IGNORED

Season Long Loans

Eddie Hitler

Premiership clubs do not loan out their best players but where they keep buying new players (Chelsea, Man U, Spurs) there are a lot of younger players with no chance of getting a game that they are happy to loan out. As younger players they're not going to be that expensive.

Saw QPR did well with Jimmy Smith last season, Mikael Forsell was good a few years ago.

I'd like to see one or two come in as it's a fairly cheap way of adding quality.

Is this a good way or do we need to actually own the players?

Premiership clubs do not loan out their best players but where they keep buying new players (Chelsea, Man U, Spurs) there are a lot of younger players with no chance of getting a game that they are happy to loan out. As younger players they're not going to be that expensive.

Saw QPR did well with Jimmy Smith last season, Mikael Forsell was good a few years ago.

I'd like to see one or two come in as it's a fairly cheap way of adding quality.

Personally I think it's a very good avenue to go down but GJ seems to prefer the premanent signings option as there is no intereference from the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd etc.

I can see both sides of what GJ is saying but having never really gone down this avenue before, how much of a gamble could it really be?

You get a 19-21 year old in from one of the above said clubs, give him a full season in the 1st team squad, rather than just reserves and we get the benefit of a good young player at a small cost in comparision to what it would cost the player permanentley.

The downside would be that the above said Prem team could insist that the player starts in 90% of games or there will be problems between the clubs when the player dowsn't fit in as well or isn't as good as we were led to believe.

I think this is what GJ could be worried about as such.

This is where GJ's reputation within the game could come in, Birmingham did well through the system last season but the they have Steve Bruce in charge, who the likes of Arsene Wenger will have had contact with before, how much contact has there been between GJ and some of the big clubs?

GJ seemed to all but rule this out recently...he said it takes a year for them to get into " our mentality" and then it's time for them to go back, he also said he liked to have complete control/influence over players without the loan players manager possibly giving advice to the player that might contradict Gary's mantra!

Gary did say at the end of the topic (on BCFC World) that he "might consider it" but this was clearly just a politcal answer so as not say anything negative regarding team strenthening ie never say never - but if you listened he's clearly NOT in favour of this type of loan, and he's only looking at permenent signings that he can integrate and mould into "his team". for that reason I don't expect to see any old heads arriving - signings like Porter, Pospisil and this Celtic Icelandic 21 yr old seem much more like "GJ players".

SL also - I recall - has stated he dislikes this arrangement also.

So - in short - it's a no

CodeRed

If i were the boss, I would certainly be looking at least 2 seasons long loans, If we are to be realistic then a relegation battle possibly looms, so this could be a way of getting some quality on the cheap. (It didn't do Birmingham any harm or Stoke for that matter)

GJ prefers his own players.........and with his record on loans you can see why!!

Big difference with "loans with a view to" which are basically a fiddle around transfer regs on the majority of occassions and the kind of loans he subjected us to when he first arrived!

The season long loans almost saw Stoke make the play offs and played a big part in Birminghams promotion.

As always, it's all about the quality & attitude of who you bring in.

GJ prefers his own players.........and with his record on loans you can see why!!

Big difference with "loans with a view to" which are basically a fiddle around transfer regs on the majority of occassions and the kind of loans he subjected us to when he first arrived!

The season long loans almost saw Stoke make the play offs and played a big part in Birminghams promotion.

As always, it's all about the quality & attitude of who you bring in.

But if the quality was there, then surely GJ would be mad to ignore it

Archived