IGNORED

Wanted For Saturday: Another Great Atyeo Moment

december 1963

Seasons ended earlier 42 years ago compared to nowadays but on 24 April 1965 we had almost the exact same scenario as this Saturday. It was the final day of the season and we needed to win against Oldham to go up to the second tier. Oldham were pretty near the bottom but had beaten us 7-3 at Boundary Park in a humiliating defeat. From March onwards we had been neck and neck with Mansfield (aka Nottm Forest in this years scenario) and their goal average was much better than ours.

But no-one in those days used to say "the problem with this season is our forwards don't score enough" because we had a guy called J.Atyeo and he led us to 3-0 and 5-1 wins just prior to that final game. So Mansfield and us had the same points and almost identical goal averages on 24 April 1965 at 3pm. In answer to someone else's thread - about how many would come if you just opened up the turnstiles and said "you're all welcome, come on in" we had 28,250 that day.

It was the last time we had to win a home match on the final day to get promotion. And guess who scored first? Big John it was. But Mansfield had the best team they'd had for years and coming up to quarter to five they led Barnsley away 3-2 and we led Oldham 1-0. The way things stood we wouldn't go up. But with less than 10 minutes to go Brian Clark got number 2. It was us who were promoted.

The Green Un printed a photo of John Atyeo in the Directors Box (now called the Williams) with arms aloft and tears running down his face. No player loved the Club more than him. I'll think of you Big John whilst sitting in a stand named in your honour, this coming Saturday. This was a player who was only dropped once in his career and who was never booked or sent off. Enoch and Jevo won't ever be in the same league as you but we're hoping they'll do what you did.

And I know if you'd been alive you would have wanted it as badly as the rest of us

Seasons ended earlier 42 years ago compared to nowadays but on 24 April 1965 we had almost the exact same scenario as this Saturday. It was the final day of the season and we needed to win against Oldham to go up to the second tier. Oldham were pretty near the bottom but had beaten us 7-3 at Boundary Park in a humiliating defeat. From March onwards we had been neck and neck with Mansfield (aka Nottm Forest in this years scenario) and their goal average was much better than ours.

But no-one in those days used to say "the problem with this season is our forwards don't score enough" because we had a guy called J.Atyeo and he led us to 3-0 and 5-1 wins just prior to that final game. So Mansfield and us had the same points and almost identical goal averages on 24 April 1965 at 3pm. In answer to someone else's thread - about how many would come if you just opened up the turnstiles and said "you're all welcome, come on in" we had 28,250 that day.

It was the last time we had to win a home match on the final day to get promotion. And guess who scored first? Big John it was. But Mansfield had the best team they'd had for years and coming up to quarter to five they led Barnsley away 3-2 and we led Oldham 1-0. The way things stood we wouldn't go up. But with less than 10 minutes to go Brian Clark got number 2. It was us who were promoted.

The Green Un printed a photo of John Atyeo in the Directors Box (now called the Williams) with arms aloft and tears running down his face. No player loved the Club more than him. I'll think of you Big John whilst sitting in a stand named in your honour, this coming Saturday. This was a player who was only dropped once in his career and who was never booked or sent off. Enoch and Jevo won't ever be in the same league as you but we're hoping they'll do what you did.

And I know if you'd been alive you would have wanted it as badly as the rest of us

Great post, december 1963, and it brought tears to my eyes, too! John was everything we've lacked, this season: a forward who can be relied upon to score!!! John went to my old school (Trowbridge High), lived close to one of my school mates, and set me off on the roller coaster that is being a City fan . He's probably the main reason I'm an ever-red! Happy days - and we'll have another one, on Saturday!

First class post D1963

I was there , my first season, in the east end at the front holding on to the railings, i was about 11years back then, all i remember is that we had to win by more than one goal and oldham were a good side with ex city players in, and i saw myself on the news in the east end clinging on to them railings, ahhh happy days..

The same i was in the East End, we had no portable radios in those days. Luckly i was good at maths and could work out where we were as the match went on. I remember running on the pitch at the end, and following Big John up to the supporters club after the match to get his autograph. I can not go though another Brighton Playoff type final. I have only just got over that day. Please please let it be that we don't go a goal down, or we are hanging on to a 1-0. lets hope its 3-0 after 23 minutes are we all can start dreaming of next season.COME ON YOU REDS.

Its a big regret that i'm not old enough to have ever seen Late Great Jonny Atyeo play. He is the greatest player the club has ever had and his records speak for themself.

My missus has a great claim about John, she was taught by him at school in Warminster and she still refers to him as Mr Atyeo.

Its a big regret that i'm not old enough to have ever seen Late Great Jonny Atyeo play. He is the greatest player the club has ever had and his records speak for themself.

My missus has a great claim about John, she was taught by him at school in Warminster and she still refers to him as Mr Atyeo.

Awesome. My big regret is never getting the great mans autograph - none of my family did either!

Awesome. My big regret is never getting the great mans autograph - none of my family did either!

I did get his autograph - he was publicising something in the old Lewis's store in Broadmead and my mum took me in to see him. He signed my books and I had my photo taken with him by a photographer from the BEP.

The autograph books were lost or misplaced over the years, which I bitterly regret, and I never saw the photographs published. But I met the man and I'm proud to be able to say that.

I was at the Oldham game in '65 - at the Open End with my dad ... on the pitch at the final whistle. I was 9 years old and still have memories of it.

Thanks for the post D1963 - now let's shout the boys to victory on Saturday.

Last week I had a heart warming thread celebrating my 60th year since my first game at the gate.

John Atyeo is our only true legend, a man amongst men, and one half of his magic would set us truly in the Championship League.

Archived