IGNORED

My First Visit To Millwall Circa 72ish

REDOXO

Showing my age here I know....However is there anybody on here that was at and remembers this match....It was a cold miserable day...

I will always remember being about 9 and walking down Cold Blow Lane with my dad wearing a red shirt....When this huge guy walked up to us and told us how they were going to F===ing Kill us etc etc...

Anyway....I'm pretty sure Clive Whitehead scored on his debut and Bobby Gould scored for us as well...We won 2-0....And with a nod toward another post I'm certain we were wearing White Shorts

Good Luck From the Chicago Branch tomorrow to the team and all the supporters at Millwall and at the theatre...I will be listening on World.....(Please please please do not mess up the world broadcast tomorow)

REDOXO

Showing my age here I know....However is there anybody on here that was at and remembers this match....It was a cold miserable day...

I will always remember being about 9 and walking down Cold Blow Lane with my dad wearing a red shirt....When this huge guy walked up to us and told us how they were going to F===ing Kill us etc etc...

Anyway....I'm pretty sure Clive Whitehead scored on his debut and Bobby Gould scored for us as well...We won 2-0....And with a nod toward another post I'm certain we were wearing White Shorts

Good Luck From the Chicago Branch tomorrow to the team and all the supporters at Millwall and at the theatre...I will be listening on World.....(Please please please do not mess up the world broadcast tomorow)

REDOXO

I WAS there sat in the "safety " of the stand!

Whitehaed compleat with affro and acne waltzed round the keeper for the first on his debut.

Gould scored a two inch "piledriver" after it was bobbling around the line for what seemed like half an hour!

Gentle "jog" back to the station with a rake of cockneys wishing us bon voyage, ah, wonderful times, I can assure you (Tommy Cockles)

I WAS there sat in the "safety " of the stand!

Whitehaed compleat with affro and acne waltzed round the keeper for the first on his debut.

Gould scored a two inch "piledriver" after it was bobbling around the line for what seemed like half an hour!

Gentle "jog" back to the station with a rake of cockneys wishing us bon voyage, ah, wonderful times, I can assure you (Tommy Cockles)

The game indeed .........A TRUE 'OLDE' SUPPORTER SIR......GOOD LUCK TOMORROW

Tomorrow is my first visit to Millwall i hope its one that i never forget :city:

All my trips to Millwall, I'll never forget (especially Cold Blow)!

One time when we were on MOTD (lost 3-1, Spiring) it kicked off on the Half Way Line (old'uns will know)

I dived under a crash barrier and came up under some womans skirt!

Anyone remember 1985 at our place? Half the Dolman seats ripped out, fires in the away end and a minibus driven into the Black Horse in Bedminster. Other one that springs to mind is 1997 when we won 2-0 at their place. OB kept us in for 1.5 hours after the match and then we had to walk for 30 minutes through the cockerneys to get to our van in South Bermondsey. We had a toolbag in the boot (legit reasons) and kept the handsaws and hammers out just in case as we drove up the Old Kent Road at 10 mph as Millwall milled about at the traffic junctions! Nice place...

Good luck tomorrow from Washington DC!

All my trips to Millwall, I'll never forget (especially Cold Blow)!

One time when we were on MOTD (lost 3-1, Spiring) it kicked off on the Half Way Line (old'uns will know)

I dived under a crash barrier and came up under some womans skirt!

You know, you have just touched a long forgotten corner of my mind...That was my first game at Millwall...If I remeber rightly Gibbo was dropped and it was Ray Cashley's debut in goal........Am I right?

Anyone remember 1985 at our place? Half the Dolman seats ripped out, fires in the away end and a minibus driven into the Black Horse in Bedminster. Other one that springs to mind is 1997 when we won 2-0 at their place. OB kept us in for 1.5 hours after the match and then we had to walk for 30 minutes through the cockerneys to get to our van in South Bermondsey. We had a toolbag in the boot (legit reasons) and kept the handsaws and hammers out just in case as we drove up the Old Kent Road at 10 mph as Millwall milled about at the traffic junctions! Nice place...

