IGNORED

Millwall 1-0 City

greenun

Cant really argue with that report. I just got the feeling we were lacking the leadership and experience that Carey has in the side. We have a very young squad and none of them have played at a higher level so the nerves got the better of them. If they cant perform with a 20k crowd at Ashton Gate against an already relegated Rotherham then they shouldnt bother turning up.

Really disappointing to hear of another bad performance by Betsy; I rated him when I saw him play against us for Barnsley and he was obviously playing well for Wycombe, but clearly isn't doing the business for us. Personally I think we are playing him out of position (he was playing up front for Wycombe) and, given our inept strike force, we could probably do worse than stick him up front on Saturday, with JMW coming in on the wing.

Really disappointing to hear of another bad performance by Betsy; I rated him when I saw him play against us for Barnsley and he was obviously playing well for Wycombe, but clearly isn't doing the business for us. Personally I think we are playing him out of position (he was playing up front for Wycombe) and, given our inept strike force, we could probably do worse than stick him up front on Saturday, with JMW coming in on the wing.

He always played right wing for Wycombe and was hardly a success up front away to S****horpe. Things aren't going for him at the moment, but I still think he has the ability to be a good player for us.

At half time some bloke at the bar told me Blackpool were down to ten men. To which I said "So are we with Betsy on the pitch". Then during the second half I saw McAllister openly berating the guy in a "not very supportive or conducive manner" which gave me and those around me who saw it the impression he is not going to fit in or perform any better for us.

In short the guy should not start next week as hes a waste of a shirt and should be given the close season to think about what he wants. I understand Johnson has signed him but he should be loaned out to get more experience. He's out of his depth at this level and with Jevons in front of him makes a weak flank. He supports neither defensive or attacking moves.

At half time some bloke at the bar told me Blackpool were down to ten men. To which I said "So are we with Betsy on the pitch". Then during the second half I saw McAllister openly berating the guy in a "not very supportive or conducive manner" which gave me and those around me who saw it the impression he is not going to fit in or perform any better for us.

In short the guy should not start next week as hes a waste of a shirt and should be given the close season to think about what he wants. I understand Johnson has signed him but he should be loaned out to get more experience. He's out of his depth at this level and with Jevons in front of him makes a weak flank. He supports neither defensive or attacking moves.

Point taken, and I admit he has been completely ineffective in almost every game I have seen him for us (bar Brentford at home). I just struggle to understand how a player who joined us with his confidence pretty high, with a decent half-season and two exceptional performances against Chelsea behind him, could suddenly become so poor. Granted, he was playing at the level below, but he has also performed at our level in the past.

God forbid as he's just as ineffective there.His career goal record is poor if he's a striker

In short the guy should not start next week as hes a waste of a shirt and should be given the close season to think about what he wants.

Agreed

I understand Johnson has signed him but he should be loaned out to get more experience. He's out of his depth at this level and with Jevons in front of him makes a weak flank. He supports neither defensive or attacking moves.

More expereince?? ***k me, he's 28 years old!!!He's one of the few players in our squad with Championship expereince and you have to wonder why, with that expereince, he was signed on a free by Wycombe and happy to go there.Simply put his signing was a mistake, managers make them.List him and move on

He always played right wing for Wycombe and was hardly a success up front away to S****horpe. Things aren't going for him at the moment, but I still think he has the ability to be a good player for us.

In some ways, the fact he has ability as described in the review actually annoys me more than if he was a complete pycan.

Cant really argue with that report. I just got the feeling we were lacking the leadership and experience that Carey has in the side. We have a very young squad and none of them have played at a higher level so the nerves got the better of them. If they cant perform with a 20k crowd at Ashton Gate against an already relegated Rotherham then they shouldnt bother turning up.

Agreed. I think that with so many of our defenders having great seasons, people don't realise how important Carey is until he's out of the team.

In some ways, the fact he has ability as described in the review actually annoys me more than if he was a complete pycan.

sometimes you write excellent reports sometimes we watch different games , I was not there as I could not get a ticket . but remember we are all have off days hopefully next saturday we will have men turn up and play for my first winning promotion game (watched ) since 1975/76

sometimes you write excellent reports sometimes we watch different games , I was not there as I could not get a ticket . but remember we are all have off days hopefully next saturday we will have men turn up and play for my first winning promotion game (watched ) since 1975/76

Agreed, but we don't all have off days, ALL the time and this underperforming is getting habitual. :disapointed2se:

Enjoyed the report thank you. Glad you picked up on the Noble attempt, quite correct, he should have driven it with the left peg. Carey was missed more than we were aware of at the time, though not surprised as his presence is paramount to the performance of the side.

