better prepared for the Championship now than in 2004 - even if it has taken 3 years, a huge amount of ups, downs, heartache and a huge dent in my wallet to almost get there! I have weirdly enjoyed the journey - it certainly is an exciting club to support...

Any thoughts?!

:goingup:

I literally had to be dragged out of my seat at the Mill Stad after the Brighton game. I was just sat there looking forward with a blank expression on my face. Thinking "If only this, If only that. When will be our next chance?" Now i know, this is our chance and we WILL NOT blow it!

definatley agree

The last 7 years, Supporting this football club has been a rollercoaster ride. I am only 18 and can only briefly remember our time in first division in 1998-99.

So for me, promotion for City this season will be a very very sweet moment for me because it's my first real promotion. And because of the past of joy and despair in this Ruddy league (had to get that in) Promotion will be all the more better.

i just hope the next two weeks will be one of the most enjoyable moment of my life, and look back at it in 30 years time and tell my kids. "That was the start of the Gary Johnson revelution"

:winner_third_h4h:

An interesting perspective and I see where you're coming from. I think you're probably right to post-rationalise things in this way. However, there's never a wrong time to be promoted. I'm sure that, had we gone up in 2004 we would have seen Lita come through - Wilson would surely have brought him through eventually? - and spent on new players.

Whilst Wilson had some detractors, I thought that he was a decent manager for us - although he failed to deliver when it counted most. I'll never understand his tactics in the play off final. What he has achieved at Hartlepool this year is testimony to his management abilities. However, I was pleased when City appointed GJ and have never once had reason to doubt his appointment.

I think our team will need considerable reinforcement to enable us to consolidate in the Championship (if/when we get there). GJ's ability to recruit the right guys - particularly strikers - will be crucial. But I'm convinced that he'll get it right.

Johnson is one of the best managers we've ever had here. I hope that he's here for many, many years to come. He's got it right on the field but as importantly, he's got it right OFF the field and got rid of the alleged drinking culture which it seems, Wilson allowed. The future's bright ... provided we get those 3 more points!

definatley agree

The last 7 years, Supporting this football club has been a rollercoaster ride. I am only 18 and can only briefly remember our time in first division in 1998-99.

So for me, promotion for City this season will be a very very sweet moment for me because it's my first real promotion. And because of the past of joy and despair in this Ruddy league (had to get that in) Promotion will be all the more better.

i just hope the next two weeks will be one of the most enjoyable moment of my life, and look back at it in 30 years time and tell my kids. "That was the start of the Gary Johnson revelution"

:winner_third_h4h:

In exactly the same boat mate. Being 18 meself cant really remember the last promotion season too well. This seasons promotion will beat the LDV win against Carlisle, my experience at Wembley agaisnt Stoke and also watching England in 1998 against Saudi Arabia.

It will be the best moment of my life seeing us get promoted.

An interesting perspective and I see where you're coming from. I think you're probably right to post-rationalise things in this way. However, there's never a wrong time to be promoted. I'm sure that, had we gone up in 2004 we would have seen Lita come through - Wilson would surely have brought him through eventually? - and spent on new players.

Whilst Wilson had some detractors, I thought that he was a decent manager for us - although he failed to deliver when it counted most. I'll never understand his tactics in the play off final. What he has achieved at Hartlepool this year is testimony to his management abilities. However, I was pleased when City appointed GJ and have never once had reason to doubt his appointment.

I think our team will need considerable reinforcement to enable us to consolidate in the Championship (if/when we get there). GJ's ability to recruit the right guys - particularly strikers - will be crucial. But I'm convinced that he'll get it right.

Johnson is one of the best managers we've ever had here. I hope that he's here for many, many years to come. He's got it right on the field but as importantly, he's got it right OFF the field and got rid of the alleged drinking culture which it seems, Wilson allowed. The future's bright ... provided we get those 3 more points!

Interesting and I don't want anyone to think I am anti Wilson. It was more of a case in point that we had no scouting network, our team was ageing rapidly and there was very much a clique in place. I just feel that if we had gone up, the likes of Bell, Butler, Rougier and sadly Tinnion would have struggled with the pace of a gruelling season in the Championship.

It just feels like its the right time and the setup at Ashton Gate is ready.

I personally thought we were ready to make the step up in 2004. That team would have gone from strength to strength and done well in the Championship. It haunted me all through the dark days of Tinnion, and that 9 match losing run...that if we had just won that Brighton match, things would be so much different.

At last we should be able to get some closure on that awful day in Cardiff especially with Brightons current position now.

Interesting and I don't want anyone to think I am anti Wilson. It was more of a case in point that we had no scouting network, our team was ageing rapidly and there was very much a clique in place. I just feel that if we had gone up, the likes of Bell, Butler, Rougier and sadly Tinnion would have struggled with the pace of a gruelling season in the Championship.

