IGNORED

Ww1 Survivor's 111th Birthday

The Batman

bbc site

something nice to read on here for once, rather than 20 topics about who we're going to sign and big brother.

I was thinking of that 111 year old WWI veteran and it suddenly dawned on me that my Grandfather used to tell me of waving two of his uncles off at Temple Meads Station on their way to the WWI Western Front. My Grandfather's uncles were both killed in that conflict and my Grandfather also died long ago. A bit eerie that that 111 year old chap belongs to a generation that's long dead - apart from him. Is he the only one left that did serve in the WWI trenches?

I was thinking of that 111 year old WWI veteran and it suddenly dawned on me that my Grandfather used to tell me of waving two of his uncles off at Temple Meads Station on their way to the WWI Western Front. My Grandfather's uncles were both killed in that conflict and my Grandfather also died long ago. A bit eerie that that 111 year old chap belongs to a generation that's long dead - apart from him. Is he the only one left that did serve in the WWI trenches?

He was on the programme "The Last Tommy" that was on the BBC last year as there were 5/6 WW1 British veterans left, now he's the only one. It says on the BBC site that he is the only survivor of the battle of Jutland which was a naval battle in 1916 and a founder member of the RAF. So i'm guessing he's the only British WW1 survivor left, as there is no mention of anyone else.

He was on the programme "The Last Tommy" that was on the BBC last year as there were 5/6 WW1 British veterans left, now he's the only one. It says on the BBC site that he is the only survivor of the battle of Jutland which was a naval battle in 1916 and a founder member of the RAF. So i'm guessing he's the only British WW1 survivor left, as there is no mention of anyone else.

I'm 42 years old now but I remember walking to Ashton Park on many occasions with my Grandfather. As a very young boy I remember him stopping to speak to ex-servicemen that he knew and I distinctly remember one very old friend of my Grandfather talking about the trenches in WWI. So there's only one 111 year old chap left around now, that witnessed the trenches first hand, to be able to talk about the experience !!!!!

I THINK there is an ex marine who served and was still alive last year. Otherwise no. my grandads one served in Ypres, and the other was at Jutland.

It must be strange being such a rare breed. there is only one German, and he became French in 1918, German again in 1940, and French again in 1945. he was on the programme last year, and that guy did serve in the trenches

Archived