IGNORED

Arthur Milton

Rudolf Hucker

Arthur Milton, the last man to play football and cricket for England, has died at his Bristol home at the age of 79.

Milton played cricket for Gloucestershire for 26 years, captaining the county in 1968. He scored more than 32,000 first class runs at an average of 33 and made six Test appearances for England between 1958 and 1959.

As a footballer, he made 84 appearances for Arsenal, scoring 21 goals and was a member of their First Division title winning side in 1953.

He also played 14 league and 2 cup games for City in 1954/55, scoring 3 times.

Bristol born and bred. RIP.

Arthur Milton, the last man to play both football and cricket for England, has died at his home in Bristol. He was 79.

Born and raised in Bristol and a former pupil of Cotham Grammar School, Milton was a stylish batsman who made his debut for Gloucestershire in 1948 and was an ever-present until he retired aged 46 at the end of 1974. He was a natural at any ball game: a fleet-footed winger who went off to Arsenal, he also played golf, tennis, even bet on the dogs better than his team-mates.

Blond and slight, was the last of a rare breed - the double cricket/football international. In his first Test, against New Zealand at Headingley in 1958 Milton - opening the innings with a rugby cap in Mike Smith - collected 104 not out. That won him a place on the following winter's tour of Australia, where the opposition was rather more ferocious than the outclassed New Zealanders, and Milton struggled, as did his fellow double international Willie Watson. Milton finished his six-Test career with 204 runs at 25.50.

He was happier batting for Gloucestershire, which he did until he was in his mid-forties. He finished with more than 32,000 runs and 56 hundreds in first-class cricket, most of them from the top of the order, while his tally of 758 catches emphasises his value in the field, where he was a star close in, especially at short leg. A Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1959, in retirement he became a postman in the Cotswolds.

"There are so many reasons for the sadness we all feel," said John Light, the county's chairman. "Anyone who can play both cricket and football to international level has to be especially gifted and indeed Arthur was. He attributed his soccer success to the passing accuracy of his inside right partner at Arsenal, Jimmy Logie. There was no Logie however in the Aston Gate mud. Arthur came home from Arsenal and gave impetus to the City's promotion drive. The extra dimension he brought ensured promotion.

"He made cricket seem so easy, playing largely off the back foot he always seemed to have so much time. Running between the wickets was his forte. Was there ever a better runner between the wickets? Cover fielders were exasperated as "roll and stroll" Arthur took single after single. 'I have never seen this man Milton take a difficult catch,' said a not-very-expert cricket-watcher. What he should have said was 'I have never seen Milton make a catch look difficult'. Such was his anticipation and sure handedness he was outstanding close to the wicket."

Arthur Milton, the last man to play both football and cricket for England, has died at his home in Bristol. He was 79.

Born and raised in Bristol and a former pupil of Cotham Grammar School, Milton was a stylish batsman who made his debut for Gloucestershire in 1948 and was an ever-present until he retired aged 46 at the end of 1974. He was a natural at any ball game: a fleet-footed winger who went off to Arsenal, he also played golf, tennis, even bet on the dogs better than his team-mates.

Blond and slight, was the last of a rare breed - the double cricket/football international. In his first Test, against New Zealand at Headingley in 1958 Milton - opening the innings with a rugby cap in Mike Smith - collected 104 not out. That won him a place on the following winter's tour of Australia, where the opposition was rather more ferocious than the outclassed New Zealanders, and Milton struggled, as did his fellow double international Willie Watson. Milton finished his six-Test career with 204 runs at 25.50.

He was happier batting for Gloucestershire, which he did until he was in his mid-forties. He finished with more than 32,000 runs and 56 hundreds in first-class cricket, most of them from the top of the order, while his tally of 758 catches emphasises his value in the field, where he was a star close in, especially at short leg. A Wisden Cricketer of the Year in 1959, in retirement he became a postman in the Cotswolds.

"There are so many reasons for the sadness we all feel," said John Light, the county's chairman. "Anyone who can play both cricket and football to international level has to be especially gifted and indeed Arthur was. He attributed his soccer success to the passing accuracy of his inside right partner at Arsenal, Jimmy Logie. There was no Logie however in the Aston Gate mud. Arthur came home from Arsenal and gave impetus to the City's promotion drive. The extra dimension he brought ensured promotion.

"He made cricket seem so easy, playing largely off the back foot he always seemed to have so much time. Running between the wickets was his forte. Was there ever a better runner between the wickets? Cover fielders were exasperated as "roll and stroll" Arthur took single after single. 'I have never seen this man Milton take a difficult catch,' said a not-very-expert cricket-watcher. What he should have said was 'I have never seen Milton make a catch look difficult'. Such was his anticipation and sure handedness he was outstanding close to the wicket."

Once upon a time 'Kids' would aspire to be someone like this......... we collectively need to turn our youth around?

Very sad news indeed. Arthur Milton, the last man to play both football and cricket for England, has died at his home in Bristol. He was 79.

Both I and cheshire_red attended Cotham Grammar School in Bristol long after the great Arthur Milton was a pupil there. Arthur Milton was a true Bristolian legend and a team member of Bristol City's last Championship winning side way back in 1955.

Bristol has now lost one of its greatest ever sporting heroes. Please click on the URL below to read cheshire_red's tribute to the great man......

http://www.bristolcitynet.co.uk/

cheshire_red Posted on 25/4 21:15 Email this Message | Edit | Reply

Arthur Milton RIP - Last Dual International

25th May certainly wasnt a good day for football was it,

rest in peace.

Too many sherberts???

It's only April 25th, my birthday.

As another ex Cothamite and someone who watched Arthur play cricket, I also express my sorrow at another Bristol legend.

RIP Arthur.

TERRIBLE FOR Ball Thread to stay and Milton to get relegated to socail City :disapointed2se: excuse me Ball although a great man played for the sags Milton played for us DOLLY explain please

I met Arthur several times through my uncle who is well known in local sporting circles. He was never anything less than an absolute gentleman and had a very dry sense of humour that lots of people would miss completely.

He was an enthusiast of Bristol sport and wanted success for the City as a whole rather than just the teams he played for.

I met Arthur several times through my uncle who is well known in local sporting circles. He was never anything less than an absolute gentleman and had a very dry sense of humour that lots of people would miss completely.

He was an enthusiast of Bristol sport and wanted success for the City as a whole rather than just the teams he played for.

I would like to join with Steve Lansdown in sending my condolences to the family and friends of Arthur Milton. I never saw him play but, as my parent's postman, I was privileged to meet him. A real gentleman, and as an international, at both cricket and football, a real sporting legend.

May the boys win promotion in your honour on Saturday. I know you would have been proud.

R.I.P.

I would like to join with Steve Lansdown in sending my condolences to the family and friends of Arthur Milton. I never saw him play but, as my parent's postman, I was privileged to meet him. A real gentleman, and as an international, at both cricket and football, a real sporting legend.

May the boys win promotion in your honour on Saturday. I know you would have been proud.

R.I.P.

Lovely man, salt of the earth, played football against him in the early 70's. Even then his skill shone through. R.I.P. Mr Milton.

Archived