97 that was when the City mob tried to kick down the doors of the 'wall stand (yes, indeed) One of the many travelling Bristol coppers shout " ok lads, you've had your fun, now stop it before someone gets really hurt", class!

The 97 game I sat in the Millwall supporters and all they could do was tell Bobby bowry what a useless !@#$ he was (I bet that was energizing)....Penalty I believe with Shaun Goater scoring....Anyone at the Torpey/Adam Locke 2-0 win game a season or two later...

Happy days at Millwall...Here's to another

97 that was when the City mob tried to kick down the doors of the 'wall stand (yes, indeed) One of the many travelling Bristol coppers shout " ok lads, you've had your fun, now stop it before someone gets really hurt", class!

Ah, but was that in the days when coppers still looked like coppers? Not like the threatening RoboCop heavyhanded outfits they wear to Police a football match now. I know they have to be protected at times possibly but feel they add to the tensions. It's a bit like our soldiers in Iraq etc, don't they try to wear berets etc instead of heavy gear where possible to gain the 'hearts and minds of the people' think football policing could learn from that?

Makes me wonder when you see them doing drugs raids etc on houses dressed relatively 'normally', stab vest etc but when they are faced with a football fan helmets, scarfs, dogs horses, riot shields battons???

You know, you have just touched a long forgotten corner of my mind...That was my first game at Millwall...If I remeber rightly Gibbo was dropped and it was Ray Cashley's debut in goal........Am I right?

Might have been LEAGUE debut, but his first was away at the Dell in the cup!

Nice to recount old times for the oaps on here.

My memory was jogged even further back by a photo in the Evil Post of one of the local non league assistant managers ( no names, no pack drill) One of the last times I saw him was at Swindon circa 71 with his white silk City scarf tied round his head saying to one of the fleeing Townenders "yeh, I dreans mate, I dreams I see City run...it ain't never happened though!"

His chairman would be proud! :englandsmile4wf:

Mid sixties for me. Steve Stacey's debut I think - he took some stick. I don't remember any trouble though mind you I think we lost 2-0.

My young brother tells a funny story when he went on his own in the early 70s. He was on the tube when a home fan asked "you an away fan?" he said "yes - how can you tell?" "You look scared shitless" he replied! Classic. To be fair he went all the way to the ground and made sure my brother got in OK.

The 97 game I sat in the Millwall supporters and all they could do was tell Bobby bowry what a useless !@#$ he was (I bet that was energizing)....Penalty I believe with Shaun Goater scoring....Anyone at the Torpey/Adam Locke 2-0 win game a season or two later...

Happy days at Millwall...Here's to another

I was at both games and a bloody good job because for the '97 game or our lot would have finished up in Cheddar with their indepth knowledge of the London Underground.....I expect I'll have to do the same tomorrow :innocent06:

First time was appx 31 years ago at The Old Den........not for the faint hearted either. :rolleyes:

Mid sixties for me. Steve Stacey's debut I think - he took some stick. I don't remember any trouble though mind you I think we lost 2-0.

My young brother tells a funny story when he went on his own in the early 70s. He was on the tube when a home fan asked "you an away fan?" he said "yes - how can you tell?" "You look scared shitless" he replied! Classic. To be fair he went all the way to the ground and made sure my brother got in OK.

Don't think so, Stacey was at Ipswich & Wrexham till 1970, made his "re-debut" away at Luton (lost 2-0), sorry to be such a pedant!

Not my first visit to Cold Blow Lane. But I went up to the Dean Horrix memorial match.

When I arrived I asked the steward where the away fans were. and he told me there werent any.

So paid my money and in we went. I also bought my flag. So I decided to put it up. 12ft by 6ft Ensign with Bristol City right down the middle.

Well it did attract alot of attention and within 2 minutes I was confronted by 15 - 20 Millwall fans.

I explained I came down from Bristol for this game as he was one of ours, however brief.

They were fine actually. We all shook hands and had a laugh. Explained under no uncertain circumstance that had this been a league match

I would now be dead. Still I was invited back to their boozer, but declined the offer.

Probably in living memory, I am the only person to survive unharmed putting up our colours on their manor.

Regards

Steve

Archived