IGNORED

Anyone Ever Been To Barcelona Or Prauge?

bringbacktherobin

My mate is going in the army in October so we thought we would have a decent holiday before he goes away to get shot.

Most of our other mates are going to newquay for the 3rd year running but we wanted to do something better than that now we are 18.

We are going 1st August

We have decided to fly from Bristol to Barcelona, Stay in Barcelona for 6 nights.

Then fly from Barcelona to Dortmund and spend a night there.

Then were flying from Dortmund to Prague and were staying in Prague for 6 Nights.

Now does anyone have any tips etc, best things to do when were there etc?

Just found out the zoo in Prague is only £2.40 to get into!! What a deal!!

But there's Bristol Zoo, it's not as if the animals will be any different!!!

Honestly depends whether you're after culture or drink culture. Both cities have bucketloads of both. Go see all the touristy thing AND go out loads after. Don't make your holiday one or the other and you'll get the most out of the experience.

In Prague for a good laugh try the Beer Factory which is a bar on Wencelas Square at the top end on the right side. If you can't recognise the name look for loads of budvar cans etc in the window. You get to sit at tables with four beer taps on each and help yourselves. They show your consumption on a screen on the wall so you can race other tables and just bring you a bill at the end of the night. There are plenty of decent bars on and around the old town square (the one with 3 churches on). There's a nice American diner full of cute college birds down past the Fenix hotel off Wencelas square that does the best steaks in the city for when you get sick of Czech food (day 3 would be my guess - avoid dumplings). If you want to do something slightly cultural the castle is worth a visit. Use the trams to get around, they're cheap as chips and run often.

In Barca most of the nightlife is on Las Ramblas. Only been there once a few years ago and think we had one good night in somewhere called the "Baha beach club" or something down by the marina which was like a pay once for all you can eat or drink type deal.

If you're spending six days in Barca then you should hunt down the El Xampanyet tapas bar near the Picasso museum. It's a tiny bar that gets completely rammed on the nights its open and serves a Catalonian style Cider.

The Baha bar was still going strong when I visited and is the natural home to visiting gangs of Brits. It's a really cheesey bar/club set on the beachfront with scantilly clad models dancing about the place.

In my experience you should avoid the main Ramblas if possible. The bars and restaurants are all overpriced and of poor quality. You're much better to just wander about the backstreets and stumble upon the chilled out local bars or if you're Spanish isn't too great then there are a fair few Irish bars that get busy and also show the football.

You should also take the trip out of town to the Nou Camp. It's easy to find on the local train network and costs about £15 to go on the tour. The ground doesn't look all that special as you walk up, but once your inside you definately get the 'wow' factor.

• SC&T Board Members

The two links below may help you.

I'd agree with KNR: The Camp Nou is well worth a look ... and keep an eye out for pick-pockets on Las Ramblas.

There's not a lot to do in Dortmund ... but if you're there on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday, they also do tours of their ground, which boasts the largest Kop in Europe (room for 25,000 standing fans behind one goal).

Never been to Prague, so can't help on that one.

Barcelona

Dortmund

I'd agree with KNR: The Camp Nou is well worth a look ... and keep an eye out for pick-pockets on Las Ramblas.

Agree the nou camp is good. There are lots of street artists and performers on the Las Rambles (and pick pockets)

I went to Prague last summer. The beer and alcohol is very cheap espically if you go suburbs. And the people are quite friendly. Watch the changing of the Guards at the castle ( i think!) quite amusing!

Thanks for the replys! Anymore tips are welcome.

So far its

Prague

Get Drunk and don't visit the zoo

See the tourists bits and go out loads afterwards

Visit the Beer Factory which on Wencelas Square

Lots of nice bars on the old town square where the 3 Churches are

Visit the American Diner down past Wencelas Square

Use Trams they cheap as chips

Castle is nice

Barcelona

Most of the nightlife on Las Ramblas

Xampanyet tapas bar near the Picasso museum

Avoid Ramblas cos its overpriced, go backstreets and find nice pub

Visit the nou camp

Watch myself against pick pockets.

I'm looking forward to it already,

Thank again guys!!

Barcelona

Most of the nightlife on Las Ramblas

Xampanyet tapas bar near the Picasso museum

Avoid Ramblas cos its overpriced, go backstreets and find nice pub

Visit the nou camp

Watch myself against pick pockets.

I'm looking forward to it already,

Thank again guys!!

If you want to see a few of the cultural sites in barca I would take a bike trip. We started from the bottom of les ramblas and took most of the sites in and it was pretty reasonable.

We also found that there were loads of cheap places to eat if you didn't mind having a buffet lunch. I think they were called fresh.

Also there is a beach in barcalona which was a great place to watch the beautiful people go by.

I've been to Prague twice, unbelievable place for a variety of reasons. Make sure you do these:

1. Charles Bridge is a fantastic sight. Very busy and the architecture surrounding it is awesome.

2. If you come off the bridge the Wenceslas Square side and take a right then you will come across a five storey night club with different music on each floor and an array of hot girlies!

3. Come off the bridge the same way and walk straight. About 5/6 shops on the right you will see what looks like a cake shop. Go there at night time and don't be fooled by the cakes. Go downstairs and it is a nightclub and a strip bar.

4. THIS IS THE MUST. Get in a taxi and ask the 'The Sex Park'. There are a few things there at different levels of seediness but even if you are just up for a laugh go there and go to the Red Light Bar. I can honestly say you wont have a better laugh in the whole of Prague.

For anyone thats not been there, don't judge me, just go and experience it for yourselves!!

Also if you get the chance to watch Sparta Prague play then it is only £2 a ticket and they sell beer in the ground. Pretty good fun.

I wouldn't go to barca for a night out, it's not that good. Madrid is far better.

I can't agree with that. Whilst Madrid is big, it's got nothing unique about it that makes it stand out. You might aswell save on the airfare and go for a weekend in London instead - you'll see a similar amount of large buildings and parks.

I can't agree with that. Whilst Madrid is big, it's got nothing unique about it that makes it stand out. You might aswell save on the airfare and go for a weekend in London instead - you'll see a similar amount of large buildings and parks.

I wasn't on about the buildings though.............

I wasn't on about the buildings though.............

I was just using that as an example. Madrid has plenty of places to go but nothing that is any better than what you'd find in any major city. Each to their own though.

For a real top night out then you can't beat Brussels. Belgium may not have done much for the good of mankind, but they sure do like a beer.

Really? Can't imagine Brussels like that. You like your beer though, so I can imagine any of the Germanic nations in Europe would appeal.

Thing is with Barcelona, the buildings aren't that great. Yes the Cathedreal is an imposing gothic structure, but the whole Gothic quater is so full of cheap shops it doesn't feel as old as it is.

Las Rablas was a let down, I thought the Tapas bars were all the same in all honesty. We found a big square of Ramblas which had some ok cafe/bars but nothing brilliant.

Archived