IGNORED

No Smoking In All Seating And Concourse Areas

BB.

As much as I personally hate smoking, my mantra has always been that people should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt unwilling others.

So using that train of thought..

Indoors smoking ban - fair enough - those who smoked selfishly harm those who don't.

Outdoors smoking ban - pointless and authoritarian. Passive smoking is incredibly unlikely to harm someone outdoors.

Why go to extremes - why not have a series of smoking areas away from the stands if they're that paranoid?

Guest DanC
Easy, I have a fag every 45 mins or so at work. :)
Same here, Just don't tell my bosses.

Our place has been Non Smoking inside from the day we opened a year ago but there is a area outside in the yard where we our allowed to smoke. As far as we are aware we shall continue to be allowed to use this area when the smoking ban kicks in.

As much as I personally hate smoking, my mantra has always been that people should be able to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt unwilling others.

So using that train of thought..

Indoors smoking ban - fair enough - those who smoked selfishly harm those who don't.

Outdoors smoking ban - pointless and authoritarian. Passive smoking is incredibly unlikely to harm someone outdoors.

Why go to extremes - why not have a series of smoking areas away from the stands if they're that paranoid?

Absolutely spot on.

I'm going to laugh my tits off at some of these people who are happy with liberty being curtailed for no good reason when the government's health witch doctors get started on the next obsession of theirs.

Drinking is next on the list, mark my words. The age will be going up to 21 and they will be after limits on how much alcohol one place can serve you in one evening, vastly higher taxes on booze, no drinking in public...

It's for your own good though.

Guest Eamer

You go on a Holiday to a foreign country on a plane and manage to not smoke then so why not in a Football ground for 90 minutes too? The vast majority of us don't want smoke blown around us. You've paid to give yourself a higher chance at cancer and others really don't want it as well. Have one before you enter the premises and one after you leave. Use it to try quit if it bothers you that much. Think of the amount you spend on cigarettes in the year... surely that could pay for your season ticket and stop you moaning.

Guest DanC
You go on a Holiday to a foreign country on a plane and manage to not smoke then so why not in a Football ground for 90 minutes too? The vast majority of us don't want smoke blown around us. You've paid to give yourself a higher chance at cancer and others really don't want it as well. Have one before you enter the premises and one after you leave. Use it to try quit if it bothers you that much. Think of the amount you spend on cigarettes in the year... surely that could pay for your season ticket and stop you moaning.
Never been abroad, Don't want to go abroad in the foreseeable future so your theory goes out of the window there.

I understand that people don't want to breath my smoke in, But can they also understand I don't want to breath in the fumes from there gas guzzlers?

All I want and is teh choice to pop out at HT for a fag like last season. It's abit of give and take from both sides.

You go on a Holiday to a foreign country on a plane and manage to not smoke then so why not in a Football ground for 90 minutes too?

Choice. There's a safety reason for not smoking on a plane. There's no reason smoking in the open air is unsafe. Why should a smoker have to go without?

The vast majority of us don't want smoke blown around us.

It's called tolerance. The thing is that all the objections boil down to "I don't like the smell". That's pretty intolerant.

I might not like the whiny sound of someone's voice or looking at their ugly spotty mug but I won't complain about it.

I wouldn't light up next to a non smoker, and if I did I'd expect to get asked politely to piss off. But I expect the right to go somewhere and smoke if I wish to.

Intolerant fools that back legislation that prevent me from doing what I want because "they know best" are allowing the government to slowly bring this risk averse and health and safety focussed country to it's knees with a top heavy nanny state. We're breeding a generation of pussies.

You've paid to give yourself a higher chance at cancer and others really don't want it as well.

Passive smoking can only happen in enclosed spaces with massive exposure over _years_. It absolutely cannot happen outdoors. There is zero chance of you getting cancer caused by passive smoking at a football ground.

Here's an interesting challenge. Ask one of these health experts to name one person in the entire world who died from passive smoking.

Smoking increases your risk of cancer, no more no less. Some people enjoy it.

Bunjee jumping increases your risk of dying from elastic band failure - should that be banned? How about mountain climbing, motor racing, walking around outside after dark or any other passtime that increases risks?

Have one before you enter the premises and one after you leave. Use it to try quit if it bothers you that much.

Think of the amount you spend on cigarettes in the year... surely that could pay for your season ticket and stop you moaning.

Ah the usual self righteous holier than thou babble.

One of the central tenets of a free society is the right to choose. It's none of your business what someone else chooses to do. It's their choice. You have no say in it, even if you think you know better.

You won't like it when the shoe is on the other foot, and the government ban crap music because it's bad for your ears and legislate that everyone under 21 has to stay indoors because they increase the risk of crime.

You won't like it when the shoe is on the other foot, and the government ban crap music because it's bad for your ears and legislate that everyone under 21 has to stay indoors because they increase the risk of crime.

Please tell me this is going to be true :fingerscrossed:

As for the smoking, I don't personally smoke but both my parents smoked 30 - 40 a day while I lived at home (about 20 years), never really bothered me and never really made me want to try smoking.

