IGNORED

Season Ticket Dilemna

Nibor

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I will definitely renew my season ticket, but I want a way of making the club aware just how much of a useless see you next tuesday I think Colin Sexstone is for ripping us off.

Here's what I'm resolved to doing.

First I'm going to write a long, verbose letter addressed personally to Steve Lansdown explaining in great detail exactly why this price increase is disgusting, and asking for a meeting to discuss his view on why it is necessary to take jump our prices over and above many already established Championship clubs, and ask why he didn't deem it necessary good practise to reward existing customers with an early bird scheme like every other club has done.

I'm going to include it with my renewal form and a cheque for £455 which will be put into the post at the last possible moment on Tuesday 12th June.

If everyone who feels like I do, delays renewing their season ticket until the last possible moment we will put the shits up Sexstone about sales being low and give the idiots a nice administrative headache of getting a whole load of forms that need processing in one day without doing any permanent harm to the club.

Just a suggestion as to how to make your opinions heard as forcefully as possible without doing any harm.

I don't see what the point in rushing for tickets is anyway. Ok so I understand about the people who want to go in the east end but whats the point getting your tickets so early? Just means that the club make more money on the interest on what we spend. I'm bemused as to why the early bird prices have not been in force this year. Bit of a slap in the face for loyal season ticket holders who have supported the club for so many years. Thousands of pounds spent and no loyalty reward. Thats my biggest gripe about it all.

A very clever idea you HAD there Nibor except you have now ruined it by advertising it on this forum. Do you not think that people from the club read this forum and therefore will no longer be $h1tt1ng themselves until the 12th of June at the very earliest now?!!

A very clever idea you HAD there Nibor except you have now ruined it by advertising it on this forum. Do you not think that people from the club read this forum and therefore will no longer be $h1tt1ng themselves until the 12th of June at the very earliest now?!!

I think people at the club like Sexstone disregard the fans entirely as nothing other than a source of income and they have no reason to blame any lower than expected season ticket sales on one thread on a much derided internet forum.

Of course, if it turns out that this forum and the supporters do have a voice then perhaps in future Colin will think twice before shitting on the fans.

I'm in a bit of a quandary. I will definitely renew my season ticket, but I want a way of making the club aware just how much of a useless see you next tuesday I think Colin Sexstone is for ripping us off.

First I'm going to write a long, verbose letter addressed personally to Steve Lansdown explaining in great detail exactly why this price increase is disgusting, and asking for a meeting to discuss his view on why it is necessary to take jump our prices over and above many already established Championship clubs, and ask why he didn't deem it necessary good practise to reward existing customers with an early bird scheme like every other club has done.

I'm going to include it with my renewal form and a cheque for £455 which will be put into the post at the last possible moment on Tuesday 12th June.

If everyone who feels like I do, delays renewing their season ticket until the last possible moment we will put the shits up Sexstone about sales being low and give the idiots a nice administrative headache of getting a whole load of forms that need processing in one day without doing any permanent harm to the club.

Just a suggestion as to how to make your opinions heard as forcefully as possible without doing any harm.

Sexstone and co are playing one game and one game only. If they sell as many season tickets for next season as they have for the season just finished they will consider it a success. Never mind if some of the long (suffering) serving ST holders are priced out of it. If new ST holders materialise then the club is being well run and making good money out of it.

Your argument is somewhat weak when you start with

I will definitely renew my season ticket
. They win, you lose. That's the game (market) we are in and I suspect City have pitched it just right.

Sexstone and co are playing one game and one game only. If they sell as many season tickets for next season as they have for the season just finished they will consider it a success. Never mind if some of the long (suffering) serving ST holders are priced out of it. If new ST holders materialise then the club is being well run and making good money out of it.

Your argument is somewhat weak when you start with . They win, you lose. That's the game (market) we are in and I suspect City have pitched it just right.

What argument? I'm suggesting a way to make a point. They already know that almost everyone who can renew will that's how they have us over a barrel, so let's take whatever opportunity we can find to sound a warning note.

Legend, will do the same..........Arn

Of course, if it turns out that this forum and the supporters do have a voice then perhaps in future Colin will think twice before shitting on the fans.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but how has Colin shat on the fans? Colin, Steve, Gary (and the back room staff) have delivered exactly what we asked them to do, and I maintain that if someone had offered me a 30% increase in ST prices in return for promotion at the start of the season I would have bitten their hands off.