Credit where it's due and all that, and I do praise individuals, but I thought both Betsy and to a lesser extent Wilson were both somewhat ineffective. They offered no real width or penetration.

A good example of this - second half - was when Orr came out of defence, with pace, with the ball, attacking space, charging down the right touchline. Just as he was about to be closed down it was obvious that Wilson - in front of him - should go wide to offer himself and open up middle. But no, Wilson chose to cut inside, into an already overcrowded middle, to join Showunmi, Noble, Johnson and yes Betsy and a gang of Millwall. End of threat. Perhaps it's a coaching thing, I don't know. I think both Betsy and Wilson have it in them to perform well. Do it.

Will training this week involve cribbage and connect 4, and other such 'light' exercise so our players arn't injured in training.

We were not on our toes for this game (the complete lack of marking of two Millwall players for their goal being a classic example), which considering it's enormity is frightening. I sincerely hope that our players - to a man - are 'up' for it on Saturday.

A famous man once said..."Defeat is not failure".

I didn't agree then, and I don't now.

A famous man also once said..."Winning is everything".

I agree that for our last game, this statement to be correct.

Come on City.

Enjoyed the report thank you. Glad you picked up on the Noble attempt, quite correct, he should have driven it with the left peg. Carey was missed more than we were aware of at the time, though not surprised as his presence is paramount to the performance of the side.

Credit where it's due and all that, and I do praise individuals, but I thought both Betsy and to a lesser extent Wilson were both somewhat ineffective. They offered no real width or penetration.

Betsy disproves the old adage about you can run but you can't hide.He does both very well indeed.

Bloody miserable report - bloody accurate though.

No width or pace. Both Wilson and Betsy pick up the ball on the half way line then cut inside and lay it back to the full back. Can anyone remember the last goal we scored when someone broke down the wing, got to the byeline and crossed for one of our strikers to score? I can think of Murray at home to Carlisle.

Bloody miserable report - bloody accurate though.

No width or pace. Both Wilson and Betsy pick up the ball on the half way line then cut inside and lay it back to the full back. Can anyone remember the last goal we scored when someone broke down the wing, got to the byeline and crossed for one of our strikers to score? I can think of Murray at home to Carlisle.

ES scored in the 1-0 win over Carlisle.......if you mean this season :whistle2:

The worst thing a winger can be is predictable.By all means cut inside and shoot........but do shoot and don't cut inside all of the time.Hold the ball up sometimes to await support, other times, go for it hell for leather.Keep the defenders guessing.If we don't sign anyone else (and by God we need some quality in the final third) we must sign a left sided pacy wide midfielder who can shoot and Hoolahan & Commons spring to mind instantly.

ES scored in the 1-0 win over Carlisle.......if you mean this season :whistle2:

The worst thing a winger can be is predictable.By all means cut inside and shoot........but do shoot and don't cut inside all of the time.Hold the ball up sometimes to await support, other times, go for it hell for leather.Keep the defenders guessing.If we don't sign anyone else (and by God we need some quality in the final third) we must sign a left sided pacy wide midfielder who can shoot and Hoolahan & Commons spring to mind instantly.

Sorry I meant Port Vale. I wouldn't call Enoch's goal against Carlisle a run down the wing and cross a la Commons and Holt

I know the club are keen on Calvin Andrew. Scored yesterday after being out injured for months. It's clear to all of us that we've never replaced Aaron Brown - clear to all of us bar the one that matters of course.......

Sorry I meant Port Vale. I wouldn't call Enoch's goal against Carlisle a run down the wing and cross a la Commons and Holt

I know the club are keen on Calvin Andrew. Scored yesterday after being out injured for months. It's clear to all of us that we've never replaced Aaron Brown - clear to all of us bar the one that matters of course.......

Injured for months-Perfect Fit and he's been here on loan-Bring him in :disapointed2se:

Think you're a little hard on Johnson. With Russell, Betsy & Willson going AWOL constantly, it was left to these two to salvage a way through the millwall defence - which is the reason Noble was constantly trying to skill his way past 5 or 6 Blue shirts... If the wingers were playing dangerously, or Showunmi, who ran for the ball 6-7 times in the 90 minutes, then there would have been a hell of a lot more space for them. As it was, Millwall identified them as the dangerous players and despite their best efforts they made little.

Good report as usual Ian and the bit about our wide players echoes our conversation after the game. Betsy looks as though he will take on and beat players, but doesn't, Wilson is technically a gifted player but most weeks it's difficult to recall any contribution or difference he made to the game. No doubt Johnson will be miffed at these comments given he brought these players in and we lie second in the table - to which my response is that's an honest assessment from a fan that knows a thing or two about football and has been to most games this season, home and away.

I also fail to understand how we can play 3-5-1 and yet not dominate the midfield.

