IGNORED

I Went To See The Glovers!

ChubStixx

I've only just got back from the play-off final, and I must say, I really enjoyed my day.

As a football fan, a lad from the west country and somebody who has kept an eye on Yeovil since they broke into the football league back in 2003; I thought i'd instinctivley take to them during the game. I never did. Of course I would have preferred Yeovil to have won the game; but as each Blackpool goal went in, all i could think of saying to my brother was "Oh, that was a good goal".

Bristol City Football Club is well and truely in my blood; and there's certainly nothing like watching your own team, that's for sure.

w2bi5.jpg

w1ms0.jpg

w3sf2.jpg

We left Bristol by coach at 6.50am and only really encountered any traffic upon reaching london, as expected. The return journey followed suite. Not a tractor in sight. ;)

The game itself was good, there was however, only one team who ever looked like winning - Blackpool. They are excellent on the break, as we found out to our dismay earlier in the season, and they deployed this tactic time and time again today. If not for poor finishing at times, blackpool could have had 3 or 4. If they keep the majority of their squad and bring in a few reinforcements, I can see them easily holding their own in the league above.

Keigan Parker was everywhere today, my man of the match, and what a goal!

If I was to sum up both teams in a word:

Blackpool - efficient.

Yeovil - toothless.

There was a good turnout today. The Blackpool end was buzzing and they were clearly louder than their counterparts. What they were singing however, I don't know! I did feel sorry for those in the Yeovil end trying to stir up an atmosphere - they really couldn't understand why everyone was so silent and why no-one was joining in with their chants. At one point, one fan stood up, turned around and said something like "Come on everyone, we're at wembley!!". I suspect this was somthing to do with the number of neutrals spread amoungst the Yeovil faithful.

w4wo3.jpg

w5ij8.jpg

As for the stadium itself, it's wonderful. Easy in, easy out and the tube works wonders.

We were a couple of rows from the back of the South Stand and the view was fine. Okay, the players were small but I didn't have too much of a problem identifying them, but that may have been because I was familiar with both teams and had swatted up on them before hand. Still, give me Ashton Gate any day!!

Air horns and those blow-horn things need to be banned!! So very annoying!!

Sorry if I sound a little harsh on yeovil; i'm just giving an honest account.

I've only just got back from the play-off final, and I must say, I really enjoyed my day.

As a football fan, a lad from the west country and somebody who has kept an eye on Yeovil since they broke into the football league back in 2003; I thought i'd instinctivley take to them during the game. I never did. Of course I would have preferred Yeovil to have won the game; but as each Blackpool goal went in, all i could think of saying to my brother was "Oh, that was a good goal".

Bristol City Football Club is well and truely in my blood; and there's certainly nothing like watching your own team, that's for sure.

w2bi5.jpg

w1ms0.jpg

w3sf2.jpg

We left Bristol by coach at 6.50am and only really encountered any traffic upon reaching london, as expected. The return journey followed suite. Not a tractor in sight. ;)

The game itself was good, there was however, only one team who ever looked like winning - Blackpool. They are excellent on the break, as we found out to our dismay earlier in the season, and they deployed this tactic time and time again today. If not for poor finishing at times, blackpool could have had 3 or 4. If they keep the majority of their squad and bring in a few reinforcements, I can see them easily holding their own in the league above.

Blackpool - efficient.

Yeovil - toothless.

There was a good turnout today. The Blackpool end was buzzing and they were clearly louder than their counterparts. What they were singing however, I don't know! I did feel sorry for those in the Yeovil end trying to stir up an atmosphere - they really couldn't understand why everyone was so silent and why no-one was joining in with their chants. At one point, one fan stood up, turned around and said something like "Come on everyone, we're at wembley!!". I suspect this was somthing to do with the number of neutrals spread amoungst the Yeovil faithful.

w4wo3.jpg

w5ij8.jpg

As for the stadium itself, it's wonderful. Easy in, easy out and the tube works wonders.

We were a couple of rows from the back of the South Stand and the view was fine. Okay, the players were small but I didn't have too much of a problem identifying them, but that may have been because I was familiar with both teams and had swatted up on them before hand. Still, give me Ashton Gate any day!!

Good post, Suey. I agree with every word.

Shame wembley have screwed up again by only puting a roof that partially closes not covering the pitch only the fans. :clapping: Where is the sence in that.? The roof should fully close.

What i also want to know is WHY!!!!! were Blackpool allowed to take 2 drums into the stadium and when Yeovil asked if they could take their trumpets :trumpet: in they were turned down? discrimination springs to mind.