If he didn't raise the ST price, would you decree that Colin has shat on the fans if the club hasn't got enough cash to purchase the players we need to stay up? or when the end-of-year financials are particularly weak meaning we move into financial difficulties? Or that we can't develop the stadium and have to get extra cash in from sharing with the egg-chasers?

I don't particularly like Sexton, and I support your idea to write to the club to complain, but to suggest that Colin has sh1t on the fans is a bit over the top.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but how has Colin shat on the fans? Colin, Steve, Gary (and the back room staff) have delivered exactly what we asked them to do, and I maintain that if someone had offered me a 30% increase in ST prices in return for promotion at the start of the season I would have bitten their hands off.

If he didn't raise the ST price, would you decree that Colin has shat on the fans if the club hasn't got enough cash to purchase the players we need to stay up? or when the end-of-year financials are particularly weak meaning we move into financial difficulties? Or that we can't develop the stadium and have to get extra cash in from sharing with the egg-chasers?

I don't particularly like Sexton, and I support your idea to write to the club to complain, but to suggest that Colin has sh1t on the fans is a bit over the top.

Well, for Nibor to make a coment like this, he, seriously hissed off.

I think CS has come to a football club with a CV that impresses Mr L.

Prob is, dear Colin, don't know sweet fa about football fans.

Doing a good job? Well on the back promotion, he really cant lose.

But i like to speak to C excet,s who know the history of Bristol City.

Someone who can remember the likes of GOW, SWEENEY, etc etc .

Ive spoken to Colin many times, and he don't have a clue!

Infact, its a sad fact that football clubs, like ourselves will now be money making machines!

Right or wrong, i aint sure, but this is a world where it has to be........sad.......but true

Spot on.

CS did well at Gloucestershire, when the team were doing well.

In SL's eye's he will have been doing well at Ashton Gate (because the team is doing well).

The fact is the guy has NEVER been a grass roots football fan, (did he ever have a season ticket?), and he has been lucky to have had well performing teams on the pitch to help him bring in the money and make his bottom line look good.

I shall also wait until the last couple of days before renewing, and lets face it every current season ticket holder will almost certainly also renew, apart from a few who genuinely can't afford the extra money.

Chief Execs or what ever he is now called come and go, the sooner he goes the better.

Name me one genuine football fan who is in the position of Chief Executive (not chairman) of a successful team either in the Premier or Championship?

Sexton's job is to run the business, and provides the capital foundation to allow the football related employees to translate that to success on the pitch.

Come on Nibor.. you knew a fairly big increase was coming. prices have been held, I believe, for two years now.

Increases are never particularly nice agreed but when you consider the average salary of a player in the Championship is more than 3 times, yes 3 times, that in League 1 you might consider they have relatively little choice IF they are not to continue losing money. Sad fact.

Anyway, you think you are hard done by.. go over to the forest forum on vital football and see them bemoaning the liklihood of price increases after being kicked in the teeth by Yeovil. You want depression... go and read their forum and it might cheer you up.

How has Colin sh$t on the fans??

1. The way the longterm s/t holders were treated in the Williams over the Premier Club

2. The Buy-a-brick fiasco

3.Having to join the supporters club to use Dolman bar

4.His feeble and factually inaccurate response to the Millwall CATS fiasco

5. 30%= increase in s/t, no early bird for renewing fans

That enough proof!?

When Sexton was asked why S****horpes prices were less than ours his reply was that, Bristol was a bigger place, even bigger than Norwich and Ipswich and we were comparable in price to them.I can only assume from this comment that he sees the market place as bigger and if the existing S T holders don't renew, then sod them someone else will, (hopefully). The question then would be, will these more affluent S T holders stick with the club when times aint so good ? me thinks not.

I've never suggested prices shouldn't have gone up, quite the opposite. I just think that >30% in one go, with no loyalty whatsoever shown to the 8,000+ fans who've stuck by the team through thin and thinner is shitting on them.

15-20% would not really generate them any less money because they'd be playing in front of average crowds of 15-16,000 instead of the 13-14,000 we will see next season.

What's happened is, Mr Sexstone has seen promotion and the £ signs have flashed in his eyes, he hasn't done his homework. Getting more and more people to come and watch us every week even at the next level is hard work and will be made far harder by these unprecedented increases that make us more expensive than the majority of the rest of the division.

