IGNORED

Steve Lansdown

foghornred

:city: Just watched the interview with Steve Lansdown on BCFC World and have to say that he comes over as a man that wants the best for Bristol City.He also talks a lot of sense about the reason for the rise in season ticket prices.

I have seen him at a lot of away games as well as home games and think that we would rather have a real fan like him in charge than some foreign bloke with loads of money. :clap::clap::clap:

Warms the heart doesn't it!!

I just watched it as well, he mentioned giving GJ permission to makes approaches r.e transfers.

The sentence about him and Keith Dawe not taking a penny out of the club and them only putting money in was very good!

:city: Just watched the interview with Steve Lansdown on BCFC World and have to say that he comes over as a man that wants the best for Bristol City.He also talks a lot of sense about the reason for the rise in season ticket prices.

I have seen him at a lot of away games as well as home games and think that we would rather have a real fan like him in charge than some foreign bloke with loads of money. :clap::clap::clap:

I agree, it was a good interview, he does talk sense. The club is in very good hands..onward and upward!! :clapping:

Interesting that he said Danny Wilson was the long-term inspiration behind the push for a new training ground, and also good to hear they making progress on it. I think it is as key as the redevelopment of Ashton Gate when you look at our long term future.

I haven't seen it as World is a bigger rip-off than the season tickets (for some anyway; mine were a bargain) .

But, I can imagine what he says. Amazing how people can be taken in by a few well prepared words, isn't it?

Onwards and survival.

I wasn't too impressed with his comment with regards to Season tickets being frozen for two years, therefore thats partly justification for a whopping 36% increase!!

Whilst I'm on the subject, since the season ticket prices have been revealed I've only had one pay packet, and yet the club are only giving until the 14th June to reserve your seats. Come on, I need at least another pay packet to raise the extra increase, and as far as I'm aware, most people get paid at the end of a month!

It wouldn't have been so bad if we knew the rise was coming, but it was a bolt out of the blue!

Some interesting facts and figures, that can easily be forgotten.

Overall, glad to hear him say we want better players not the same or worse.Although it's obvious, it's not always happened and one of my complaints over the years is that we've gone for more of the same instead of raising the benchmark.

The new training ground is "coming along" and it recognised by all as a major plus point in attracting and retaining better players.The Dolman seats & PA got a mention, but not the pitch or subjects such as Ground Sharing with Bristol Rugby.The higher prices for youngsters in our best seats (Dolman Cente Blacks) got a specific mention on the basis that we need adults to maximise our revenue from those seats.

On transfers, he said he hadn't turned GJ down on a player and had given him permission to speak to some, although he also confirmed that "it wouldn't be many players" and that GJ had done a great deal of work before the proposal landed on his desk!

SL's as commited as ever, but I think that promotion may well have convinced him to stay on longer as Chairman.I'm not suggesting that he would have quit had we not acheived it, but going by what he said, he would have been bitterly disappointed and his insistence that the club isn't dependant on him for long term financial support-i.e. it falls over if/when his time is up, came through loud and clear.

Some Figures

• 17.5% VAT ON ST's (All Tickets Actually)
  • 2.5% Football League Levy
  • So a £375 ST actually nets the club £300
  • 1,400 People in The Foundation-Assuming they're all ST Holders, they'll renew at last seasons prices, however they'll be unable to pay in instalments.
These facts, not knowing the mix of sales and the increases, make it difficult to approximate where we need to be in terms of last years sales to hit the same watermark in financial terms.We know we had 7,460 ST holders when we kicked off 2006/2007.

We don't know the mix last season-Adults/Concessions, will be the same this time around or if people will renew in different areas, renew while being a foundation member, etc, etc.

One would assume The Premier Club will sell better, if not sell out and the demand from corporate clients would increase on matchdays and those will be interesting figures to look at along with our non football revenue.

I think it's fair to say that Steve mounted a robust defence of the clubs position and it sounded very much like he had worked out what the club needs in revenue to recoup a wage bill of around £5m (Double last season) with about £3m through the gates.This was contrary to the market research route mooted by CS, although Steve had spoken to some ST Holders with regard to their views, and, before someone says it, no I didn't get asked either :no:

He seemed understanding of the fans position yet clearlywanting them to appreciate his!

Be in no doubt that SL is the decision maker at AG-I'm not saying he doesn't listen to CS, DH & RP-and he mentioned a Board discussion,but both he and John Dawe will need to dig deeper than ST Holders to fund next seasons adventure and enable GJ to compete, according to Steve's interview.

"If you think your ST cost has gone up a lot, you should see mine" seemed to be the message.

Now, one could say, "well you're the owners, so what?"........But is that entirely fair?...........I'll leave that for you to judge!

Success on the field, as ever will be paramount and a lot will be forgotten if we approach the promised land........that's the upside! The downside will be if we struggle and at that point, things will become very difficult, as one thing that has definetly been acheived in raising prices, is raising expectations and I'll put myself in that court.

There is no doubt that long term ST holders aren't happy as the level of increase and the lack of a loyalty reward ala Early Bird, irrespective of other initiatives like The Foundation.