Even if the roof did fully close, you would still get wet. Appeared to be leaking, had a few drips land on my head!

We had a great day out, ok so we lost. We have been in League One for 2 years, Blackpool 29. Thank you to all you City Fans that came to support us today, so we couldn't have impressed you more, but i'm sure you all watched the Forest Game!!!

Best of Luck to you next season, and look after my little Lee - i do miss him at Yeovil!

GG x

The roof does fully close doesn't it?

Also... why so many empty seats?

The roof only closes enough to keep spectators dry and the empty middle seats are those purchased on long term deals by the corporates and well off people. If they choose not to go they remain empty the same as season ticket seats.

Blackpool - efficient.

Yeovil - toothless.

Traitor.

Saddam Hussein would have dealt with the likes of you.

• SC&T Board Members
The roof only closes enough to keep spectators dry and the empty middle seats are those purchased on long term deals by the corporates and well off people. If they choose not to go they remain empty the same as season ticket seats.

Well, it's like season tickets for cup games - the 'Club Wembley' debentures they have bought give them first option to buy these seats for games such as these ... but after they have declined to take up that option (don't know how far in advance they have to make up their minds) the seats are available for Wembley to sell. Disgracefully, Wembley's management (against the wishes of the Football League) elected not to sell these for the play-offs, citing 'segregation' worries! Huge own goal IMHO - they've missed out on revenue and it detracts from the whole look of the stadium having so many empty seats.

So if Wembley have the same way of calculating the attendance as Ashton Gate, ie season ticket holdes are included in the total whether they attend or not because their seat has been paid for, you could technically have a 90,000 sell out crowd , and yet still have the whole middle tier practically empty.

Also, I read somewhere that Wembley was the largest covered stadium in the world, so surely the roof must fully close.

Even if the roof did fully close, you would still get wet. Appeared to be leaking, had a few drips land on my head!

We had a great day out, ok so we lost. We have been in League One for 2 years, Blackpool 29. Thank you to all you City Fans that came to support us today, so we couldn't have impressed you more, but i'm sure you all watched the Forest Game!!!

Best of Luck to you next season, and look after my little Lee - i do miss him at Yeovil!

GG x

Yep, the 'against all odds' forest game was compelling viewing. It's something you'll remember for a long time, just like we remember our come-back against Hartlepool in the play-offs a few years back.

Yeovil are without a doubt a good club with a big heart. Good luck next season to you too.

I didn't mean the middle section. I know those are normally empty, as they were when i watched the Exeter game. I was referring to Tier 5, and behind the goal. It was all very patchy.

• SC&T Board Members
So if Wembley have the same way of calculating the attendance as Ashton Gate, ie season ticket holdes are included in the total whether they attend or not because their seat has been paid for, you could technically have a 90,000 sell out crowd , and yet still have the whole middle tier practically empty.

Also, I read somewhere that Wembley was the largest covered stadium in the world, so surely the roof must fully close.

Nope, it doesn't. It's the largest covered stadium in the sense that all of the seats are covered ... the grounds elsewhere in the world that have larger capacities have some seats / terracing exposed to the elements (generally the sun!).

As I understand it, the roof at Wembley only moves for one reason - to allow more sun onto the pitch when games are not being played, i.e. in its match-day configuration the front of the roof is pulled forward to keep spectators dry, but at other times part of the roof pulls back to give the pitch a better chance of growing well.

A Gashead acquaintance (I don't have Gashead 'friends') told me he was disappointed with Wembley and it wasn't a patch on the Millennium Stadium.

He said the stadium itself is fine, if underwhelming when compared to the media hype (bloody journalists), but the Mill Stad experience is much better because it is situated in the city, so you can drink at the pubs outside beforehand, lounge around by the castle etc, and soak up the atmosphere. As we all know, Wembley is in the middle of a dump of an industrial estate so you get none of the ambience.

Still, nothing compared to some of the dumps they'll be visiting in the league, even if they have just got promotion.

Also went to see Yo Yo in action, football and result speaks for itself as for the rest

Facilities in the surrounding areas are poor or non existant, you will never beat the ablilty to have a beer in Cardiff then 5 minutes later wonder on into the Stadium , Wembley surrounds are still unsightly though it looks as if there clearing a couple of areas for redevelopment, something it definately needs.

Facilities Inside good, loads of loo's loads of refreshment bars, all reasonably quiet yesterday probably due to press coverage amount the prices (even I brought my own M&S sarnies in) beer £3.50 which to me is high but not horrific while the pizza type things at £4 looked decent value in fairness, burger and sausage in rolls looked the worst value, coffee and chocky bar £2.70 so okish.

