IGNORED

Favourite Moments....

RedTop

What a special couple of days it has been. I want to thank the club for helping us to make the celebrations after the match truly memorable by allowing everyone on the pitch for a PROPER celebration, safe and good-hearted, and proof that fans can be allowed to mark a special occasion in the most fitting way - by singing with the players, manager and directors where they should be on an occasion like that: in the directors' box leading the singing. Credit to the Rotherham fans too, stuck away in a corner, who showed a touch of class in their reaction.

Anyway, I just wanted to pick out a few of my own favourite moments in the hope you will add yours:

1. That hair-standing-up moment when the final whistle goes, we are officially promoted and the pitch just floods with fans from all four stands. That's the moment you know no-one can take it away.

2. Scott's 'speech' in the directors' box. Nope. Didn't catch a word of it.

3. SteveL's speech in the directors' box. I have never seen him so pumped up, and if anyone still needed proof that he is City through and through, seeing him like that should surely do it. I found it genuinely inspiring for next season to hear him talking about the way forward.

4. David Noble's dancing on the steps of the council house. Genuinely hilarious. I disagree with those who thought the turnout was poor, though I thought it was poorly advertised (perhaps for fear of tempting fate). I just wish the council had managed to sort out more than one song to play over and over and over! Also stuck in my craw hearing the mayor talk about how they would do everything they could to support the club and about how important the club was to the city. GIVE US BLOODY PLANNING PERMISSION FOR A NEW GROUND THEN.

5. Equally hilarious exchange on Radio Bristol, where Ben Orr had managed to go to the wrong place to commentate on the City players boarding the Matthew, telling the presenter: "Well, worryingly there's no Matthew, and there are no City players." Presenter: "I hear they are going for a reception at the council house. Is the mayor going to give them a key to the city so they can do what they want?" Ben Orr: "Well I've met quite a few of the City players and I wouldn't give them a key to anything!" Good humoured and very funny.

6. Any of the chants of "Are you watching Nottingham?" and "Are you watching Calderwood?" Seeing the feeling with which the players sung about Calderwood showed just how much they loved shoving his childish 'mind games' back down his throat - and proof, if it were needed, that his words did nothing except make GJ's team talks a damned sight easier.

7. Champagne moment, though, was when City fans chanted at Scott and Noble: "You're pissed, and you know you are". They grinned, carried on dancing and started chanting back: "We're pissed, and we know we are." And so they deserved to be. I don't care if they fail to sober up for a week. I know GJ will have them back in good time and in good shape for the new season, not just because he's a damned good manager but because he has sorted the wheat from the chaff and we now only have players at Ashton Gate with the right attitude at Ashton Gate who are prepared to graft and show the City shirt the respect it deserves by giving 100 per cent and nothing less. And what a relief it is to be able to say that after the past eight or nine years.

Two fine, memorable days that hopefully mark the end of one era of Bristol City and the start of a new, exciting and more successful one.

The Eastend pumping with red and white and sheer joy and confidence; that few minutes of "peace" when most had already gone on the pitch and I was left with a few others sat just with our thoughts; wandering down onto the pitch turning around to see the Rotherham faithfull still there singing and chanting for their love;

Arriving in front of the Directors box and the players and the WHOLE CLUB joining as one; reminded me of that A. Dicks and team moment many years back; and the joyous singing in the streets as I headed back to find my car; all logged in memory for ever ; we are :city:

What a special couple of days it has been. I want to thank the club for helping us to make the celebrations after the match truly memorable by allowing everyone on the pitch for a PROPER celebration, safe and good-hearted, and proof that fans can be allowed to mark a special occasion in the most fitting way - by singing with the players, manager and directors where they should be on an occasion like that: in the directors' box leading the singing. Credit to the Rotherham fans too, stuck away in a corner, who showed a touch of class in their reaction.

Anyway, I just wanted to pick out a few of my own favourite moments in the hope you will add yours:

1. That hair-standing-up moment when the final whistle goes, we are officially promoted and the pitch just floods with fans from all four stands. That's the moment you know no-one can take it away.

2. Scott's 'speech' in the directors' box. Nope. Didn't catch a word of it.

3. SteveL's speech in the directors' box. I have never seen him so pumped up, and if anyone still needed proof that he is City through and through, seeing him like that should surely do it. I found it genuinely inspiring for next season to hear him talking about the way forward.

4. David Noble's dancing on the steps of the council house. Genuinely hilarious. I disagree with those who thought the turnout was poor, though I thought it was poorly advertised (perhaps for fear of tempting fate). I just wish the council had managed to sort out more than one song to play over and over and over! Also stuck in my craw hearing the mayor talk about how they would do everything they could to support the club and about how important the club was to the city. GIVE US BLOODY PLANNING PERMISSION FOR A NEW GROUND THEN.

