IGNORED

Wage Increases

Dave L

An interesting piece in today's Independent about the uncertainties of life for your average lower league player at this time of year.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/ne...icle2617379.ece

One interesting staistic from the article: "last year's Independent/PFA survey which revealed the average basic in the Championship to be £195,000 a year, in League One £67,850 pa"

These are basic wages remember, not taking into account win bonuses etc. That's a massive potential hike in our wage bill and certainly goes some way towards explaining the increase in ST prices. Also makes me think I might dust off my football boots and see if I can persuade GJ to give me a trial.

I'd make two points there.

One is that you have relegated Prem clubs with parachute payments and players on twenty grand a week massively distorting that average in the Championship.

The other is that we ended 05/06 with a playing staff of 24 and a wage bill of £2.72m excluding contributions so we were already paying far, far above the league one average.

"Average" is the clue. Div 1 includes the likes of Cheltenham, Brentford and Rotherham, so City would have been well above average. Championship includes Birmingham, Sunderland, West Brom & Wolves so at that level, we would be well below average.

Average is rubbish, I read somewhere the other day that the "average" premiership wage was £12,500 a week..

So either some players are well below this or is rollocks.

There are stats stats and then stats

Average is rubbish, I read somewhere the other day that the "average" premiership wage was £12,500 a week..

So either some players are well below this or is rollocks.

There are stats stats and then stats

According to Deloitte, the average wage in the Prem is £20kpw-Now, you have the likes of Ballack & Henry earning £120/130kpw, so that is distorted in the same way as the relegated clubs distort the Championship.

Terry & Lampards stance at Chelsea looks greedy, but all they are saying is that they want parity with two blokes who aren't doing it, when they are and getting paid less!!

This is what happens when higher demands are entertained instead of a very sensible maximum being put in place for your top earners.At the end of the day, the Chairman decide salary levels and they have caused this foolishness that prices the grass roots fan out of the game.

With those figures being common place in the Prem, you can see why Iwelumo looks a "snip" at no transfer fee and "only" £11kpw to Charlton!

I wanted to give sympathy reading that article but found none welled up inside of me.

He's complaining that no money is coming in to feed his family, he's waiting for the phone to ring etc. etc. - surely he should do what the rest of us have to do... get a job.

It's not admitting defeat, it's providing for your family.

People possibly talking behind your back about your performance in a manner that you think isn't true? Happens to the best of us mate.

I wanted to give sympathy reading that article but found none welled up inside of me.

He's complaining that no money is coming in to feed his family, he's waiting for the phone to ring etc. etc. - surely he should do what the rest of us have to do... get a job.

It's not admitting defeat, it's providing for your family.

People possibly talking behind your back about your performance in a manner that you think isn't true? Happens to the best of us mate.

Agree to a point,you would think he would be ringing every club outside the premiership in England and Scotland asking for a trial, trying to make things happen himself rather than being touted by agents who probably have, with all due respect, more marketable clients.Sitting waiting for the phone to ring sems a bit naive.For those who haven't read the piece it is an interview with ex Arsenal, Cardiff, Viking Stravanger and Port Vale defender( and Welsh International) Rhys Weston, who is currently out of work having been freed by Port Vale.He is 26, married with a kid.

Archived