I want more people through the gates every week, that's what this club needs for the long term future, not more wealthy fans who will disappear if the worst happens in place of people who've stuck it out.

Come on Nibor.. you knew a fairly big increase was coming. prices have been held, I believe, for two years now.

No they haven't, they've gone up every time but not in an obvious fashion. They've done it by making the early bird renewal price the same as the previous year's full price and increasing the full price every year.

Increases are never particularly nice agreed but when you consider the average salary of a player in the Championship is more than 3 times, yes 3 times, that in League 1 you might consider they have relatively little choice IF they are not to continue losing money. Sad fact.

The only way this argument holds is if you believe that they will make more money in total from the coming season with these higher prices than they would have without them. I don't.

I believe that a more reasonable increase and some loyalty shown to supporters would mean we're playing in front of a bigger crowd each week. I don't think there was any chance of us selling the 15,000 season tickets necessary to make limited supply relevant even with no increase and history would bear that out.

The average salary argument in the Championship isn't a good one. It's massively distorted by the clubs dropping down from the £30m a season Premiership with players on twenty grand a week and 2 years of £11m parachute payments. We are not going to be competing with those clubs on financial terms regardless of how expensive tickets get.

Our average first team salary will go up a bit and we will probably be paying senior pros like Carey, Brooker etc around the three grand a week mark in the Championship. We would have a better budget than a fair few sides even were there no increase.

Anyway, you think you are hard done by.. go over to the forest forum on vital football and see them bemoaning the liklihood of price increases after being kicked in the teeth by Yeovil. You want depression... go and read their forum and it might cheer you up.

I don't think I'm hard done by, I won't have any difficulty finding the money. Plenty of people who've supported us for the last eight years will, and that's who I feel hard done by on behalf of. Colin Sexstone simply does not comprehend the attachment fans have to a football club, he doesn't get it.

I wanted Ashton Gate to be a vibrant place this coming season, packed to the rafters full of long standing supporters delighted to be watching their team compete at a better standard, some of whom would have been enticed back after becoming disillusioned, some of whom would be new fans enticed by the success, every single one of them getting behind the team and creating an atmosphere.

The likelihood now is that we won't see that, we will see some longstanding fans unable to come as often and their places taken by the slightly better off who don't really have it in their blood. There will be empty seats and there will be far less tolerance from fans particularly if we now don't make big money signings.

What Sexstone has done, in my view, is made a mistake that will get us no extra money but put more pressure on GJ and make the experience less than it could have been. I think we've really missed an opportunity to take a leap forward and drag a lot of new people into the pain that is being a City fan. They won't bother now.

If we sell out every week or sell an unprecedented number of season tickets I will be the first to apologise. I bet I don't have to.

I've never suggested prices shouldn't have gone up, quite the opposite. I just think that >30% in one go, with no loyalty whatsoever shown to the 8,000+ fans who've stuck by the team through thin and thinner is shitting on them.

15-20% would not really generate them any less money because they'd be playing in front of average crowds of 15-16,000 instead of the 13-14,000 we will see next season.

What's happened is, Mr Sexstone has seen promotion and the £ signs have flashed in his eyes, he hasn't done his homework. Getting more and more people to come and watch us every week even at the next level is hard work and will be made far harder by these unprecedented increases that make us more expensive than the majority of the rest of the division.

I want more people through the gates every week, that's what this club needs for the long term future, not more wealthy fans who will disappear if the worst happens in place of people who've stuck it out.

No they haven't, they've gone up every time but not in an obvious fashion. They've done it by making the early bird renewal price the same as the previous year's full price and increasing the full price every year.

The only way this argument holds is if you believe that they will make more money in total from the coming season with these higher prices than they would have without them. I don't.

I believe that a more reasonable increase and some loyalty shown to supporters would mean we're playing in front of a bigger crowd each week. I don't think there was any chance of us selling the 15,000 season tickets necessary to make limited supply relevant even with no increase and history would bear that out.

The average salary argument in the Championship isn't a good one. It's massively distorted by the clubs dropping down from the £30m a season Premiership with players on twenty grand a week and 2 years of £11m parachute payments. We are not going to be competing with those clubs on financial terms regardless of how expensive tickets get.

Our average first team salary will go up a bit and we will probably be paying senior pros like Carey, Brooker etc around the three grand a week mark in the Championship. We would have a better budget than a fair few sides even were there no increase.

