IGNORED

2 Strikers Down

Longacre_red

Well two possible signings out of the window!

Iwelumo (free) and Varney (2mil) both joined charlton!!

I'm guessing varney wasn't a realistic target was he? 2mil cant see us spending that much!

those two strikers are out the window know but i was just browsing through the city website and looking at players released from there clubs this season and noticed that rohan ricketts and carl cort have both been released from wolves!

what do you lot make of this ?

Charlton snap up Varney & Iwelumo

Charlton have made their first signings since relegation by snapping up strikers Luke Varney and Chris Iwelumo.

Varney, 24, will cost an initial £2m from Crewe, while 28-year-old Iwelumo, who was out of contract at Colchester, arrives on a free transfer.

"Luke is an exciting young player and perfectly fits the mould of a Charlton player," said Addicks boss Alan Pardew.

"Chris has a great goalscoring record and the fact he's free represents a fantastic bit of business."

The duo will be hoping to spearhead Charlton's return to the Premiership at the first attempt.

Pardew has told the club he is hoping to add further new signings throughout the close season.

That parachute payment really makes a difference doesn't it? A minimum of £2m is a lot for a team in the Championship to pay. It shows what we'll be up against.

My goodness, Pardew could have bought Cotts from us for what he's paid for Varney!

those two strikers are out the window know but i was just browsing through the city website and looking at players released from there clubs this season and noticed that rohan ricketts and carl cort have both been released from wolves!

what do you lot make of this ?

Carl Cort ? No way, if you thought Lee Matthews was injury prone, then this bloke makes him seem practically superhuman.

Already been posted...

Many fans believe we are the kind of club able to get a hold of one of the Championship's leading scorers. Despite the fact we haven't played a game at that level since 1999. Suddenly Promotion means we can attract teams who are finishing in the top half of the Championship, or the European Championships' highest scorer?

Here is a link to BB's crystal bollcks BBC SPORT enjoy looking.

Actually heard from the same guy that told me that Pardew was coming in for Les (Dead Man Walking) Reed a day or so before-We'll see if Iwelumo's a donkey soon enough.We've missed out there although I think Varney's "salty" at £2m unless it's one of those "eventually" deals.

Like someone else said, that's the League we're in now so we might need another 30% increase next season.

I'd be surprised if we see him make 10 starts next season to be honest.

He'll do well with better quality players around him and he'll dig in on cold Tuesday nights......at places like Ashton Gate.All in all we'll have to wait & see but I think we've missed out.Pardews no mug and knows what it takes to get out of The Championship which he'll need to do to keep his job.

Oh I am sorry and that man has a big mouth...

:laugh:, charming. If you look at my initial comment there was a whistle at the end representing a tongue in cheek comment. I'd ask you both to have a look on the forum and see that this has been posted already today.

:laugh:, charming. If you look at my initial comment there was a whistle at the end representing a tongue in cheek comment. I'd ask you both to have a look on the forum and see that this has been posted already today.

Mate, my comment was tounge in cheek too, read it a few times and you might get it, just a little monday night banter :englandsmile4wf:

Also just for the record, I knew Charlton signed the 2 but was just having a tounge in cheek comment at Bristol Boy.

I posted tonight when I got home from work and hadn't surveyed the Forum so apologies if it's already been under discussion.I had a message about that and another City transfer target on the way home.People who know me and I trust know who that target is but I'm keeping it off the Forum as I was asked.In fairness the Charlton guy had left a message for me at 8.30am but I was conducting a training course all day and didn't pick it up until tonight.

No way could we go to that for Varney unless SL did it himself and Charlton are a higher profile club than us these days.I think Iwelumo was more realistic until Charlton got involved.

He'll do well with better quality players around him and he'll dig in on cold Tuesday nights......at places like Ashton Gate.All in all we'll have to wait & see but I think we've missed out.Pardews no mug and knows what it takes to get out of The Championship which he'll need to do to keep his job.

Well, I think he's just finished the only good season he'll ever have and he will revert to being as poor as usual next season. He doesn't have the basic ability needed IMO.

I think Pardew's just thought "why not, he's free" and brought him in for cover.

The guy's quality. He absolutely destroyed Danny Coles when Colchester played Hull this season. As Pardew says 'fantastic business'.

Any half decent target man can make Danny Coles look a mug! Wayne Allison made him and Flapper look a right pair of bozzos a couple of years ago.

Archived