IGNORED

My Chant...

RedTop

In amid all the excitement of promotion, I forgot to mention an important landmark in the club's history that will have gone unnoticed and unmarked up until now.

For at Millwall away, at approximately 2.20pm, and after 29 years of active service supporting Bristol City, I am pleased to report that I started my first chant.

For many years I have willingly joined in songs started by others yet have withered at the fear of being the first to strike up a chorus, fearing that no-one would follow and I would end up looking a complete tosspot. In fact I first detailed my rather pathetic lifelong ambition here:

http://theincider.com/backissues/2/regulars/redtop.php

There was an abortive attempt earlier in the season at Middlesboro away, when I toyed in advance with the idea of striking up a chorus of "There's only one Lee Johnson". I was egged on by a number of posters on this very forum who offered encouraging words. Some even promised to join in. Some of those who promised to join in even went to the game. However, in amid all the clamour and excitement I...er...forgot.

However, I am proud to announce that while packed onto a delayed train to Millwall, while stationary at London Bridge surrounded by riot cops, and admittedly after a couple of ciders, I broke my duck.

As we were all crammed into a carriage, there had been a hundred choruses of "Drink Up Thy Zider", "Everywhere we go", "Eieieio" and all the other usual old favourites. I had planned a momentous chant at a memorable, glamorous location, however, rather like losing your virginity it appears striking up your first City chant often happens in circumstances other than those you'd dreamed of. (For starters, I was surrounded by a hundred clammy armpits, aggressive riot police and a group of sweaty fellow Cidereads who looked suspiciously like Buster Bloodvessel, which is never nice in a dream). But I digress.

Again, to go back to the virginity analogy, after years of meticulous planning, a couple of dry runs and a few abortive attempts, in the end it just happened. There was a lull in proceedings on board, the half-a-dozen or so City fans who had been taking turns to lead the chants paused for a break, and before I could control the urge I surprised myself by unexpectedly yelling out. To labour the virginity analogy, despite plenty of warnings I had not even taken precautions (which in the case of chanting seems to involve surrounding yourself by at least six beered-up mates who have apparently signed an agreement in blood to instantly join any chant you start, in return for the same unquestioning vocal loyalty).

The chant I chose after all these years was sadly unimagitive, however in my defence it was a solid and fitting selection ideal for a novice to test the ground and get off to a confident start, which I felt was better than being over-ambitious and falling flat on my face. Filled with cider and an unRedtop-like moment of confidence, I shouted: "One team in Bristol, there's only one team in Bristol."

And I am pleased to report that my fellow City fans did not abandon me. I was not plunged into that hell of being the solo singer, previously only experienced after going on a little bit too long occasionally when chanting, and finding myself yelling a final over-enthusiastic and ill-judged "Come on yoooo reds" into the silence after everyone else has stopped (incidentally, isn't it funny how we usually all know insitinctively when a chant has reached its critical tipping point and it is time to stop in unison?)

No, on this occasion I was saved from humiliation as the whole carriage joined in and loudly sung together: "...there's only one team in Bristol." Admittedly, it continued for just two more "otibs" and then vanished into the ether, but it was enough to spare my blushes and, albeit briefly, fill me with the pride and blood-tingling sensation of power and world domination that accompanies the role of "chant leader". To return to my virginity analogy for one final time, it was probably all over in no more than eight seconds. But that's probably too much information...

The pedants among you may argue that my chant doesn't strictly count since it was not actually in a football ground, but in my opinion this would be harsh, so rather like David Nugent selfishly belting the ball as it rolled over the goal line on his England debut, I'm unashamedly claiming it. Anyway, my moment as "chant starter" was all too brief and that overwhelming surge of adrenalin which rushed through my veins vanished as quickly as it had arrived, but it left me craving more and I can reassure you I will be back.

I am planning to start a chant of "Dooby dooby doo" some time towards the end of the 2027 season. If you hear me, please join in.

In the train carriage?

:huh:

No, at Milwall. Only 3 coaches made it there by 3pm, and few people had entered the seating area from the trains by that point.

In amid all the excitement of promotion, I forgot to mention an important landmark in the club's history that will have gone unnoticed and unmarked up until now.

For at Millwall away, at approximately 2.20pm, and after 29 years of active service supporting Bristol City, I am pleased to report that I started my first chant.