To the players, don't take it personally, you must be decent footballers or Johnson wouldnt have signed you, just prove it to us. We've been in this division for nine years more than you have, anything which is second best or worse became unacceptable long ago.

One thing I will disagree with you on Ian, I think Betsy does have a heart, and tackles back well for a striker/wide player.

Come on boys psyche yourselves right up and give us a win on Saturday.

Good report as usual Ian and the bit about our wide players echoes our conversation after the game. Betsy looks as though he will take on and beat players, but doesn't, Wilson is technically a gifted player but most weeks it's difficult to recall any contribution or difference he made to the game.

If I remember I noticed that BW played a major part in both goals against Yeovil and our goal against Forest.It's also fair to say that Betsy got the match winner against Northampton, worked his socks off against Blackpool whilst out of position and put the cross in, right footed from the left at Carlisle for McCombes goal.Wilson had a good game on the left of midfield in front of McAllister at Oldham.But that's it since they were signed and they should be doing far better for players with obvious skill and talent.When they have performed well they have been marked accordingly and praise has been given in equal measure to criticism if anyone cares to look back.

As I said in an earlier reply, I can put up with a hard working pycan and we've had plenty of those down the years.What I struggle with is a player who can tear a side apart.......and then doesn't, for no apparent reason.

No doubt Johnson will be miffed at these comments

Being miffed at BCFC is something I've grown accustomed to :D

given he brought these players in and we lie second in the table - to which my response is that's an honest assessment from a fan that knows a thing or two about football and has been to most games this season, home and away.

Agreed.We both (You & I) want City to do well and get promoted and I was looking forward to writing a happy clappy "we've done it," style review.In all honesty I couldn't, although we did create enough chances to win, GJ said he didn't deserve it in an honest assesment after the game.The funny thing is that he & I rarely disagree about a team performance.

I also fail to understand how we can play 3-5-1 and yet not dominate the midfield.

Of the four players across midfield, Russell & Johnson weren't at their best and the two wide players were ineffective as an attacking threat.Noble did well on occassions but should have scored or set up at least one

To the players, don't take it personally, you must be decent footballers or Johnson wouldnt have signed you, just prove it to us. We've been in this division for nine years more than you have, anything which is second best or worse became unacceptable long ago.

Spot On Superb Point.One mistake football managers & pros make is that they think everything begins the day they take over.Given the injuries, illness and incarceration that have blighted our season GJ and his coaching team have done a superb job getting us here and must feel as let down as we do with a performance like that.As you say, we've been in this division nine years & here for 40+ years.

One thing I will disagree with you on Ian, I think Betsy does have a heart, and tackles back well for a striker/wide player.

He may track back but his tackling left a lot to be desired on Saturday.He can do it.He is capable and I've seen him do it, with Blackpool where he started out as left wingback the best example.As I've said, that makes some of his play all the more exassperating.

Come on boys psyche yourselves right up and give us a win on Saturday.

Here, Here

Agreed. I think that with so many of our defenders having great seasons, people don't realise how important Carey is until he's out of the team.

I said this very fact to my housemate who's a forest fan that the main reason we've done so well this season has been due to a solid backline. Carey and McCombe surely should had been up there in contention in the PFA Team of Year and individual awards. Bradley Orr has been one of the most committed and improving players for us this year especially after the Carey Incident at Northampton. Although right back could be one of the positions City look to improve IF we go up this year, undoubtedly in Keogh and Orr we have 2 very committed players with great ability and promise. And since arriving from Hearts, Jamie McCallister has been brilliant (arbeit when availible) and in my opinion is one of the best footballers we have at the club. Fontaine has also at times shown what a good player he is and although he looks like a fish out of water when going forward, hes certainly been an able replacement

We may have struggled upfront with injuries etc but its thanks to these players that I believe we are in the position today.

I said this very fact to my housemate who's a forest fan that the main reason we've done so well this season has been due to a solid backline. Carey and McCombe surely should had been up there in contention in the PFA Team of Year and individual awards. Bradley Orr has been one of the most committed and improving players for us this year especially after the Carey Incident at Northampton. Although right back could be one of the positions City look to improve IF we go up this year, undoubtedly in Keogh and Orr we have 2 very committed players with great ability and promise. And since arriving from Hearts, Jamie McCallister has been brilliant (arbeit when availible) and in my opinion is one of the best footballers we have at the club. Fontaine has also at times shown what a good player he is and although he looks like a fish out of water when going forward, hes certainly been an able replacement

We may have struggled upfront with injuries etc but its thanks to these players that I believe we are in the position today.

Candidates for player of the season:

McCombe

Carey

Orr

McAllister

Basso

Young Player

Keogh

Nuff said?

Archived