IGNORED

Can Scott Murray Do A Job For Us In The Championship?

LoyalRed

i'd give him one more season for now. Just because he is in his 30's don't mean to say he can not cut it in the 2nd tier in the english league. Was'nt Brian tinnion in the list of best golden oldies in 2004 at the age of 36.

also Teddy Sheringham, 41 now i think and he still immense

i'd give him one more season for now. Just because he is in his 30's don't mean to say he can not cut it in the 2nd tier in the english league. Was'nt Brian tinnion in the list of best golden oldies in 2004 at the age of 36.

also Teddy Sheringham, 41 now i think and he still immense

But these are different people i mean how can you compare somebody just down to their age. Thats like comparing Me to Tristan Plummer and to be honest i know who id choose :noexpression:

But these are different people i mean how can you compare somebody just down to their age. Thats like comparing Me to Tristan Plummer and to be honest i know who id choose :noexpression:

the problem with comparing Murray to Sheringham is that Sheringham's play hasn't changed, he's never had pace because he never needed it, he used his brain all the time. Murray has lost a yard or 2 over the years, i see no harm in keeping him on, even if it's for dressing room morale. But he can still do a job for us.

isn't Murrays special quality running though. He will not be the same player he was 5 years ago because he is a lot older now and the legs arn't as good as they used to be.

isn't Murrays special quality running though. He will not be the same player he was 5 years ago because he is a lot older now and the legs arn't as good as they used to be.

Exactly my point, i don't know if hes good enough but from both of your posts one says that you want to keep him on because he is worth another season and the other says his legs are going.

Which way are you going to swing?

On balance a one season deal is probably sensible at reduced terms.

Scott is 33 this week and has picked up the useful knack of scoring goals along with the not so useful knack of picking up injuries at the end of the season in 3/5 seasons, including the last two.

He was available for 37/58 games last season and has played or been sub on 113 occassions in the last three seasons, spookily giving an average of 37 appearances per season.

25 Goals since he re-signed from Reading gives him a career record of about 1:4 which is good for a wide player.

Guest ashtonyate

Scott has been a good servant to the club but he did go to Reading to better his self which was right for him, now the the club have got to do whats right for them.

I think it would be better to let him go I think Ward would give him a go, after all he was not that good in the Championship with Reading a few years on he has lost a bit of pace so would find it even harder

showed without doubt last season that he still has the ability to get goals and will be a vital part of next seasons squad due to his on field ability and off-field sprit in the dressing room.

Lansdown and Murray have already said the new contract will be forthcoming but only once he has recovered from his injury,

Murray has said he has no desire to leave,

Lansdown has said he couldn't imagine the club in the Championship without him,

He showed at Reading he could cut it in the Championship and personally I think he will do well again

Guest ashtonyate
showed without doubt last season that he still has the ability to get goals and will be a vital part of next seasons squad due to his on field ability and off-field sprit in the dressing room.

Lansdown and Murray have already said the new contract will be forthcoming but only once he has recovered from his injury,

Murray has said he has no desire to leave,

Lansdown has said he couldn't imagine the club in the Championship without him,

He showed at Reading he could cut it in the Championship and personally I think he will do well again

You don't half talk some twaddle Scott was let go because he was not good enough all this new Manager coming in thats why he left is rubbish He was not good enough you don't let player go if they can play.

You don't half talk some twaddle Scott was let go because he was not good enough all this new Manager coming in thats why he left is rubbish He was not good enough you don't let player go if they can play.

I watched him at Reading and I thought he played well for them - but he was a different player then.

If anyone is in any doubt as to why Scott should be given another year then they should have gone to Rotherham last season. We were well on the way to another disappointing defeat when Scott pulled a cracker out of the bag. No other City player currently on the books could have scored that goal - or his goal against Middlesbro at home. It's his eye for a goal we need - he also has the skill of being able to "pass" the ball into the net. Maybe next season he should try and pass that skill on to Betsy and Wilson who can't buy a goal.