I suppose with 3,500 sold, inc a fair few (700 at a guess in the EE) we'll have to see what the final figure is and what that actually acheives in financial terms come Aug 11th at..........wherever we are!

A lot of our future will depend on our progress next season.In a nutshell, I think the majority of fans will want to see progress and will find a bottom six finish unacceptable,after the price hike.

I'll go on record as soon as I know the squad we're starting the season with, as to an acceptable finish and I'll be disappointed if at least four quality players don't arrive.As always, if FIT & ON FORM they MUST be automatic choices or in SL's words, "better than what's here already".

To end on a positive note, I don't think we'll go down with GJ at the helm, how far we can progress is in his (it's his team now and his players will join us) and SL's hands.The fans will, I'm sure, more than do their bit, home & away.

We are in largely uncharted waters-let's sail them together.

yep, Wilson was the one who orginally mentioned the training ground, beliveve it is just subject to planning permission at the moment, but it is vital to the club that this is done as the current facilities are well.......shit

Very straightforward. We all have to pay for doing well in the Championship. Fair enough.

But he didn't really address the lack of a loyalty discount as the question was put in a way to enable him to say something else.

I don't think he really addressed concerns about the cost of tickets and those that just couldn't afford it anymore - it was more or less a case of sorry, that's life.

And he didn't address the issue of potentially smaller crowds because of the costs, and maybe, just maybe, he would get the same revenue from a bigger crowd with lower costs - because he wasn't asked.

I agree and the time for those questions to be asked will be after the first few home games or possibly on 11th August when almost everyone who's going to buy an ST, has and we know what the end figure is.Currently he could say, "well, let's wait and see- we think we'll sell plenty of ST's" so we're dealing with a few "definite maybes!"If crowds are down on last season, in terms of home fans, then you're dealing with facts as opposed to supposition

As I say, it will appease some and that's fine.

I think it was done more to explain than appease in fairness

But I don't think anything has changed as far as I'm concerned. The prices are still too high and that will result in much smaller crowds than anticipated.

And that is entirely down to bad planning by him and his board.

And if that becomes clear,as it soon will, or our signings are less than we expect, that will be the time to bring those responsible to book

A bit off topic, but related all the same...

IF we spend small this summer on one or two unkown or low profile additions to the squad, yet come christmas this year we've overperformed and are in the top 10 with an outside chance of a playoff place, do you think SL would maybe gamble on one or two slightly more lavish players (maybe Naysmith for example, if his price tag keeps him at killie past the summer) if GJ felt they'd give us a chance (note 'chance', no certainties) at the premiership honey pot?

I know it's an odd question, but with all this talk of 'compeating' next year constantly tempered with the cautionary note of fiscal responsibilties, I can't help wonder at our position in the type of situation above and the clubs private ambitions for the next couple of years.

It could be seen as a gamble if we failed to make the cut or a masterstroke that set the club up for the next era (keeping in mind the rewards which will be available from next year on in the prem). It's the sort of thing clubs like Colchester were in no position to do last term, but we might be in a similar situation.

Even reaching the top league and coming straight back down would mean us becoming secure in terms of income, so what do you think SL might do?

IF we spend small this summer on one or two unkown or low profile additions to the squad, yet come christmas this year we've overperformed and are in the top 10 with an outside chance of a playoff place, do you think SL would maybe gamble on one or two slightly more lavish players (maybe Naysmith for example, if his price tag keeps him at killie past the summer) if GJ felt they'd give us a chance (note 'chance', no certainties) at the premiership honey pot?

I know it's an odd question, but with all this talk of 'compeating' next year constantly tempered with the cautionary note of fiscal responsibilties, I can't help wonder at our position in the type of situation above and the clubs private ambitions for the next couple of years.

Based on the fact that the difference between an average Championship Team & an Prem Team is £56m and set to rise to over £70m next season, he'd be mad not to......wouldn't he?

Based on the fact that the difference between an average Championship Team & an Prem Team is £56m and set to rise to over £70m next season, he'd be mad not to......wouldn't he?

What I thought.

I just was wondering how far the phrase 'compeating' was going to strech next term. GJ was agressive in pursuing consecutive promotions with yeovil and has stated on record he want us to be going full tilt next year again, just wondered if this might lead to a position where he and SL might disagree to what extent this 'compeating' should be funded is all.

What I thought.

I just was wondering how far the phrase 'compeating' was going to strech next term. GJ was agressive in pursuing consecutive promotions with yeovil and has stated on record he want us to be going full tilt next year again, just wondered if this might lead to a position where he and SL might disagree to what extent this 'compeating' should be funded is all.

The offers we have made for certain players would certainly be classed as competing,the better players have more plates spinning so any signings take a bit longer.

Just watched the interview and have to say that he came across very well as he usually does.

I have been a critic of him in the past but, I have to say he is starting to win me over.

I didn't always agree with his handling of certain sensitive issues like the prem seating, the ground split from the club, but, the appointment of GJ has been his masterstroke.

We have been big spenders in league 1 on management and players and had little to no return, but SL has offset that with his appointment of GJ, this has been the best signing in the last 8 years bar none, it's nice to look at the club and see that we have two very professional men in charge for once.

Now for a lie down after praising our chairman.

Archived