IGNORED

Players In And Out For Next Season

cummins17

who would you let go if we went to the championship and who would you replace them with?

for me it would be:

basso (out) - weale (even though he is already here)

Betsy (out) - jarvis (gillingham)

russell (out) - bircham (q.p.r) as i feel we need a tough tackling midfielder for the championship (like tommy doc)

strikers (as we defiently need one) - andy cole (unrelestic i know), akinbyi, steve kabba, nardiello (if barnsley go down)

who would you let go if we went to the championship and who would you replace them with?

for me it would be:

Why :disapointed2se:

russell (out) - bircham (q.p.r) as i feel we need a tough tackling midfielder for the championship (like tommy doc)

strikers (as we defiently need one) - andy cole (unrelestic i know), akinbyi, steve kabba, nardiello (if barnsley go down)

I think it's the wrong time to start talking about players leaving but I'll pass comment on some of your views about the subject.

Anyone who would select Weale over Basso on the evidence of about 140 minutes of football in a season is deluded or barking mad.Basso is a major contender for player of the season along with Carey & McCombe.That in itself shows you why we are where were are and why we have about 20 clean sheets.Add late bids by Orr & McAllister had he not missed to many games since being injured at Boro and you get the picture of where our strength lies.

I tend to agree about Jarvis over Betsy, but that would take a bid of around £750k and I don't know if SL's up for that or if GJ would want to blow so much on one player although if certain players left that would cover his wages.

Russell & Basso are both contracted for next season at least and I wouldn't want to see Bircham or, God forbid, Doherty here.

I got to be honest, I can't stand Basso and if the opportunity came around to replace him someone else, I would do it without hestitation. Saying that, I wouldn't get rid of him, I'd just demote him to backup.

I'd definately offload Betsy given half a chance and replace to him with Jarvis would be a great bit of business. I'd like to see us make use of the loan system and tie someone down like Lee Martin from Man Utd. He'd be ideal for us on a season long loan as he's a dynamic left winger who hails from Taunton. Otherwise, Hoolahan a genuine target IMO.

Healy would never come. So striker-wise, I'd be looking at Varney (Crewe), Connolly (Sunderland) and maybe McLeod (MK Dons). Connolly would depend on whether Sunderland went up but he's proven in the Championship and would most likely be deemed surplus to requirements up there.

for me it would be:

basso (out) - weale (even though he is already here) Ckin hell, youre angling, or havin a laugh..which one one it?

Betsy (out) - jarvis (gillingham) Give ya that one maybe........

russell (out) - bircham (q.p.r) as i feel we need a tough tackling midfielder for the championship (like tommy doc) Apparantly mrs Bircham decides if he moves..shes a WAG, and from Hemel. London or Bristol, if youre from that way???

correct, however the names you mention aint runners. Apart from Nardiello-and Barnsley are nearly safe anyway

On second thoughts youre angling, or.

correct, however the names you mention aint runners. Apart from Nardiello-and Barnsley are nearly safe anyway

On second thoughts youre angling, or.

just what was needed...A thread about who to get rid of right before the most important game for ten years.....

:disapointed2se:

Russell & Basso are both contracted for next season at least and I wouldn't want to see Bircham or, God forbid, Doherty here.

Has Russell got another year?

I'd keep him for another year anyway. Considering we've never lost when he has started and his general contribution I think he is an underrated member of the squad. He might be 33 but he reminds me of Graham Kavanagh, who plays better football the older he gets.

Not sure if who is going to leave, but i expect Woody to move on. Some players i'd like us to have a look at:

Danny Granville - Was linked with us a couple of weeks back as he has connections with Johnson through Cambridge, plus the fact that I think we need another left back as cover for McAlister.

Marc Bircham - Still think we need a someone who tackles hard in midfield. He does that, has been linked with us and also apparently has connections with the Johnson's.

Wes Hoolahan - We need a natural left winger, he has had a good season at Blackpool and would provide the width and a bit of pace and trickery.

Michael Pospisil - Turned us down as he didn't want to drop down to league 1, so if we got promoted, then must be worth another try. Would be a class signing.

Some others:

Sam Sodje

Matt Jarvis

Luke Varney

Izale McLeod

Probably not all realistic, but a few would be nice

forget about who you want to go and get in.

on saturday is a very important game for every supporter of bristol city football club

and you are wanting to know who is going and coming in.

first of all , lets get there first.two games left and we should all be supporting the team.

if we do it at millwall , then we must all be there for the last game and shout as loud as we

can, to so how much we appreciate the team and management.

it will be party time for all, so lets say goodbye to this division and welcome the next.

then we can see whos contract is up and who we can get in. until that is done

please shout loud . the players deserve that for what they have done this season

come on you redsssssssssssssssss

Soren Anderson, Akinbiyi? Are fellow forum users freebasing?

