IGNORED

Richard Keogh

bs3

Why didn't Keogh slot in to Carey position yesterday? He been great this season and now seems out of favour.

There seems to be a pattern developing with GJ team selection, if you fall out with the manager there is no way back.

Fontaine started against Forest (draw), Swansea, (draw), Yeovil (win) and Carlisle (win). Sandwiched between that is a loss against Gillingham. Who started? Keogh!

Don't get me wrong I personally prefer Keogh over Fontaine but maybe Gary was looking at these results and trying to put the more consistant player (between these two) out on the pitch at this stage in the season?

Would still like to know about this 'fall out'?

I would have started with Keough too. I like his committed approach and strength and I would always find a place for him in my team, particurly in the absence of Carey. Given the opportunity, (and a new contract), Keough has the potential to become as influential to us as Shaun Taylor was, a true leader on the pitch.

If Carey is not fit for Saturday, it has to be Keough alongside McCombe.

Fontaine was quality last season, but i don't know whats happened. Everytime he gets the ball i feel nervous as if he is going to loose it. I think he may have lost his confidence after being practically non existance for the first half of the season, and i've lost my confidence in him too. However i have no doubt that he is a good player.

I agree, Fontaine looks nervy on the ball these days. He was poor yesterday in my opinion and in those sitting near me. Keogh would of played a full season for most teams in this division and has been unlucky to be at a club with two such strong centre backs as Carey and Mccombe. If Carey is out on Saturday then I would definitely pick Keogh. As well as his passion and commitment, he also brings some attacking qualities and we need all of those attributes for Saturday.

After Louis, the first name on the team sheet for me would be "Crazy Horse" Keogh.

His commitment is second to none, with no little skill.

He's unfortunately one of those players who's versatile enough to be able to be slotted in any position, therefore shunted from pillar to post, week in week out.

I 'd even like to try him up front, as he can't be any worse than our prolific strike force can he ?

When he does eventually get a setteled position, I think he can go all the way to the top.

If it's with us, is another question.

I put Fontaine's nervy performances down to him not knowing his role in the team. Last season, he came in and was quality alongside Carey when he knew that he was specificly a centre-half. This season, it seems to me that he's unsure over his role because GJ's lost faith in Woody as the back up left back and asked Fontaine to cover his duties as well.

Personally, I'd have gone with Keogh yesterday. That sort of blood 'n' thunder game yesterday would've been right up his street.

Why didn't Keogh slot in to Carey position yesterday? He been great this season and now seems out of favour.

There seems to be a pattern developing with GJ team selection, if you fall out with the manager there is no way back.

Come on then, what fall out are you talking about? Or are you making it up?

The only thing wrong with Fontaine is that he hasn't had a run in the side in his correct position. If he does he'll be fine.

Keogh has never fallen out with GJ nor has GJ fallen out with Keogh. He probably picked Fontaine because he wanted to bring McAllister back in and Fontaine didn't deserve dropping.

Given a straight choice I think Keogh is a slightly better centre half than Fontaine. However, there is not much between them and Johnson has a policy that the man in posession of the shirt retains it unless he fails to perform. Fontaine was already in the first XI and performing, so he kept his place and shifted over to accomodate McAllister. If McAllister had never been out of the team I suspect Keogh would have got the nod to replace Carey, rather than Fontaine.

It's easy to say after the event, isn't it?? Keogh has had a cracking season, and being honest, has surprised everyone. I think he'll win Young Player of the Year by a mile. Fontaine was quality last season but his form has dipped alarmingly. Lets hope it's not another "quality-when-he's-on-loan-but-when-we-sign-him-he's-poo" type signing. I still belive he is a good player and definately good enough for us. Amazing to think that McCombe was third choice centre-half at the start of the season, isn't it?

Archived