I don't think I'm hard done by, I won't have any difficulty finding the money. Plenty of people who've supported us for the last eight years will, and that's who I feel hard done by on behalf of. Colin Sexstone simply does not comprehend the attachment fans have to a football club, he doesn't get it.

I wanted Ashton Gate to be a vibrant place this coming season, packed to the rafters full of long standing supporters delighted to be watching their team compete at a better standard, some of whom would have been enticed back after becoming disillusioned, some of whom would be new fans enticed by the success, every single one of them getting behind the team and creating an atmosphere.

The likelihood now is that we won't see that, we will see some longstanding fans unable to come as often and their places taken by the slightly better off who don't really have it in their blood. There will be empty seats and there will be far less tolerance from fans particularly if we now don't make big money signings.

What Sexstone has done, in my view, is made a mistake that will get us no extra money but put more pressure on GJ and make the experience less than it could have been. I think we've really missed an opportunity to take a leap forward and drag a lot of new people into the pain that is being a City fan. They won't bother now.

If we sell out every week or sell an unprecedented number of season tickets I will be the first to apologise. I bet I don't have to.

smack on son.

What argument? I'm suggesting a way to make a point. They already know that almost everyone who can renew will that's how they have us over a barrel, so let's take whatever opportunity we can find to sound a warning note.

Argument was the wrong word. If you want to take every opportunity to make a point you could start by not buying a ticket. But you will.

Sexstone has forecast exactly what you will do and got it just right. Arguably, this makes him a great Chief Executive.

I don't care about sexstone, all i want to do is be able to afford to watch City.

When we are being charged £450 and the Wigan are charging £250 to watch Premiership football that really gets my goat. I live in London and it costs me enough already tto watch City (when i can) looks like i wont be going as much next season.

Argument was the wrong word. If you want to take every opportunity to make a point you could start by not buying a ticket. But you will.

Sexstone has forecast exactly what you will do and got it just right. Arguably, this makes him a great Chief Executive.

It makes him a complete idiot who is totally out of touch with fans because there are some fans who can't afford to and plenty of potential fans who now won't bother that otherwise would have.

It's better for the long term future of the club to be playing in front of 16,000 people paying slightly less than 14,000 paying slightly more.

NIBOR...you do make a very good case. I should have done a bit more homework so apologies for that but i am glad i made a somewhat inaccurate remark as it drew out your very good riposte and TWATERS I think also sums it up very well when he says the following....

I don't care about sexstone, all i want to do is be able to afford to watch City.

When we are being charged £450 and the Wigan are charging £250 to watch Premiership football that really gets my goat. I live in London and it costs me enough already tto watch City (when i can) looks like i wont be going as much next season.

That last paragraph is indeed a bit of a shocker if entirely accurate. I suspect City would love to charge £250 but they want to be able to cover their costs and maybe they feel the 30% increase is the only way of doing it.

As you say Nibor, time will tell over the coming weeks just how many ST's are sold. One thing is for sure as I think you said...Early Bird FOR SURE should have been offered to loyal ST holders from this last season.

I think a good way of rewarding loyalty in another way would be to say that for every away ticket is shown to the club a decent discount will be given to a pay on the day ticket for an ST friend or family member. This would perhaps encourage more away support which, as it happens, is pretty damn good anyway. Or, all ST holders should have discounts on all second tickets bought for home games. It's something that generates extra income and does not hurt their accounting of upfront ST fees. Might be worth a punt when you or anybody else writes in; 'ok so we disagree with the huge hike, we will stay loyal, we are not happy, but give us something in return.'?

NIBOR...you do make a very good case. I should have done a bit more homework so apologies for that but i am glad i made a somewhat inaccurate remark as it drew out your very good riposte and TWATERS I think also sums it up very well when he says the following....

That last paragraph is indeed a bit of a shocker if entirely accurate. I suspect City would love to charge £250 but they want to be able to cover their costs and maybe they feel the 30% increase is the only way of doing it.

As you say Nibor, time will tell over the coming weeks just how many ST's are sold. One thing is for sure as I think you said...Early Bird FOR SURE should have been offered to loyal ST holders from this last season.

I think a good way of rewarding loyalty in another way would be to say that for every away ticket is shown to the club a decent discount will be given to a pay on the day ticket for an ST friend or family member. This would perhaps encourage more away support which, as it happens, is pretty damn good anyway. Or, all ST holders should have discounts on all second tickets bought for home games. It's something that generates extra income and does not hurt their accounting of upfront ST fees. Might be worth a punt when you or anybody else writes in; 'ok so we disagree with the huge hike, we will stay loyal, we are not happy, but give us something in return.'?