Atmosphere great if your winning, Pool were quality (especially there 'Seaside' shout), Yo very quiet can be difficult amongst 30k to get a song going to cover all areas, Yo failed yesterday, something like 'Irene' was ideal for Rovers, generally basic songs would gain no momentum.

View from the seats good, stadium is much deeper than Cardiff and looks much bigger inside, stating the obvious but its chalk and cheese inside compared to the previous version.

Access by train was great, Paddington then a couple of tube stops to Wembley Park, no probs at all, really surprised how quick we got back loads of people on Wembley Way and expected big delays at the tube station but quite straighforward could have easily been back at Paddington by just after 6 if necessary. Obviously can't comment about Coach travel, personally if you can afford it i'd always go by train.

Many will miss Cardiff's allround experience of pub / shop etc then stadium on tap, here its very much two seperate things or just take in the footy, personally though I welcome its return and look forward to going there again with City in the Championship play off final 2009/10 !!

A Gashead acquaintance (I don't have Gashead 'friends') told me he was disappointed with Wembley and it wasn't a patch on the Millennium Stadium.

He said the stadium itself is fine, if underwhelming when compared to the media hype (bloody journalists), but the Mill Stad experience is much better because it is situated in the city, so you can drink at the pubs outside beforehand, lounge around by the castle etc, and soak up the atmosphere. As we all know, Wembley is in the middle of a dump of an industrial estate so you get none of the ambience.

Still, nothing compared to some of the dumps they'll be visiting in the league, even if they have just got promotion.

Exactly my thoughts, having been to Wembley for the u21 game a month or so ago. Maybe a sell out for England v Brazil on Friday will change my mind - I cant wait!

The buzz around cardif due to being in the centre is something else. You can walk for ever around wembley without seeing anyone selling anything, any pubs / bars etc..

Seemed a but heartless and lacking soul, which is something that you could not say about old wembley! It is a nice build and everything, just think for over 700Mill you could get something a lot better (the stadium of light only cost 25mill to build 8 or 9 years ago, not that i am comparing the two!)

Shame wembley have screwed up again by only puting a roof that partially closes not covering the pitch only the fans. :clapping: Where is the sence in that.? The roof should fully close.

What i also want to know is WHY!!!!! were Blackpool allowed to take 2 drums into the stadium and when Yeovil asked if they could take their trumpets :trumpet: in they were turned down? discrimination springs to mind.

just ask Ajax and you knoiw why..i think they have changed there pitch over 30 times the air doesnt circulate ,i was there when they were relaying the pitch last time.

Also went to see Yo Yo in action, football and result speaks for itself as for the rest

Facilities in the surrounding areas are poor or non existant, you will never beat the ablilty to have a beer in Cardiff then 5 minutes later wonder on into the Stadium , Wembley surrounds are still unsightly though it looks as if there clearing a couple of areas for redevelopment, something it definately needs.

Facilities Inside good, loads of loo's loads of refreshment bars, all reasonably quiet yesterday probably due to press coverage amount the prices (even I brought my own M&S sarnies in) beer £3.50 which to me is high but not horrific while the pizza type things at £4 looked decent value in fairness, burger and sausage in rolls looked the worst value, coffee and chocky bar £2.70 so okish.

Atmosphere great if your winning, Pool were quality (especially there 'Seaside' shout), Yo very quiet can be difficult amongst 30k to get a song going to cover all areas, Yo failed yesterday, something like 'Irene' was ideal for Rovers, generally basic songs would gain no momentum.

View from the seats good, stadium is much deeper than Cardiff and looks much bigger inside, stating the obvious but its chalk and cheese inside compared to the previous version.

Access by train was great, Paddington then a couple of tube stops to Wembley Park, no probs at all, really surprised how quick we got back loads of people on Wembley Way and expected big delays at the tube station but quite straighforward could have easily been back at Paddington by just after 6 if necessary. Obviously can't comment about Coach travel, personally if you can afford it i'd always go by train.

Many will miss Cardiff's allround experience of pub / shop etc then stadium on tap, here its very much two seperate things or just take in the footy, personally though I welcome its return and look forward to going there again with City in the Championship play off final 2009/10 !!

Only thing I would point out, them beer prices a bit higher than normal for round there.

Wasn't Robbored either was it donkey.

and he aint the chairman of the Supporters club, and all round killjoy either

Oh I dunno, he is regarded by many on here as a killjoy. not least for his don't go on the pitch views.

Beer prices, living within a half hour of the place, its true. and likewise, although I went to the old Wembley three times to watch England

Archived