IGNORED

Finances

WestburyRed

Its superb news all round today, and a hugely brave decision by the board to spend what I assume would of been a considerable amount of money to get Murray back so soon.

I know you only get anywhere by taking risks these days, but (and this is a big but), what if we don't end up going up this season? Its a massive gamble that I hope pays off, but so many teams before have plunged resources into going up/staying up etc and it can go horribly horribly wrong.

I just hope it was a calculated gamble at the very least.

Chris.

(my most pessimistic post ever I think)

Let's get it into context. It was a calculated and intelligent gamble. It isn't as if we are a long way from promotion with little chance. We are right up there and these signings should get us there. If it doesn't pay off then we have Murray on a 3 year contract, rather than approaching a Bosman. We may have to offload decent players if we don't go up, but the risk isn't huge and has to be well worth it at this stage of the season. The financial rewards of promotion are big.

Well done to the board.

:P Heard Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol at 4.25pm. When asked how much the deal had cost he would not say. However, he did say that Bristol City had come out of the whole thing well, that the transfer budget had not been destroyed, but obviously the wage bill had gone up somewhat.

My reckoning is that as the deal to take Scott to Reading was in stages £150,000 here some more later etc, I would imagine that City may pay back the one instalment and the rest of the deal is scrapped. Who knows?

Chuffed to bits. ^_^:ph34r::laugh:

Guest spudweiser30

You have to remember that reading were still paying for scott so what they still owed would be taken out of our fee so that should have reduced the cost a bit.

Guest eviltaxman
You have to remember that reading were still paying for scott so what they still owed would be taken out of our fee so that should have reduced the cost a bit.
Saying that has made me think.... did we put a "sell on" clause when we sold him?

So, if we pay £350,000, less what Reading still owe... if we get him for say £200,000 (as a guesstimate), would we get a further reduction because of the clause?!?! :ph34r:

Fair point, but everything I have seen from SL suggests he is not going to put at fundamental risk the health of the club.

Its what - a couple of months from the end of the season. Loads of players can be given marching orders at that time. In essense, its risking some transfer fees and a couple of months salary, against a real chance of promotion.

:P Heard Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol at 4.25pm. When asked how much the deal had cost he would not say. However, he did say that Bristol City had come out of the whole thing well, that the transfer budget had not been destroyed, but obviously the wage bill had gone up somewhat.

My reckoning is that as the deal to take Scott to Reading was in stages £150,000 here some more later etc, I would imagine that City may pay back the one instalment and the rest of the deal is scrapped. Who knows?

Chuffed to bits. :clap::ph34r::ph34r:

Scott is on less money than he was before he was here. He is however getting 2 signing on fees and a longer contract

Archived