As players get older they rely less on their legs and more on their brain.

that's crap. he played nearly every game for Reading before Pardew left. Coppell came in and got rid of him because Murray didnt suit his style of play.

He showed at Reading he could cut it in the Championship

Initially, yes, over the piece, no and that's why they "sold" him back to us.He was about five years younger then and a lot quicker.I like Scott * I think he'll get a sensible offer from City.He can still sign for Cheltm at the end of next season.

Incorrect, it's been reported on here plenty of times, why he came back and what happened.

He went to Steve Coppell asking to leave Reading not long after Coppell had taken over at Reading, Coppell didn't want to sell him, but agreed as he only wanted to keep players who were 100% commited to Reading, at which point he came back

prior to that he was 25 starts and 5 goals, which is pretty decent in the championship.

but why let facts get in the way of slander

Initially, yes, over the piece, no and that's why they "sold" him back to us.He was about five years younger then and a lot quicker.I like Scott * I think he'll get a sensible offer from City.He can still sign for Cheltm at the end of next season.

he's aged 5 years in the 3 years he's been back with us???? that's some scary shit!

I don't often post on here, but felt obliged to do so this afternoon.

Scott will be offered a one year deal, he is currently in Greece on holiday, so we will hear about this on his return. He has no desire to play anywhere else, and wants to remain in Bristol when his playing days are over.

I don't often post on here, but felt obliged to do so this afternoon.

Scott will be offered a one year deal, he is currently in Greece on holiday, so we will hear about this on his return. He has no desire to play anywhere else, and wants to remain in Bristol when his playing days are over.

exactly the same as what he said in the EP in the last week or so.

Guest ashtonyate
You said the same of Louis Carey and the Coventry situation - change the record mate.

Yes i did and i stand by it both did not cover there self's in glory when they played in that division and i think both will find it hard in the Championship

he's aged 5 years in the 3 years he's been back with us???? that's some scary shit!

I suppose it was four based on when he actually joined them but the fact remains he's older and for a player that's a lotl about pace & confidence, it's a factor.I've been consistent in saying a season on reduced terms and I reckon that's what will happen.

Yes i did and i stand by it both did not cover there self's in glory when they played in that division and i think both will find it hard in the Championship

Carey started 26 times until he decided he got home sick and came back in January. Must have been doing all right because that means he started nearly every game.

Guest ashtonyate
Carey started 26 times until he decided he got home sick and came back in January. Must have been doing all right because that means he started nearly every game.

I just don't buy the home sick thing he was only 80miles away you could drive that if you were that home sick,wait and see he will be playing full back by the end of the season

Scott has been a good servant to the club but he did go to Reading to better his self which was right for him, now the the club have got to do whats right for them.

I think it would be better to let him go I think Ward would give him a go, after all he was not that good in the Championship with Reading a few years on he has lost a bit of pace so would find it even harder

The term 'servant' always bothers me. Especially when applied to millionaire Premiership players. Not that I'm suggesting our Scotty is either... :whistle2:

I just don't buy the home sick thing he was only 80miles away you could drive that if you were that home sick,wait and see he will be playing full back by the end of the season

There's a bit more to being homesick than just distance. Whole new working life, new team mates, manager etc. Some people just don't settle after such a long time with one employer. If someone came to me after 15 years with one employer I probably wouldn't look at them as they would be pretty "institutionalised".

80miles? hmmmm, Bristol to Coventry, by my reckoning (well the AA) is over 108miles?

personally speaking 216miles is a bloody long round trip to be doing each and everyday, plus alot of clubs have it written into players contracts that they have to live within a certain distance of the club.

sometimes things are more important than football

but hey, as ever why let lies get in the way of facts

Guest Eamer

Why can't Murray do a job for us still? I'd like to see him get a new one year deal. Giggs has adapted as he's got older for Manchester United for example.

Archived