It just feels like its the right time and the setup at Ashton Gate is ready.

I don't think Wilson has what it takes to be a good manager, even with his record at Barnsley and Hartlepool. He's technically good but lacks on the motivation and discipline fronts. I rate him with Steve McClaren - a top quality No. 2. And that's not a bad thing.

If he was still here how confident could we really be that the nightmare scenario of playing the gas in the league next season wouldn't arise?

i feel more like we're owed promotion this time, not expecting it

either way i think we'll get it and have no problem satying up if we make a few chnages, wouldn't ruddy be a good reserve keeper, nothing against weale but you cant afford to have injury prone players in the championship.

Sorry brooker , but although your service has been brill, we cant be doing with the liability anymore.

i think wilson likes attacking on the floor football which is why hartlepool do well , as they are the only not up up and away in the air team in the league. Difference is its the only tactic he knows and they will get easy sussed out in the next league, i think he is a good fans manager and agree he would be a good number 2 anywhere, but I'm delighted to see him do well for another club.

It will be the best moment of my life seeing us get promoted.

Aye, lad.

It will mean a hell of a lot to a hell of a lot of people, if, if....

'76, '84, '90, '98.....2007 ??? Me and you are on the brink of being there at a vocal point in what will become history.

Not like me to be melodramatic :innocent06: but I've been almost welling up reading this thread - soppy old sod.

As for Wilson, in hindsight it wasn't right.

Under Ward, Oooh Shaun Taylor and One Shauny Goater were the key's - not intending to take anything away from the scholar.

This feel's solid and true now though. In Gary Johnson I do trust and I vow now to seek him out for what will probably be an emotional encounter if or when we get over that line.

Caving in now is an unconceivable thought.

Aye, lad.

It will mean a hell of a lot to a hell of a lot of people, if, if....

'76, '84, '90, '98.....2007 ??? Me and you are on the brink of being there at a vocal point in what will become history.

Not like me to be melodramatic :innocent06: but I've been almost welling up reading this thread - soppy old sod.

Being 18, i wasnt around in 76 and 84, and was only 1 and a half in 90. don't really remember much about 98 as was only 9 at the time so this is it for me. My first real promotion.

Every interview on the city about it makes me smile like a cheshire cat. I really cant wait for Millwall. then the pi55 up afterwards!!!

I was so so gutted after the Brighton game and I think it had a huge effect on the club for the last two seasons, always the team that loses in the play-offs struggle the next season.

Why didn't Wilson have Lita on the bench!!!! Lots of if's and but's but this tread got me thinking and one sad aspect of it all was Tinman was given the Management role(something at the time I agreed with) maybe to early or at a difficult time (see above) It was a sad way for a man to exit the club after 11 years of mostly wonderful service.

If we got promo then he could have headed up our youth setup, something he looks good at otherwise Charlton wouldn't have given him the role in Spain/role at the Football school.

Maybe he would help brng Plummer etc through earlier?

Tinman is still a leg-end

Being 18, i wasnt around in 76 and 84, and was only 1 and a half in 90. don't really remember much about 98 as was only 9 at the time so this is it for me. My first real promotion.

Every interview on the city about it makes me smile like a cheshire cat. I really cant wait for Millwall. then the pi55 up afterwards!!!

;)

I was so so gutted after the Brighton game and I think it had a huge effect on the club for the last two seasons, always the team that loses in the play-offs struggle the next season.

Why didn't Wilson have Lita on the bench!!!! Lots of if's and but's but this tread got me thinking and one sad aspect of it all was Tinman was given the Management role(something at the time I agreed with) maybe to early or at a difficult time (see above) It was a sad way for a man to exit the club after 11 years of mostly wonderful service.

If we got promo then he could have headed up our youth setup, something he looks good at otherwise Charlton wouldn't have given him the role in Spain/role at the Football school.

I for one am saddened by what went on there.

I'd love him to be at AG on May 5th if not found a role on merit within the Club.

Like you implied: Living Legend.

Sentiment and Football though.... :(

Don't remember much before 98 being twenty, but living outside of bristol made it hard to go as often as i could now, so only went to a few games in 98. Will be my first real promotion.

its kind of odd, but I know in the last promotion season us and watford were so far ahead that it was just a matter of time. Then we sold goater and the goals dried up a bit, Shaun Taylor got injured and we limped over the line.