And as far as I'm aware, it has not affected my health unlike the amount of spotty little urchings who like to give it the big "I am" and wish to stove my face in because they're not old enough to have a pint or because they can't handle the 3 pints that they've alreay had.

I now live / work in a pub and smoking still doesn't bother me, the general feeling I get from my regulars is that it will mean they will spend more time outside my pub but then we have also been told by a few less regulars that they will be spending more time in our pub.

Same as all the other things that get changed, everyone will adapt to it and life will go on.

Guest DanC
If you cant go an hour and a half without have a fag, l suggest that you might have some serious issues.
I can go without a fag for an hour and half. I Would just like to have the choice. Football for me is more than the actual match. It's the pre match pint, The cheeseburger and the fag at HT. Take any of them away and it just isn't the same.

And its more than a hour and half it's get in the ground at 2.15ish so 45+45+15+45=2 hours 30 mins. Apart from when I'm sleeping I don't go that long without a fag. So trying to go 2 and a half hours without a fag whilst watching football which at times is stressful is not something I want to do.

Not wanting to turn this thread into smokers anonymous, but...........I lost both Grandparents on my mothers side to the C word. I`ve smoked since i was 12 and if it wasn`t for certain life experiences i would probably have given up by now. I live by the mantra that life`s too short to spend it wrapped in cotton wool, i stress thats my own way of thinking, i`m not trying to convert people. I don`t smoke in the house or in other peoples houses unless invited to do so.

Anyway, the Miss Perfect thing was meant to be a fun thing, soz.

PDG

Let me get this straight, lifes too short, but you smoke hence increasing the likliness of getting a disease...

You know why you enjoy smoking, because you started smoking. You smokers get your 'relief' from smoking to return to a state that non smokers at permanently in.

Smoking, mugs game.

Guest DanC
Let me get this straight, lifes too short, but you smoke hence increasing the likliness of getting a disease...

You know why you enjoy smoking, because you started smoking. You smokers get your 'relief' from smoking to return to a state that non smokers at permanently in.

Smoking, mugs game.

All about choice. You probably do things you enjoy that others don't but we don't go around calling you a mug. It's not your life and it's not you being affected by it so just leave it.

At the end of the day we only have one life. So myself I try to enjoy it as much as I can and I enjoy smoking. My nan died at the age of 85 despite smoking 30 fags a day from the age of 16. And she enjoyed it so went out happy.

People blab on about I don't want to breath in all your smoke blah blah blah but when you walk down the road you are in fact breathing in alot more crap from all the cars than you would if you were sat next to someone at AG who's smoking.

I'm all for having a smoking ban in the stadium but all I want is the option to quickly pop out for a fag at HT. Who will that harm as presumably only smokers will be out there.

If this option is not given then people will light up in the stands.

Simpleton.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that to a non smoker, car fumes are more unpleasant than smoke from someone next to you?

Guest DanC
Simpleton.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that to a non smoker, car fumes are more unpleasant than smoke from someone next to you?

It's not about being unpleasant though is it? It's about the alleged health risks? You stick your head next to a running car exhaust for five Min's and I can assure you that will be more unpleasant than sitting next to someone who's smoking for five Min's.

It's not about being unpleasant though is it? It's about the alleged health risks? You stick your head next to a running car exhaust for five Min's and I can assure you that will be more unpleasant than sitting next to someone who's smoking for five Min's.

I cant speak for others mate, but to me, its the unpleasantness of having to breath it in that pisses me off.

The health factor comes second, and it important, but as you say, other things are bad for you.

I really cannot emphasise enough how horrible it is to breath in, which is what happens if someones smoking next to you. I don't ever plan on having to stick my head up and exhause..

People blab on about I don't want to breath in all your smoke blah blah blah but when you walk down the road you are in fact breathing in alot more crap from all the cars than you would if you were sat next to someone at AG who's smoking.

Cars don't park indoors with their engines running......but you'd soon complain yourself if they did.

Would you sit next to me in a confined space if I kept farting all night?

Guest DanC
Cars don't park indoors with their engines running......but you'd soon complain yourself if they did.
They do in garages

Would you sit next to me in a confined space if I kept farting all night?
Do I sit at AG smoking? No, Why? Because I'm thoughtful enough to know that not everyone wants to breath my smoke in. So all I'm asking is to be given the option to pop outside at HT for a fag. Nothing wrong with that. Wont affect you as you will be inside AG and its outside.

In Canada here but coming there in the near future... As a reformed smoker most expect me to be anti smoking but I'm not more anti smoking then most smokers.

The issue in confined spaces like building and such is the same as if someone is wearing a horrnedous perfume... it jsut reeks... whereas if they are wearing a nice mellow scent it is kinda nice, like a good cigar :rolleyes:

Being allowed to step out to an open area should be a right even for the perfumed ones. The smoking bans have been in force here a few years and the smoking outside is only controlled in the areas of high walking traffic just outside of a building. Most companies and building companies have found a place outside and away from high traffic areas to let smokers go. To encourage it they put ashtrays and some even put up umbrellas for rain or sun protections and other such niceties.

