IGNORED

Scunny To Lose Their Player Of The Year To Darlington

Rudolf Hucker

According to the BBC Click for article

Foster to leave Iron for Quakers

S****horpe defender and player of the season Stephen Foster is set to leave the club, reports BBC Radio Humberside.

The Iron claimed the League One title to earn promotion to the Championship but will reportedly lose 26-year-old Foster to League Two Darlington.

Foster has rejected a two-year deal at S****horpe for a similar contract from Darlington, who will offer improved terms and make him captain.

Darlington are managed by Dave Penney, who managed Foster at Doncaster.

Blimey, he's got some ambition. Do I play in the Championship or the Basement next year? Hmm ...

S****horpe defender and player of the season Stephen Foster is set to leave the club, reports BBC Radio Humberside.

The Iron claimed the League One title to earn promotion to the Championship but will reportedly lose 26-year-old Foster to League Two Darlington.

Foster has rejected a two-year deal at S****horpe for a similar contract from Darlington, who will offer improved terms and make him captain.

Blimey, he's got some ambition. Do I play in the Championship or the Basement next year? Hmm ...

He's obviously putting money first. Sad really, where's the ambition?

Is that the ex Saghead Steve Foster? :innocent06:

He's obviously putting money first. Sad really, where's the ambition?

Ambition's fantastic but it doesn't pay the mortgage.

Ths highlights S****horpes problem and being in The Championship makes it worse for them, not better because players expect more both those you have and those coming in.

Watch the keeper and Sharp go as well.

Peterboro signed Walsalls best two out of contract players on three year deals yesterday-That's about one thing-Money.

Their ground holds 9,500.

They had 7,500 when they acheived promotion.

That will always be the nub of this problem.

Sharpe is a lot of things, but he's not a fool.

He'll look at Southend and see a team containing a couple of much hyped 'star' players and a young manager who flew straight up to the championship as rank outsiders, only to stumble and fall because the club couldn't strengthen, and see the direct parallels with his own lot.

The other choice he has is to move to a club who only just missed out on the championship playoffs, who have possibility of big investment in the very near future, who'll be able to pay him significantly more than he'll ever be able to earn at Scunny and under a manager he owes his career to and respects highly by all accounts.

Not that hard a choice in my eyes.

Only surprising thing is the fee. £1.5million? If we got £2mill for Cotts Sharp must be worth at least that!

Ambition's fantastic but it doesn't pay the mortgage.

Ths highlights S****horpes problem and being in The Championship makes it worse for them, not better because players expect more both those you have and those coming in.

Watch the keeper and Sharp go as well.

Peterboro signed Walsalls best two out of contract players on three year deals yesterday-That's about one thing-Money.

Are you seriously suggesting he's moving to Darlington and dropping 2 leagues because he can't afford to pay his morgage on his s****horpe wages?

The truth of the matter is the day when playing the highest possible level was the whole point have gone, Darlington promise to make him captain and offer him a couple of thousand extra and few perks on the side and he jumps at the chance. Sad .

Pure and simple greed.

Wonder why Sharp wasn't player of the year, being a one-season-wonder and all :ph34r:

Being 32, it gives an idea why Steve Foster may have chosen the step down rather than the step up.

Are you seriously suggesting he's moving to Darlington and dropping 2 leagues because he can't afford to pay his morgage on his s****horpe wages?

No I'm suggesting that, in what is a short career for the majority, another £20/30kpa makes a lot of difference to the size of house one can have and none of us know his family commitments.There also seems to be some discrepancy over his age and, if he is 32, then this'll probably be his last move and signing on fee.Far better Stadium and, so I'm told, they pay decent money.What's the bet Scunny & Darlo in the same division this time next year?

The truth of the matter is the day when playing the highest possible level was the whole point have gone, Darlington promise to make him captain and offer him a couple of thousand extra and few perks on the side and he jumps at the chance. Sad .

We don't know the amount, but I'd wager it's more than a couple of grand.It's his old manager and he obviously thinks it's worth it

Pure and simple greed.

Or is he doing what we all do and looking after his family and future-Perhaps, in his heart of hearts he knows he's not good enough for The Championship

well, no matter his age, it is most likely the fact his old manager at Donny now manages Darlo that swung it. And who knows what Scunny are offering him. At 32, and signed by a previous manager, Foster might not be high up Adkins list and it might even be useful for Scunny to move him on. The free up some wage bill and can bring in someone else. Doesn't always have to be a bad guy, could actually be the best deal for all sides.

He's 32. S****horpe mate says so, as does http://www.football.co.uk/s****horpe/playe...ster_3532.shtml.

Not that it matters a jot but I've just looked up his profile on the Scunny website Player Profile - Steve Foster which gives his birthdate as 1/10/79 - which would make him 27.

Whatever his age and accepting the views that we don't know his personal circumstances, I still think it's strange for him to choose to drop down two divisions. Even though he's going to play for a bloke who has formerly managed him, he'll know that managers come and go. If Darlo invest a lot of money in the summer then have a poor start to the season, Penney could find himself out of a job and Foster could find himself sidelined by the next guy in the hot-seat.

Ambition should have made him want to prove himself in the Championship, in my view.

Archived