IGNORED

Realistic Transfer Targets

Almondsbury_red

the first would be rowan vine from birmingham. they wont need him now hes in the premiership and has proved himself at championship level. julian gray he was released from birmingham but the only problem i see could be his wages. peter benson he was the top scorer in the conference not sure if he would make it but he shouldnt cost 2 much coming from the conference. also gj likes his lower league workers so...

discuss people

the first would be rowan vine from birmingham. they wont need him now hes in the premiership and has proved himself at championship level. julian gray he was released from birmingham but the only problem i see could be his wages. peter benson he was the top scorer in the conference not sure if he would make it but he shouldnt cost 2 much coming from the conference. also gj likes his lower league workers so...

discuss people

Rowan Vine only moved in January and although his fee was undisclosed it will no have been lover than at least £.5million. Steve Bruce will not have been allowed to spend a sum like that only to ship him out six month later. And why would he want to move to us after Birmingham are now in the premiership? It would be a step back in his career path. The idea that we could sign him is far from realistic.

Julian Gray is a decent enough shout, the only question would be his wages, considering he was most likely on premiership level pay at Birmingham. Plus, despite having a decent enough record at premiership level he barely played at all last term, and got sent off in one of the few matches he did play. At 28 years old he might be a touch above the age we should be looking at, especially if he hasn't been playing very much recently. Realistic, but I firmly believe we could do better.

With Paul Benson the question exists; why bother taking the risk? The money it would cost to get him and his wages would be cheap, yes, but why not just put it toward another striker with a more proven track record? Benson did well last term, but that is it. He has never played above conference level, he has only played 72 competative games and he's 27 years old! None of these things mark him out as something special. Christ, Colin Cramb has hit more goals at an arguably more competative level in the last two seasons, and in less appearences to boot. Bring back Cramb! No, Paul Benson might be a half decent striker in the conference, and even in league two next term, but we are going to be needing players of a much higher calibre to be "competative" in the CCC. We COULD get him, but I don't think we will even be considering it TBH.

Realistic targets in my eyes; Chris Porter, Michal Pospisil, Arron Davies, Richard Garcia, Karl Hawley, Leon Best, Grant Holt, Craig Dargo and Kjartan Henry Finnbogason are all on the table. Got nothing to say we are looking at any of these, or indeed will be able to get any of them either. But considering wages, ages, career records, cost and other factors I think this list might contain some of our potential targets, and realisitc ones at that.

Rowan Vine only moved in January and although his fee was undisclosed it will no have been lover than at least £.5million. Steve Bruce will not have been allowed to spend a sum like that only to ship him out six month later. And why would he want to move to us after Birmingham are now in the premiership? It would be a step back in his career path. The idea that we could sign him is far from realistic.

Julian Gray is a decent enough shout, the only question would be his wages, considering he was most likely on premiership level pay at Birmingham. Plus, despite having a decent enough record at premiership level he barely played at all last term, and got sent off in one of the few matches he did play. At 28 years old he might be a touch above the age we should be looking at, especially if he hasn't been playing very much recently. Realistic, but I firmly believe we could do better.

Rowan Vine cost us £2.5 million rising to £3 million (no idea what the clauses were for the extra 500k) so I doubt they would let him go anywhere, with the rumour that we're about to sign Viduka on a free (but £5 million for a 3 year deal!!!) someone in our front line has to make way as we have too many, my guess is DJ Campbell and the rumour was he was on his way to Bristol City on a season loan.....personally I think he'll leave for a fee but I don't know where.

As for Julian Gray, he's a really good player but has lost his way at Birmingham......fell out with the fans, manager all through no real fault of his own (it's a really situation) I don't think he's a big money either, if he was they would have sold him on much =, much quicker and not wait to release him. I mean this in the nicest possible way, I don't think you could do better....

Cheers,

Matty.

Rowan Vine cost us £2.5 million rising to £3 million (no idea what the clauses were for the extra 500k) so I doubt they would let him go anywhere, with the rumour that we're about to sign Viduka on a free (but £5 million for a 3 year deal!!!) someone in our front line has to make way as we have too many, my guess is DJ Campbell and the rumour was he was on his way to Bristol City on a season loan.....personally I think he'll leave for a fee but I don't know where.

As for Julian Gray, he's a really good player but has lost his way at Birmingham......fell out with the fans, manager all through no real fault of his own (it's a really situation) I don't think he's a big money either, if he was they would have sold him on much =, much quicker and not wait to release him. I mean this in the nicest possible way, I don't think you could do better....

Cheers,

Matty.

Fair play, and I wasn't so much suggesting we could do hugely better than Gray in terms of ability, just that for the same money we might be able to get someone a bit younger as a longer term solution.

The whole Rowan Vine thing is crazy money, did he even score a single goal after moving to you from Luton? Clearly has some class but as with Varney that deal was a prime example of the ex-prem teams having the money to price out all comers. In a way it doesn't bother Bristol City, cause we not likely to be competing with them for the same players, just means we have to get creative with the money we have got. Jamie McCombe anyone..?

Fair play, and I wasn't so much suggesting we could do hugely better than Gray in terms of ability, just that for the same money we might be able to get someone a bit younger as a longer term solution.

The whole Rowan Vine thing is crazy money, did he even score a single goal after moving to you from Luton? Clearly has some class but as with Varney that deal was a prime example of the ex-prem teams having the money to price out all comers. In a way it doesn't bother Bristol City, cause we not likely to be competing with them for the same players, just means we have to get creative with the money we have got. Jamie McCombe anyone..?

Julian is only 28, he's got 4 or 5 years left in him at the top of his game.....so I see him as a good investment (i.e. a good season or 2 and you could sell him on for a fee, covering the wages spent)

As for Rowan Vine he was a January panic buy, same as DJ Campbell the year before......granted bot are great players but I fear both will be punching above their weight in the Premiership.....but at £3 million I can't see Bruce cutting his losses there!! Vine scored 1 goal against Derby at St Andrews, so you could say if we had drawn it we'd not be in the Prem now so it was money well spent on that 1 goal.....I don't think he's worth that price tag, but nowadays who is worth that sort of money!!!!

I hope GJ does go for Julian Gray as I'd like to watch him play next season as I'll be down the gate quite regular with my better half..

Cheers,

Matty. <----City top on order!

Archived