IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

City Ben

He's got a lot of cr@p on here in the past, but I've been pretty impressed with his decisions recently... Firstly he seems to have done the right thing with the East End, and opened it for the end of season games; then he told the Gas where to go before the idea even got off the gournd; next he's sorting out a beam-back of the Millwall game... oh, and he's decided to float his company and make a few quid to (surely) invest in the City too. Good work Steve!

I know a lot of people have been on his back for a while, but it's struck me that he's been listening to the fans a lot more recently - for example, the timing of the announcement about the Gas not sharing with us was pretty much identical to the peak of hatred running through this forum about the Rovers moving here. Fair play to him is what I say.

He's got a lot of cr@p on here in the past, but I've been pretty impressed with his decisions recently... Firstly he seems to have done the right thing with the East End, and opened it for the end of season games; then he told the Gas where to go before the idea even got off the gournd; next he's sorting out a beam-back of the Millwall game... oh, and he's decided to float his company and make a few quid to (surely) invest in the City too. Good work Steve!

I know a lot of people have been on his back for a while, but it's struck me that he's been listening to the fans a lot more recently - for example, the timing of the announcement about the Gas not sharing with us was pretty much identical to the peak of hatred running through this forum about the Rovers moving here. Fair play to him is what I say.

Have to admit. I have been one of his biggest critics. But i will hold my hand up, he has impressed me with some/most of his decisions recently. Namely about the Gas ground share. Also what he said in the Q&A forum against Swansea. Said that if we go up (when it lookslike now), the wage budget will be doubled from £2.5million to £5million. Also i would imagine more money for transfer fees will be available. Thus being able to attract the better players we need.

I hope we don't make the same mistake as last time we go up and throw money at it. However i don't think Johnson would anyway even if given the money, well not straight away. The main thing i respect about Steve L is the fact that he works within his budget.

Aye, I thought I had a differing outlook to him concerning what should constitute a Football Club, conflict is imevitable.

He's human like the rest of us as was made evident with the ''judge me on Tinman'' remark.

In the appointment of GJ I was pleased, he is a most affable and approachable chap I just pray he'll now continue to lend an ear The People's way as we embark on this new dawn.....

• SC&T Board Members
:city: He's a top bloke and a real City fan,we couldn't wish for a better man at the helm. :clap::clap::clap:

Yes, top bloke and good chairman - but get your facts right: He spent his formative years on the Tote End and in my humble opinion a 'real fan' of any club never changes their allegiance.

Yes, top bloke and good chairman - but get your facts right: He spent his formative years on the Tote End and in my humble opinion a 'real fan' of any club never changes their allegiance.

Course you can change, just most people don't.

Great Chairman but then we have been lucky to have a lot of good board members over the last few years.

The dark days of David Russe and his "Nights of European glory down the Gate" seem a distant memory.

I'm going to be buying a load of Steve's shares next week so I'm assuming I can trust him.

Guest ashtonyate
:city: He's a top bloke and a real City fan,we couldn't wish for a better man at the helm. :clap::clap::clap:

Sorry but telling the Gas that they can't come to Ashton Gate does not make him a great Chairman A lot of people on this forum have short memories. Since he has been in charge the club has gone through one of the leanest times in the Clubs history.

He has made many mistakes in the past to name just a few.

Not down grading the Academy when we were relegated to give more money to rebuild the team.

Not seeing that Danny Wilson had lost the plot should not have renewed his contract

Buying a raw Scot for £375 k which was plain daft for a third division Club

Making Tinnion Manager without a good understudy to help him, plus making him manager at all he should never done that

Telling Tinnion there was no money to spend and to sign free agents how much has that cost the club. That's why the club has taken out long term loans which we were told would never happen again after 1982

That's some of the main complaints

To his credit getting a manager who knew what to do to get us back on track.[but have you noticed that all the ex academy players have gone Doherty and co, Tinnion and Johnson knew what was wrong with the club over the last few years]

Plus taking on the job and stick en with it great manager no not yet in my eyes

Sorry but telling the Gas that they can't come to Ashton Gate does not make him a great Chairman A lot of people on this forum have short memories. Since he has been in charge the club has gone through one of the leanest times in the Clubs history.

Not down grading the Academy when we were relegated to give more money to rebuild the team.