How about we give Joe Royle and Tom Ritchie a call as well!!!! :innocent06::innocent06:

As for crticizing Basso............defies belief the crud some people post........... :grr::grr::grr::grr:The blokes a star

My money's on all our signings being players not yet mentioned on this and other threads.(possibly from a wide selection of exotic foreign shores)

forget about who you want to go and get in.

on saturday is a very important game for every supporter of bristol city football club

and you are wanting to know who is going and coming in.

first of all , lets get there first.two games left and we should all be supporting the team.

if we do it at millwall , then we must all be there for the last game and shout as loud as we

can, to so how much we appreciate the team and management.

it will be party time for all, so lets say goodbye to this division and welcome the next.

then we can see whos contract is up and who we can get in. until that is done

please shout loud . the players deserve that for what they have done this season

come on you redsssssssssssssssss

well said totally agree with u

Would like to see the following;

In

Pospisil - Would imagine this to be a dead cert if/when we go up

Varney - Absolute class, prob expensive though upward of £500,000

Bircham - Been spotted at the Forest game and looked a good player before

Hoolahan - Heard good things about this lad but pace is not his asset.

In addition would like to see Artus, Plummer, Jennison etc given a shot I know theres pressure now but when isn't there??

Out

Jevons - Hasn't looked good enought this season

Smith - Runs his bollox off but not enough of a threat

Russell - Don't see what he brings to the midfield

Woodman - Too lightweight

I got to be honest, I can't stand Basso and if the opportunity came around to replace him someone else, I would do it without hestitation. Saying that, I wouldn't get rid of him, I'd just demote him to backup.

Why

I'd definately offload Betsy given half a chance and replace to him with Jarvis would be a great bit of business.

And cost between £600-750k always assuming we'd get our £250k back on Betsy which I doubt and always assuming SL would stump up the balance of the transfer fee for Jarvis.

I'd like to see us make use of the loan system and tie someone down like Lee Martin from Man Utd. He'd be ideal for us on a season long loan as he's a dynamic left winger who hails from Taunton. Otherwise, Hoolahan a genuine target IMO.

Prefer Hoolahan or Commons even moreso if Forest don't make it

Healy would never come. So striker-wise, I'd be looking at Varney (Crewe), Connolly (Sunderland) and maybe McLeod (MK Dons). Connolly would depend on whether Sunderland went up but he's proven in the Championship and would most likely be deemed surplus to requirements up there.

Varney & McCleod would cost about £1.5-2.5m and Dons already turned down £1m for McCleod.So that's about £4m if we want Jarvis & Commons as well.Hoolahan would be cheaper but has a bit of a bad boy reoutation so may not float GJ's boat :dunno:

In addition would like to see Artus, Plummer, Jennison etc given a shot I know theres pressure now but when isn't there??

Agree with that

Out

Russell - Don't see what he brings to the midfield.

Touch wood, we've never lost over 90 mins when he's started, so he obviously brings something along the lines of positional play, leadership, passing, penalty taking, ball winning and the odd goal.

what a stupid f---king thread this is, biggest game of our season sat and sh-t like this is on here no wonder some at the club want to close the forum, yes the players read it and should be praised to the hilt for their achievements thus far. but what do I know carry on knock em a bit more hopefully gj has the nous to ban em looking until after sat.

Are you joining the realists club - GJ only recently signed Betsy, Wilson and Smith and you want them out ?

Gosh could he have got three signings wrong..........?

Does the quickly becoming infamous ''realist'' Club also realise that GJ has taken the Club from flirting uncomfortably closely with relegation and in a right mess to the verge of promotion within the space of a year and a half? I shalln't hold my breath for an answer.

I agree with those questioning the poor timing of this type of thread.

Why

I'd definately offload Betsy given half a chance and replace to him with Jarvis would be a great bit of business.

And cost between £600-750k always assuming we'd get our £250k back on Betsy which I doubt and always assuming SL would stump up the balance of the transfer fee for Jarvis.

I'd like to see us make use of the loan system and tie someone down like Lee Martin from Man Utd. He'd be ideal for us on a season long loan as he's a dynamic left winger who hails from Taunton. Otherwise, Hoolahan a genuine target IMO.

Prefer Hoolahan or Commons even moreso if Forest don't make it

Varney & McCleod would cost about £1.5-2.5m and Dons already turned down £1m for McCleod.So that's about £4m if we want Jarvis & Commons as well.Hoolahan would be cheaper but has a bit of a bad boy reoutation so may not float GJ's boat dunno.gif

1) As well as Basso's done this season, and I'm the first to admit he's improved beyond recognition this year, I genuinely don't think he'll be able to handle it up there. Everyone knows he's prone to the odd clanger, and I would say there's at least one every game, but in this division it goes unpunished. In the Championship, the bar's raised and the finishing is a lot more clinical. Any little slip, miskick, drop or whatever on his part that he gets away with more times than not in League 1 would be punished at the next level. Note, I'm not saying get rid of him, just demote him if than chance to sign someone better comes along IMO.

