IGNORED

Carl Hutchings

TMWANG50

Carl Hutchings: Shaily catches up with a former Brentford player-turned trader and author

By Mark Shail 07-01-07

Carl Hutchings began his career at Brentford in the mid-1990s, where he played in a play-off final at Wembley, before going to wear the colours of Bristol City, Southend and Leyton Orient. Now, 32, Hutchings is retired from the game and works as a stocks and shares trader - and he has also written a book called 'The Soccer Millionaire Mindset'. Givemefootball's Mark Shail is the man with the questions.

HOW DID YOU GET INVOLVED WITH TRADING IN STOCKS AND SHARES?

I undertook a college course called Traders University and the guy that was actually taking the course invited me for some works experience at his trading company. I then spent six months watching how the markets work and the experience I gained there was invaluable, learning about the economics of companies as well as the trading cycles.

DO YOU WORK FROM HOME NOW?

Yes I do most of my work from home, although I also do my own private tutoring for people who want to learn about shares in the different sectors and teaching them how to trade live. I've also written a book called 'The Soccer Millionaires Mindset', which tries to give people a basic understanding of what it takes to succeed in trading in stocks and shares.

ARE THERE ANY SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE JOB YOU DO NOW COMPARED TO WHEN YOU PLAYED FOOTBALL?

You may be surprised, but there are some similarities. To succeed as a footballer you have to be disciplined, determined and focussed and that's the same mindset required to be a success as a trader. I touch on a lot of these issues in the book.

DO YOU MISS FOOTBALL?

If I'm honest not at all, probably because I moved into something totally different soon after finishing. In fact when I finished playing some three years ago I don't think I turned the television on and watched a live game for about two years. It's only since my little boy has started playing on a Saturday and a Sunday that I've started to take more of an interest again because he loves his football.

LOOKING BACK AT YOUR CAREER, WHAT WAS THE HAPPIEST TIME FOR YOU?

It was during my early days at Brentford. I was playing alongside the likes of Bobby Taylor, Marcus Gayle, Marcus Bent, Nick Forster and Barry Ashby. We had a great team spirit at the club at that time and we reached the play-off final at Wembley. They were good times and happy memories.

WHAT ABOUT THE BEST PLAYERS YOU PLAYED WITH?

Again, it would be a few of those guys at Brentford. Bob Taylor was always a big fella but he had a great touch and was an excellent finisher. Marcus Bent was a player with great pace and has gone on to perform at the highest level, while Marcus Gayle was so versatile and was equally effective out wide as he was up front.

AND THE BEST PLAYER YOU PLAYED AGAINST?

It has to be Georgi Kinkladze while he was at Manchester City. At that time he was probably one of the best players in the Premiership. He was only small but he had great balance and ability and you just couldn't get near him when he had the ball at his feet.

An unusal career for a ex pro t go in to i would have thought but good to see he is doing well. Shows there is life after football and for a lot of players football is just a short career and something has to be doe when that career is over.

Archived