IGNORED

Anyone Still Have Faith...

Cooter

You're not comparing like with like.

The 17 goals from Jevons this season are in ALL competitions.

You're comparing that with Brookers 16 LEAGUE goals in the 2004-5 season. And you're also forgetting the goals he scored earlier in the season when he was at Port Vale. In all he scored 21 league goals that seasons (for the two clubs)

Thats pretty good in my book !

Brookers fitness has to be a worry, but I've no doubt that given a full season, he'll score us goals. And just as important, he'll create goals for our other strikers.

And i think Jevons HAS still got a place here. He could suit the Championship, because he should get more space to play the ball about (which is what he's good at) and the teams we'll be up against should be less physical.

I had a feeling that comparison might come back to haunt me! :noexpression:

And yeah, of course I remember now... :rolleyes:

Only a couple of months into the season, did we sign Brooker from Port Vale, and of course, in that very short time, Brooker already scored 5 goals for the Valiants, so yes, I do now agree that my post was more than slightly inaccurate, but again, my point was more to show, that whereas Brooker had a consistent partnership with Lita up front, Jevons never really had the same throughout most of this season just gone...

I'm not trying to make any excuses for him, just stating that inconsistency in team selection, can sometimes pile more pressure on certain team players, to get the job done in their roles for the game...

Still, on that note, I think I'll put this topic to bed now, but thank you all for your responses anyway!

Cheers,

Cooter

jevons should be kept i spose.... although since that hat-trick against gillingham in the fa cup, he hasnt done anything.... he deserves a chance and i feel him and showunmi upfront will do the job nicely... if johnson decides that he wants that kind of partenership up front

Jevons, Brooker, Showunmi, JMW and Plummer are presently the only forwards tied to full time first team contracts at the club.

For me JMW is still at least one seasons worth of experience away from threatening to be a regular first-team starter, and Plummer is only just starting out and cannot be expected to play more than handful of times, so as not to hinder his development.

We still could do with getting another wo senior forwards, leaving us with five. Looking at last seasons record with injury we'll need at least that...

Jevons has a place in the side, that's unless he wants to leave to get guarenteed a starting place every week, and I can't see that happening anywhere in the Championship. He will be a squad player, but that is no bad thing.

Okay.

He's still crap.

:rofl2br: you still laying in to jevo i see!!!

First off, regardless of anybody's opinion....

1. GJ has said ALL of last season's regulars will get their chance in the Championship - no reason to doubt the man.

2. We do not have a big enough squad

3. Why unbalance the squad that took us up all of whom made valuable contributions

In short we will add to the squad without depleting it. So, Jevo and Brooks are going nowhere from this evidence so why should we bother doubting it.

There seems to be a lot of posts about him as of late, and although most City fans have expressed that he wasn't quite up to scratch this season, which to be honest, I didn't think so too, although I did see potential in him at the start of the season, and even Phil Jevons himself stated that he didn't quite reach his target, during the promotion celebrations...

So it does make me wonder where his future lies...

Does anyone still believe that he'd be a worth a fair crack in The Championship though?

As I myself believe that we haven't seen him at his full potential yet, and only hints of what he can actually do with the ball, it's just a shame that on many more than one occasion, it didn't seem to happen for him, during the regular season... :dunno:

So finally, I'll put it like this:

Jevons: in, out, or still not sure?!

I've always said that I'd personally keep Jevons for one season next term.

I'm not saying he'd should get the number 10 shirt and start the majority of games at the sharp end but these are my reasons based on fact:

1) He comes from excellent pedigree at Everton plus various England youth teams

2) He should be coming into his prime at this stage of career

3) Last season was his first with the club, it always takes a little while to adjust to new surroundings

4) Look at Jamie Cureton for Colchester last season. I'd say Jevons could be a similar case

5) He will get more time on the ball to prove his ability

It all comes down to rhythm at the end of the day. If he started his BCFC career with a bang when he signed last season, he would've played more games. With him being pulled in and out of the line-up or played out of position it's nigh on impossible to get any continuity going IMO and for the sake of him having only one-year left on his contract, then what's the harm in keeping him on for another year? If it continues to not work out, he can leave at the end of next year. I certainly don't want to see him go to the Gas because I've a feeling that could backfire massively...