89/90 is the best season I can remember. Again though, I think someone else lost which got us up, and then the rovers game happened and they pipped us to the championship, and Super Bob got injured which slowed our momentum a bit. I remember the last game of the season was walsall (who were our bogey-team) and we gave them a drubbing, 4 nil. Either way, I was stood in the east end, then went round to the front of the dolman and ran on the pitch at full time! It was fantastic. I obviously want it all put to bed against millwall, but I cant think what it will be like against rotherham if that is the game that decides it, hartlepool in the playoffs was awesome, but can you imagine a similar ending against rotherham to put us up?

After all the near misses I still cant celebrate until we have that 3 points, but I have more faith in this team than just about any I can remember not to lose their bottle.

Si.

I am bit like simon above - great to have 3 points but amazing if we do it on the last day

65 2-0 against oldham final day. Just one defeat in the last 2 months ?

76 tight 0-0 draw with Rovers at Eastville then the 1-0 home gainst Pompey

84 beat swindon at home but it wasn't enough - last minute (?) winner at Chester did the trick

90 I was so entertaned by that team but Bob Taylor was injured. Morgan was a good replacement but should have been champions. We got promoyted by Notts Co darwing at reading - we didn't play the day we got

promoted

98 we were a long way in front of Grimsby and getting promoted was an anti climax sort of. Good final day win against Walsall 2-1 aftre being 1-0 down. Wasn't Sean McCarthy bad? We could have played Jason Roberts but Ward went for experience

its kind of odd, but I know in the last promotion season us and watford were so far ahead that it was just a matter of time. Then we sold goater and the goals dried up a bit, Shaun Taylor got injured and we limped over the line.

89/90 is the best season I can remember. Again though, I think someone else lost which got us up, and then the rovers game happened and they pipped us to the championship, and Super Bob got injured which slowed our momentum a bit. I remember the last game of the season was walsall (who were our bogey-team) and we gave them a drubbing, 4 nil. Either way, I was stood in the east end, then went round to the front of the dolman and ran on the pitch at full time! It was fantastic. I obviously want it all put to bed against millwall, but I cant think what it will be like against rotherham if that is the game that decides it, hartlepool in the playoffs was awesome, but can you imagine a similar ending against rotherham to put us up?

After all the near misses I still cant celebrate until we have that 3 points, but I have more faith in this team than just about any I can remember not to lose their bottle.

Si.

I'm a bit torn on this one ,if i had a crystal ball and i knew we were going to beat rotherham,id rather see us do it then ,,but then it wouldent be any fun,,no give us the 3 points saturday please,i don't think my ticker can take anymore this season.

We had to watch the play off final against Brighton in a pub in Devon as we were on holiday. It was just my husband, me and our 3 kids. No one else was interested in watching until a family of Plymouth Argyle fans appeared and started to take a bit of interest in the game. For some reason they really disliked City and wanted Brighton to win. We just ignored them but they just thought it funny to wind us up and upset out kids ( who were only 9, 7 and 6 at time.) Of course they were thrilled at end result. Our eldest son started to cry and so did I . The Argyle fans did apologise when they saw how upset my son was to see City lose but we have never forgotten them especially when Argyle are mentioned in the Championship so will be glad be joining them and hopefully beatiing them twice.!! My son went and hid himself away for the rest of the day. He already has his ticket for Rotherham and his tears will be for happiness this time!!

We had to watch the play off final against Brighton in a pub in Devon as we were on holiday. It was just my husband, me and our 3 kids. No one else was interested in watching until a family of Plymouth Argyle fans appeared and started to take a bit of interest in the game. For some reason they really disliked City and wanted Brighton to win. We just ignored them but they just thought it funny to wind us up and upset out kids ( who were only 9, 7 and 6 at time.) Of course they were thrilled at end result. Our eldest son started to cry and so did I . The Argyle fans did apologise when they saw how upset my son was to see City lose but we have never forgotten them especially when Argyle are mentioned in the Championship so will be glad be joining them and hopefully beatiing them twice.!! My son went and hid himself away for the rest of the day. He already has his ticket for Rotherham and his tears will be for happiness this time!!

Well hopefully Helen, we will be up by the Rotherham game.

Then we can all enjoy a fantastic day out at Ashton Gate and I for one will be balling my eyes out at the end of 90 minutes if we are up!

What if Lita had played and it had made no difference whatsoever to the outcome.....

We will never know......... in some ways the 'Team' then were stronger I think and playing against better opposition that year

I sat there till the end........ my hopes dashed from the optimism of the travelling to the game to the shattered dreams and the I can't believe it journey back home to Dorset............ I no longer care, all that matters now is that we win one more game and get AUTOMATIC PROMOTION........ I saw some very good games when Danny Wilson was the boss but hey that is also history..... lets hope that Gary & The Team does it for us all this time round

UP THE CITY! as my Dear Old 'Nan Bristol' used to say

Archived