IGNORED

Rest In Peace

kachina

World Cup winner Ball dies at 61

Ball was a key part of England's World Cup winning team in 1966

World Cup winner Alan Ball has died of a heart attack at the age of 61.

Ball was a key member of the England side that won the World Cup in 1966 and went on to win 72 caps for his country.

He started his career at Blackpool and went on to play for Everton, Arsenal and Southampton before a playing spell in the United States of America.

He also managed seven clubs over a 19-year period, including two spells with Portsmouth as well as Southampton and Manchester City.

Ball was awarded an MBE in 2000 for his services to football.

He is the second member of the side that beat West Germany 4-2 at Wembley to die. Captain Bobby Moore died of cancer in 1993.

taken from bbc site,

rest in peace, a true English legend.

Obviously far too young to remember him playing. Only vageuely remember him at Man City in the mid 90's.

Still a great loss for English football. Hopefully a minute silence/applause will be observed at most, if not all grounds in the country on saturday.

RIP Alan Ball.

have about the same recollection of him, due to age. was a legend though

RIP Alan Ball

Guest mesa boogie

Absolute legend, the only World Cup Winner to play for either Bristol club? My Dad was lucky enough to hold his WC medal when he played for us.

i met him many a times during my time working for Mick Channon, real pleasure in the yard, always spoke to the lads and was a good laugh and never afraid to tell a joke,

a genuine man who was a genuine player, a real honour to English football and one of 15 men who will always stand high in any accolade of football. A real legend and one who will be sourly missed.

Rest in peace Alan,

i met him many a times during my time working for Mick Channon, real pleasure in the yard, always spoke to the lads and was a good laugh and never afraid to tell a joke,

a genuine man who was a genuine player, a real honour to English football and one of 15 men who will always stand high in any accolade of football. A real legend and one who will be sourly missed.

Rest in peace Alan,

Very sad news.

RIP

Very sad news R.I.P :englandflag:

ALAN BALL FACTFILE

Born: Lancashire 12/05/1945

Playing career: Played for Blackpool, Everton, Arsenal, Southampton, Philadelphia Fury, Vancouver Whitecaps (player manager), Blackpool (player manager), Southampton, Eastern (Hong Kong), Bristol Rovers

Made 975 appearances in a 21-year career

Managerial career: Portsmouth, Colchester, Stoke, Exeter, Southampton, Manchester City, Portsmouth

Honours: World Cup (1966), league title (1970)

Guest mesa boogie
You may be right, seems a shame if they didn't though

I'm pretty sure it's true. I don't think Jimmy Greaves got a medal and he played in a couple of matches.

The guy was a legend. i managed to find the lyrics to the famous Oasis song when the man City fans changed the lyrics...Enjoy

Today will be another day, I wish I'd never been a Blue

I'm sure we saw it all before when we went down to division 2

I don't believe that any team has played the way we do,

apart from Slough.

Last week we had a bad defeat that we really could have done without

Felt sure that we were going to score, but again we left the field with nowt

I don't believe that Bill Shank-er-ley could stop us going down,

Nor could Don Howe

And all the roads to Wemb-er-ley are winding

We ain't got any silverware for shining

We haven't won a single thing for over 20 years

and we wont do now

Cos maybe, we should have got Liam Brady

But after all we got Alan Ball

Today was going to be the day when I thought we'd sign someone new

But the deal crashed, not enough cash, and he'd only ever played for Crewe

I don't beleive that anybody would sign in their right mind anyhow

And all the shots we have on goal go wider

No one ever seems to play a blinder

There are many teams that I would love to see us beat

But I can't see how

Cos maybe, we should have got Richard Madeley

But after all we got Alan Ball.

I was 11 in 1966, but it was watching England win the World Cup that made me fall for football in a big way, as it did for so many of my generation. Alan Ball was a superstar - the first hundred thousand pound footballer. The first to wear white boots, when everyone else wore black. There was something special about him.

A few years ago (last time we got promotion in fact) I was at Swindon to see us play, waiting in the foyer for some tickets we were due to pick up. Alan Ball walked in. He was managing Pompey at the time and Swindon were their next opponents. He nodded to me and said 'hello' as he passed and a man in his forties suddenly became 11 again. I've met some pretty well known people in my time, some of them a lot more famous than Ballie. But I'll never forget the day Alan Ball said hello to me. Alan Ball! He won the World Cup, and I saw him do it.

May he rest in peace.

Archived