Get rid of him. he fades in too many games out of it. I would rather have a fit brooker and Enoch, than Jevons. If none of them are up to it, then get rid of them all. Our strikers were our weak link last season, by a long long way. Jevons played more than the others.

not good enough for the championship, if he fades in and out like he did last season.

Having watched Jevons for most of the season I've drawn the the conclusion that he just ain't upto it.People can say that he's been unlucky but at the end of the day bad luck doesn't stay with you all season.

He's got no pace - even to the point where the wits in the crowd were encourageing Jevons to 'use your pace' whenever he took off after a ball - they all knew he had no chance of getting there.

He's lightwieght.How many times did we see shouldered off the ball by burly defenders?He just doesn't have the body mass to hold his own.If he gained anymore weight he'd be even slower.

I think Johnson begun to question his belief in Jevons when he started leaving him on the bench.

I'd be amazed if the gas are interested in him.They already have two very pedestrian strikers in Walker and Lambert.Jevons would be a third.

Unless Jevons has a side to his game that we haven't seen over the last season I can't see him featuring much next season.

Give this man a medal. Somebody who watches the same game as I do :yahoo:

Many players make the grade at junior Level but fail to become decent pro's later on. This point is irrelevant today.

I don't see his next birthday being the catalyst for free scoring Jevons.

3) Last season was his first with the club, it always takes a little while to adjust to new surroundings

Another excuse. McCombe & Johnson seemed to settle okay.

4) Look at Jamie Cureton for Colchester last season. I'd say Jevons could be a similar case

Why??

Sorry but thats rubbish. He'll be up against faster,stronger and better defenders but you seem to think he'll do better than he did this time around?

I've always said that I'd personally keep Jevons for one season next term.

I'm not saying he'd should get the number 10 shirt and start the majority of games at the sharp end but these are my reasons based on fact:

he is coming into his prime, and has been playing at a better standard each season for the last few years, he scored when he was at Grimsby in the championship but was alot younger at the time, so 2nd time around I think he is more than capable of getting 15 goals next season.

Jamie Cureton is the perfect example, a player that scored alot in the lower leagues and didn't have the best of seasons prior to going into the championship and then took the league by storm.

Also correct that he will get alot more time on the ball which suits his game, in the championship the game is more about football and less about kicking shit out of an oppenent, at championship level we have more time to play our natural game and I think a few players such as Noble/Johnson and Jevons will really perform better at that level and they can be more creative.

He's probably our most experienced forward currently at the club and personally speaking I wouldn't be suprised to see him start the season up front.

Johnson has complete faith in the player and has shown in recent times, however tail end of last season he did lose his place, however that was more down to the change of formation playing 4-5-1 to include Noble and Johnson than a case of dropping Jevons.

He has another year left on his contract and I fully expect him to complete it.

he is coming into his prime, and has been playing at a better standard each season for the last few years, he scored when he was at Grimsby in the championship but was alot younger at the time, so 2nd time around I think he is more than capable of getting 15 goals next season.

Jamie Cureton is the perfect example, a player that scored alot in the lower leagues and didn't have the best of seasons prior to going into the championship and then took the league by storm.

Also correct that he will get alot more time on the ball which suits his game, in the championship the game is more about football and less about kicking shit out of an oppenent, at championship level we have more time to play our natural game and I think a few players such as Noble/Johnson and Jevons will really perform better at that level and they can be more creative.

He's probably our most experienced forward currently at the club and personally speaking I wouldn't be suprised to see him start the season up front.

Johnson has complete faith in the player and has shown in recent times, however tail end of last season he did lose his place, however that was more down to the change of formation playing 4-5-1 to include Noble and Johnson than a case of dropping Jevons.

He has another year left on his contract and I fully expect him to complete it.

Johnson had to change the formation because he knew Jevons and co just wernt going to do the business, thats why he changed tactics and tried to make the team more solid to break down in the knowledge we just wernt going to score too many!

Jevons was a disapointment last season,I don't think you can really argue that point. If Jevons does start next season i'll be extremely disapointed.

I will state what i have just posted in the other thread why start this ?

he has done a lot more than Brooker this season so lets get rid of brooks.

So has Bas Savage. Quick, sign him up.

Archived