I think the only problem with the away idea is away ticket revenue doesn't go to City it goes to the other club I think. However even though it doesn't make us money, away support is very important to the team on the pitch. Certainly some sort of away club where you get reductions on tickets purchased because you're committed to going to five, 10 or more games would sound good but in the past when this has been talked about the varying prices and the uncertainty about allocations has been a problem. Not saying there isn't a way around it.

I would certainly be in favour of more loyalty rewards and they should definitely be focussed around trying to get even more people to watch us week in week out so discounts on second POTD tickets sounds good to me. I think a referral reward for new season ticket sales could be a winner - recommend a friend and get £50 back or something. I'd also like to see family and friends schemes introduced, someone wanting to take their wife and two teenagers now would be looking at over a grand...

If Sexstone had handled this correctly with a reasonable increase and got everyone on side I firmly believe we could be averaging over 16k next season. As it stands unless we somehow start flirting with the playoffs it ain't going to happen.

I think the only problem with the away idea is away ticket revenue doesn't go to City it goes to the other club I think. However even though it doesn't make us money, away support is very important to the team on the pitch. Certainly some sort of away club where you get reductions on tickets purchased because you're committed to going to five, 10 or more games would sound good but in the past when this has been talked about the varying prices and the uncertainty about allocations has been a problem. Not saying there isn't a way around it.

I would certainly be in favour of more loyalty rewards and they should definitely be focussed around trying to get even more people to watch us week in week out so discounts on second POTD tickets sounds good to me. I think a referral reward for new season ticket sales could be a winner - recommend a friend and get £50 back or something. I'd also like to see family and friends schemes introduced, someone wanting to take their wife and two teenagers now would be looking at over a grand...

If Sexstone had handled this correctly with a reasonable increase and got everyone on side I firmly believe we could be averaging over 16k next season. As it stands unless we somehow start flirting with the playoffs it ain't going to happen.

Nibor.. your first paragraph.. i meant to put it across as a discount for a home ticket if an away stub is shown..your other points sound reasonable. It may explain why Stoke's average attendance this season has been a paltry 15.3k when, according to a stoke fan friend of mine it should be nearer 17k. Stoke is, admittedly, one of the poorer regions in the land.

Clearly Mr. Sexstone is not doing a great job of endearing himself to the fans.. I wander what the ticket on the day prices will be... god forbid. I saw Charlton v Fulham this season for £18.00. I suspect a City home match with Charlton for an adult will be around £28 in the Williams.. as you say.. they better be in the upper half or their attendances will surely be struggling to average more than 14k. Fingers crossed some incentives do come in.

Sorry I misread.

POTD prices have been announced already though I can't find them on the main site now. I think the better seats were £28-30 and the cheapest anywhere was £25.

CRIPES. thanks for that. £60 in petrol plus that you may as well say its a ton for 90 minutes.. probably end up going to more away games next season and have quite a few to choose from in the London area.

It makes him a complete idiot who is totally out of touch with fans because there are some fans who can't afford to and plenty of potential fans who now won't bother that otherwise would have.

It's better for the long term future of the club to be playing in front of 16,000 people paying slightly less than 14,000 paying slightly more.

How do you know that if they dropped the price they would get such an increase of supporters?

I went to a presentation by a guy called Tim Schmidt who designed and built the Eden Project. When the meeting took place to decide the ticket price he met with the Cornish County Council. He asked them what they thought he should charge. They said about £4. He told them he was going to charge £12. They said he was mad, nobody would pay that. He pointed out that if you want to give the impression that a experience is worth doing and savouring you have to attach a perceived value.

In the end he won the argument and the County Council told him the whole enterprise would be a flop so they were pulling out their financial support. He said fine, put the ticket prices up to £16 to cover the difference and launched what has consistently been one of the highest grossing attractions in the UK.

Now I know that the Eden Project and BCFC are totally different animals, but there is an argument that to get the public to value an experience as something worthwhile, you've got to price it at something worthwhile.

I would therefore counter that a drop in ticket prices may not suddenly see a jump in supporters. Additionally, in the minds of the Bristol public our price increase may go a long way to differentiating us from the sh1t they play over at the Memorial Ground.

Just my two pence worth.

Archived