To make it a major issue is what causes people to get upset... and the C side of things... I smoked for 30 plus years and quit a year ago. No C in my family and doctors say not likely going to be an issue to me. I quit because I wanted to not becasue I was told to or had to.

So good luck all you smokers with the new rules, time will make it less stressful with any luck. Less stress means less smoking usually and therefore the ST might be more affordable ( and yes joking on this part) :sofa:

Not at all, I just cannot comprehend why you would do something to yourself that you knew had a high chance of killing you. I understand that once you start its an addiction, but if I knew that something was going to damage and possibly kill me I wouldnt start it in the first place.

Tell you what, come and meet my Grandad, he gave up smoking over 20 years ago, and its still slowly killing him today.

I'm really and truely not trying to be patronising, but looking at him when I was growing up, and what his life is like has put me off even trying a cigarette.

Sorry but this is a rubbish debate.

I smoked for many years but gave up three years ago cos of the cost.

It makes you stink and does you harm but is a guaranteed enjoyment for a smoker which is a rarity for anyone in today's world.

Although there is anecdotal evidence that working all day in a six foot square office with someone who smokes 60 a day ( pretty rare ! ) will not benefit your lungs, there is absolutely no scientific evidence that passive smoking harms anyone.

The best studies published in Lancet indicate that children of two smokers who never smoke themselves are two times less likely to get lung cancer than children of non smokers who never smoke themselves.

Obesity can kill you so lets ban food.

Go to the pub, get pissed, drive home and kill someone.

Never heard of anyone getting killed cos a driver had a fag in the pub.

If the government really cared about it they would ban drinking alcohol in pubs and allow smoking.

Talk about the nanny state - like I said - rubbish debate !

Sorry but this is a rubbish debate.

Although there is anecdotal evidence that working all day in a six foot square office with someone who smokes 60 a day ( pretty rare ! ) will not benefit your lungs, there is absolutely no scientific evidence that passive smoking harms anyone.

The best studies published in Lancet indicate that children of two smokers who never smoke themselves are two times less likely to get lung cancer than children of non smokers who never smoke themselves.

Never heard of anyone getting killed cos a driver had a fag in the pub.

!

Come on a few of you have been cynical about the passive smoking debate but its been proven, its a given. I'd trust the advice of someone in the medical profession anyday over some of your speculation

Come on a few of you have been cynical about the passive smoking debate but its been proven, its a given. I'd trust the advice of someone in the medical profession anyday over some of your speculation

Sorry but no - quote / name / reference any single scientific paper which proves passive smoking is harmful - there aren't any !

Sorry but no - quote / name / reference any single scientific paper which proves passive smoking is harmful - there aren't any !

A major review in 1998 by the Government-appointed Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) concluded that passive smoking is a cause of lung cancer and ischaemic heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a cause of respiratory disease, cot death, middle ear disease and asthmatic attacks in children.

There is also some evidence to suggest that passive smoking may affect children's mental development. SCOTH has looked at the data since 1998 and concluded secondhand smoke is damaging.

Job done. Do you want more?

Deaths from secondhand smoke

Whilst the relative health risks from passive smoking are small in comparison with those from active smoking, because the diseases are common, the overall health impact is large. Professor Konrad Jamrozik, formerly of Imperial College London, has estimated that domestic exposure to secondhand smoke in the UK causes around 2,700 deaths in people aged 20-64 and a further 8,000 deaths a year among people aged 65 years or older. Exposure to secondhand smoke at work is estimated to cause the death of more than two employed persons per working day across the UK as a whole (617 deaths a year), including 54 deaths a year in the hospitality industry. This equates to about one-fifth of all deaths from secondhand smoke in the general population and up to half of such deaths among employees in the hospitality trades.

Risk to young children

Almost half of all children in the UK are exposed to tobacco smoke at home. Passive smoking increases the risk of lower respiratory tract infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia and bronchiolitis in children. One study found that in households where both parents smoke, young children have a 72 per cent increased risk of respiratory illnesses. Passive smoking causes a reduction in lung function and increased severity in the symptoms of asthma in children, and is a risk factor for new cases of asthma in children. Passive smoking is also associated with middle ear infection in children as well as possible cardiovascular impairment and behavioural problems.

Infants of parents who smoke are more likely to be admitted to hospital for bronchitis and pneumonia in the first year of life. More than 17,000 children under the age of five are admitted to hospital every year because of the effects of passive smoking. Passive smoking during childhood predisposes children to developing chronic obstructive airway disease and cancer as adults. Exposure to tobacco smoke may also impair olfactory function in children. A Canadian study found that passive smoking reduced children's ability to detect a wide variety of odours compared with children raised in non-smoking households. Passive smoking may also affect children's mental development. A US study found deficits in reading and reasoning skills among children even at low levels of smoke exposure.

For further information regarding the health risks of exposure to secondhand smoke for adults and children see the 'Going smoke-free' report by the Royal College of Physicians.

http://www.ash.org.uk/html/passive/html/passive.html

Still want me to carry on?

Archived