Not seeing that Danny Wilson had lost the plot should not have renewed his contract

Making Tinnion Manager without a good understudy to help him, plus making him manager at all he should never done that

Telling Tinnion there was no money to spend and to sign free agents how much has that cost the club. That's why the club has taken out long term loans which we were told would never happen again after 1982

To his credit getting a manager who knew what to do to get us back on track.[but have you noticed that all the ex academy players have gone Doherty and co, Tinnion and Johnson knew what was wrong with the club over the last few years]

Very harsh to blame most of the above on SL. Did he give away the penalty against Brighton in the play-off final? It's not his job to decide on new signings, it's his job to provide funding for them when available, which he has.

Appointing Tins was in retrospect a mistake, but I can't really blame him for that as I was happy with it at the time.

As for the comment on the academy, well, let's not go there in this thread shall we?

All in all, I'm very happy with SL as chairman. Yes, as noted above, there are still a few issues with regards the EE, but hey, we're Bristol City fans, so we're never going to be completely happy, are we?!

Guest ashtonyate
Very harsh to blame most of the above on SL. Did he give away the penalty against Brighton in the play-off final? It's not his job to decide on new signings, it's his job to provide funding for them when available, which he has.

Appointing Tins was in retrospect a mistake, but I can't really blame him for that as I was happy with it at the time.

As for the comment on the academy, well, let's not go there in this thread shall we?

All in all, I'm very happy with SL as chairman. Yes, as noted above, there are still a few issues with regards the EE, but hey, we're Bristol City fans, so we're never going to be completely happy, are we?!

I think you can blame him for Tinnions appointment at the very least he should have got some one with experience to help him

No he was not on the pitch at Cardiff but i felt they was a bit lacking in the team the way you never knew which city would play the good one or the rubbish one, now johnson will not stand that crap from the players but Wilson would

No he was not on the pitch at Cardiff but i felt they was a bit lacking in the team the way you never knew which city would play the good one or the rubbish one, now johnson will not stand that crap from the players but Wilson would

Er, you what? So how is Lansdown to blame for not knowing what City would turn up?

Good for you that you can use the power of hindsight and complain..

Thats all i have to say about the negative aspects of your post..

Guest ashtonyate
Er, you what? So how is Lansdown to blame for not knowing what City would turn up?

Because its down to the Manager to put out a team that will play for him half of the time Wilson's teams never performed to there potential.

Now a good Chairman would wonder if he has the right manager in charge when the team goes walk about, and do something about it. After Cardiff Wilson could have still kept his job if he wanted to.

Can you see Johnson putting up with that from the player. At the end of day who employees the Manager the Chairman & board

You are possibly the only person in existence that thinks that

ditto

so backing the manager with cash to buy his transfer targets is wrong?

The feeling was there for a good few years that Tinnion was going to be manager one day. Maybe appointed too soon but that's about the worst of it

Steve Lansdown has never said anything other than he will back the manager financially without ever saying how much there is to spend. I don't recall Tins ever being told there was no money available. Didn't we pay for Steve Brooker?

Because its down to the Manager to put out a team that will play for him half of the time Wilson's teams never performed to there potential.

Now a good Chairman would wonder if he has the right manager in charge when the team goes walk about, and do something about it. After Cardiff Wilson could have still kept his job if he wanted to.

Can you see Johnson putting up with that from the player. At the end of day who employees the Manager the Chairman & board

Lansdown virtually pushed Wilson out the door though.

Guest ashtonyate

UOTE(ashtonyate @ Apr 25 2007, 1:09 PM) *

You are possibly the only person in existence that thinks that

May be so but thats seems to be the biggest differance between us and all the other teams who have got promoted

ditto

so backing the manager with cash to buy his transfer targets is wrong?

I don't think Wilson had a lot to do with that signing some fans seen him play when on hoilday and Lansdowne done the deal

The feeling was there for a good few years that Tinnion was going to be manager one day. Maybe appointed too soon but that's about the worst of it

He took a gamble with the club after Wilson the last thing City needed was a rookie Manager

Steve Lansdown has never said anything other than he will back the manager financially without ever saying how much there is to spend. I don't recall Tins ever being told there was no money available. Didn't we pay for Steve Brooker?

Brooker was the only big money signing made & and tinnion was told to sign free players

Archived