5. Equally hilarious exchange on Radio Bristol, where Ben Orr had managed to go to the wrong place to commentate on the City players boarding the Matthew, telling the presenter: "Well, worryingly there's no Matthew, and there are no City players." Presenter: "I hear they are going for a reception at the council house. Is the mayor going to give them a key to the city so they can do what they want?" Ben Orr: "Well I've met quite a few of the City players and I wouldn't give them a key to anything!" Good humoured and very funny.

6. Any of the chants of "Are you watching Nottingham?" and "Are you watching Calderwood?" Seeing the feeling with which the players sung about Calderwood showed just how much they loved shoving his childish 'mind games' back down his throat - and proof, if it were needed, that his words did nothing except make GJ's team talks a damned sight easier.

7. Champagne moment, though, was when City fans chanted at Scott and Noble: "You're pissed, and you know you are". They grinned, carried on dancing and started chanting back: "We're pissed, and we know we are." And so they deserved to be. I don't care if they fail to sober up for a week. I know GJ will have them back in good time and in good shape for the new season, not just because he's a damned good manager but because he has sorted the wheat from the chaff and we now only have players at Ashton Gate with the right attitude at Ashton Gate who are prepared to graft and show the City shirt the respect it deserves by giving 100 per cent and nothing less. And what a relief it is to be able to say that after the past eight or nine years.

Two fine, memorable days that hopefully mark the end of one era of Bristol City and the start of a new, exciting and more successful one.

Very proud of everyone at the club (you too Red Top!) - team spiirt has been fantastic and must have been a major factor in our success which has been remarkable considering the loss of last years' player of the season and Scott of late.

With regard to Scott's speech a translation will be available soon - he's so good he could almost be English!

And wheres my thanks for lugging your son all the way along Anchor Road on my shoulders nonetheless HUH???

Seriously, hes is definitely the sweetest cutest kid I have met on promotion weekend.

Was nice to see you too Redtop, see you Tuesday!

And wheres my thanks for lugging your son all the way along Anchor Road on my shoulders nonetheless HUH???

Seriously, hes is definitely the sweetest cutest kid I have met on promotion weekend.

Was nice to see you too Redtop, see you Tuesday!

Dolly my son (Grify) is nearly 20 and six foot tall. You are superhuman! You knew that anyway.

I agree with all of your memorable moments from yesterday Brian, to which I would add:

• The moment 5 minutes into the match when the ball went up into the air on the corner of the Rotherham penalty area and seeing Noble anticipate the spin of the ball to get on the "wrong side" of the defender to win and then smack the ball into the net. At that moment I knew, in my heart, that everything was going to work out OK. In that moment, Nobes showed what a good football brain he has. In many respects he reminds me of Keith Fear - not the quickest runner but certainly the quickest thinker and immensely skilful.
  • After a lifetime of watching football seeing for the first time, a throw-in hit the bar! It can only have been the shock that caused Enoch to put his follow-up shot wide.
  • Watching the referee walk towards the Rotherham keeper and ask him for the ball. The keeper looked perplexed and didn't seem to understand what was going on ... but I did! I started cheering at that moment and haven't felt like stopping since.
  • Realising that my sons, aged 14 and 10, were no longer in their seats in the Dolman but somewhere in the mass of people on the pitch. Strolling over the pitch with my wife, wondering where they may be but not really concerned for their safety. Finding them and having a group hug in the centre circle. I was 9 years old in 1965 when I ran onto the pitch after City beat Oldham to gain promotion (to the same division!) - knowing that my kids will have a very special memory that they will carry with them all of their lives.
  • Seeing the "Mission Accomplished" banner unfurled in the Dolman.
  • Every minute since!

Unmemorable moments - from around midnight last night ... can't remember too much after that!

Two moments stand out for me.

The moment that shot left Noble's boot for the first goal, flying through the air and you knew it was going in. Leaping into the space in front of me in the East End to celebrate with as many people as I could get my hands on. Not only utter jubilation but relief as well, I knew we would win it from then on.

The moment the final whistle went meaning I could leg it on to the pitch with thousands of others, meeting various friends on the pitch and getting close to some of the players (I hugged Carey!).

There are loads of others, applauding the Rotherham fans, seeing the East End as it should be, with 4000 City fans on their feet singing, watching Noble dance in front of the council house and hearing GJ saying "vote Johnson!", but those two will be locked away for ever.

Magic.

Archived