2) Where on earth did you pluck the £600-750k for Jarvis from??? The boy's out of contract and if it went to a tribunal I would put money us being ruled to pay less than £300k as is always the case with football league tribunal's. Wycombe used to talk of Mickey Bell being a £1m player before we knicked him and the tribunal ruled that we pay £125k for him! One thing for sure is Betsy won't make the grade at the next level, regardless of whether GJ's just signed him or not.

3) Commons is an unrealistic target for us. He would never take a side step and join us and from what I've heard he's far from consistent. Add the fact he's a Forest fan and the prospect becomes even more unlikely.

4) Varney would be my main target and I reckon he could be signed in the region of £500k. I said two from Varney, Connolly and McLeod and while McLeod would cost in excess on £1m, I personally would rather that money was spent on someone proven at that level like Connolly. Agree about Hoolahan's reputation though but GJ needs to address the left wing problem as an urgent priority in close season, Lee Martin would probably float his boat a bit more.

Anyway, talk of this is a bit premature so let's postpone the proper transfer talk until May 6th! :city:

for me it would be:

I definatly would not get ride of basso, but agree with other 2.

Players out - Woodman, Betsy, smith...possibly Russel depending on what midfielders we get in.

Wouldn't mind seeing Hoolahan or commons...in terms of stikers there are a lot of players in this division who could possibly make the step up, wouldn't mind seeing Popisil, Varney wouldn't be too bad either. Mind you, we would need a pretty beefy transfer budget if the majority of suggestions were going to happen.

I would also like to see Wilson stay as i think he could possibly come good, although a lot of people seem to want rid.

Guest ashtonyate

I'd definately offload Betsy given half a chance and replace to him with Jarvis would be a great bit of business. I'd like to see us make use of the loan system and tie someone down like Lee Martin from Man Utd. He'd be ideal for us on a season long loan as he's a dynamic left winger who hails from Taunton. Otherwise, Hoolahan a genuine target IMO.

Basso has been one of the great signings of the season, when he first came I thought Phillips was unlucky to lose his place to a goalie who could not kick and made a lot of howlers. Since then he has got his act together and has been one of the key reasons we are on the verge of going up.

Until we get some really goal scoring forwards I would like to see most of the players allowed to play for their places and perhaps a midfield player is needed but its up front which we need to concentrate on

But lets just enjoy the promotion first before we start on about next year and give the players the praise they deserve

Does the quickly becoming infamous ''realist'' Club also realise that GJ has taken the Club from flirting uncomfortably closely with relegation and in a right mess to the verge of promotion within the space of a year and a half? I shalln't hold my breath for an answer.

I agree with those questioning the poor timing of this type of thread.

Actually when GJ took over it was much too early in the season to say we were " flirting with relegation " and his first 15 games were overall less productive than the few games BT had in charge that season.

Not saying that he hasn't done very well cos he has but let us not bend the truth to that extent.

Strange that the " who shall we release thread " seems to consign three of his most recent signings to the scap heap.

I think one of BB's postings was pretty spot on - we may well get promoted despite GJ rather than because of him - I will be orgasmic if it happens but I have to admit flabbergasted - must be the first time anyone has got auto promotion with a top striker on less than 20 goals !

No problem - he has achieved ( hopefully ) the holy grail and all credit to him but he needs to change his outlook if we are to stay there I think - interesting posts re future potential signings but I think they are for the birds.

This guy will sign unproven unknowns cos that is his way - worked ( we hope ) this season, perhaps it will next..............

Not going to get get drawn into this thread other than to say Basso has to be our most improved player - pity there is no award. Wouldn't mind getting hold of Ruddy for the future - thought he looked good last week. He must have been under a lot of pressure and did well.

Yer right there. thought he was very sharp, considering the lack of team work on understanding, calling and movement he would have had before the game.

Theres a good keeper there-maybe we could get the guy for good. sounded calm and unphased too-another good feature in a keeper

It would be ludicrous to get rid of Smith, Jevons AND Brooker, and only replace them with 3 strikers.

Personally, I'd keep Jevo and definitely invite Smith back for pre-season. Brooker I'm less sure about; if a good offer came in, I'd certainly consider it.

I do agree we need to refresh the strikeforce and bring in at least 2 quality strikers, but if we're going to compete and do well we need 5 or 6 strikers.

Archived