For many years I have willingly joined in songs started by others yet have withered at the fear of being the first to strike up a chorus, fearing that no-one would follow and I would end up looking a complete tosspot. In fact I first detailed my rather pathetic lifelong ambition here:

There was an abortive attempt earlier in the season at Middlesboro away, when I toyed in advance with the idea of striking up a chorus of "There's only one Lee Johnson". I was egged on by a number of posters on this very forum who offered encouraging words. Some even promised to join in. Some of those who promised to join in even went to the game. However, in amid all the clamour and excitement I...er...forgot.

However, I am proud to announce that while packed onto a delayed train to Millwall, while stationary at London Bridge surrounded by riot cops, and admittedly after a couple of ciders, I broke my duck.

As we were all crammed into a carriage, there had been a hundred choruses of "Drink Up Thy Zider", "Everywhere we go", "Eieieio" and all the other usual old favourites. I had planned a momentous chant at a memorable, glamorous location, however, rather like losing your virginity it appears striking up your first City chant often happens in circumstances other than those you'd dreamed of. (For starters, I was surrounded by a hundred clammy armpits, aggressive riot police and a group of sweaty fellow Cidereads who looked suspiciously like Buster Bloodvessel, which is never nice in a dream). But I digress.

Again, to go back to the virginity analogy, after years of meticulous planning, a couple of dry runs and a few abortive attempts, in the end it just happened. There was a lull in proceedings on board, the half-a-dozen or so City fans who had been taking turns to lead the chants paused for a break, and before I could control the urge I surprised myself by unexpectedly yelling out. To labour the virginity analogy, despite plenty of warnings I had not even taken precautions (which in the case of chanting seems to involve surrounding yourself by at least six beered-up mates who have apparently signed an agreement in blood to instantly join any chant you start, in return for the same unquestioning vocal loyalty).

The chant I chose after all these years was sadly unimagitive, however in my defence it was a solid and fitting selection ideal for a novice to test the ground and get off to a confident start, which I felt was better than being over-ambitious and falling flat on my face. Filled with cider and an unRedtop-like moment of confidence, I shouted: "One team in Bristol, there's only one team in Bristol."

And I am pleased to report that my fellow City fans did not abandon me. I was not plunged into that hell of being the solo singer, previously only experienced after going on a little bit too long occasionally when chanting, and finding myself yelling a final over-enthusiastic and ill-judged "Come on yoooo reds" into the silence after everyone else has stopped (incidentally, isn't it funny how we usually all know insitinctively when a chant has reached its critical tipping point and it is time to stop in unison?)

No, on this occasion I was saved from humiliation as the whole carriage joined in and loudly sung together: "...there's only one team in Bristol." Admittedly, it continued for just two more "otibs" and then vanished into the ether, but it was enough to spare my blushes and, albeit briefly, fill me with the pride and blood-tingling sensation of power and world domination that accompanies the role of "chant leader". To return to my virginity analogy for one final time, it was probably all over in no more than eight seconds. But that's probably too much information...

The pedants among you may argue that my chant doesn't strictly count since it was not actually in a football ground, but in my opinion this would be harsh, so rather like David Nugent selfishly belting the ball as it rolled over the goal line on his England debut, I'm unashamedly claiming it. Anyway, my moment as "chant starter" was all too brief and that overwhelming surge of adrenalin which rushed through my veins vanished as quickly as it had arrived, but it left me craving more and I can reassure you I will be back.

I am planning to start a chant of "Dooby dooby doo" some time towards the end of the 2027 season. If you hear me, please join in.

Ahhh got it now Brian.

I'm sure you were seen, arms aloft, taunting the Millwall fans with a chant of;

"I am Redtop, i am Redtop, super Redtop, from the Gate, i am Redtop, super Redtop , i am Redtop from the Gate".......a tad vain perhaps, but 1st chant in 20 odd years?

You go for it fellow.........Arn

Me and my mate started about 20 songs between us at Oldham. about 15 between us at Crewe and Carlisle (including ripping the sh1t out of the "Eminem steward" and god knows how many more at other games. Considering where we were sat at Millwall, we did pretty well to start 3 or 4.

Me and my mate started about 20 songs between us at Oldham. about 15 between us at Crewe and Carlisle (including ripping the sh1t out of the "Eminem steward" and god knows how many more at other games. Considering where we were sat at Millwall, we did pretty well to start 3 or 4.

Now you're just showing off...

Hilarious post-struck a chord.

Archived