IGNORED

What Sl Actually Said.

Rednready

BCFC main site, specific comments.

ST's were a mathmatical exercise, so that we can be competetive in the Championship.

Prices were set by the board after consultation and review to fund the needed players.

Have to pay good money for BETTER players. No good getting worse or as good as what we have.

Sales of ST's are vital to FINANCE GJ'S player purchases.

SL then says " I CANT PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLES FOOTBALL". BCFC and Ashton Gate LTD have to stand on their own two feet !

SL adds, I can put in extra money, but it would be wrong to overspend, especially if I decide to get out in a year or 5 years

To me, that sounds like a chairman who is not going to spend 1.7 million on Naismith or any other Smith. It sounds like a chairman who is going to operate within a budget and to use his words, not go down the same road as Leeds Utd.

I think he's right, and I would be very surprised if we have a budget of more than 1.5 million for the 3-4 players coming in. I have been critical of SL with some matters, but this is a very rational interview, and if you actually listen to what he says, most of the forum questions are answered.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

Last season we get told has no intention of stepping down or selling the club, previously he said he'd be open to offers.

The comment " can put in extra money, but it would be wrong to overspend, especially if I decide to get out in a year or 5 years" hardly promises longevity and again, goes against what has been said previously.

It just doesn't sit well with me.

Last season we get told has no intention of stepping down or selling the club, previously he said he'd be open to offers.

The comment " can put in extra money, but it would be wrong to overspend, especially if I decide to get out in a year or 5 years" hardly promises longevity and again, goes against what has been said previously.

Players, Managers, CEO's and Chairmen, can all jump ship related to their own circumstances. Sometimes its smooth, more often its a little bloody.

Consider though that with SL its a financial investment as well as a hobby. Having Ashton Gate Ltd as a real estate investment wont do him any harm. He obviously wants the football club to " stand on its own two feet ", and last seasons book keeping will make interesting reading. Should be the best figures in his tenure as Chairman, the sale of Cotterill was a great start and GJ made inexpensive signings coupled with some good home gates in the second half of the season.

I'd be interested to know what consultation was done. Surely they didn't ask fans? Or did they consult the same market research firm that is busily selling out Premier club seats four times over?

Whilst I agree with SteveL that the club should stand on it's own two feet financially, and that he shouldn't be paying for other people's football, I still don't believe that a 30-40% price hike will make them any more money than a 20% rise would have done. We will have to wait and see what the gates are like.

I'd be interested to know what consultation was done. Surely they didn't ask fans? Or did they consult the same market research firm that is busily selling out Premier club seats four times over?

Whilst I agree with SteveL that the club should stand on it's own two feet financially, and that he shouldn't be paying for other people's football, I still don't believe that a 30-40% price hike will make them any more money than a 20% rise would have done. We will have to wait and see what the gates are like.

Actually if you watch the interview the consultation part was vague rather than definitive.

SL said "I did some canvassing amongst other ST holders and quite a few said they expected a 30% increase ".

Following that he added that the subject " had been well thought out and researched". Then " Keith and I looked at the overall situation and made a decision.

Make of that what you will as it was an unscripted interview. We have " some canvassing", " quite a few said ","well thought out " and Keith and I made a decision.

You could ask about the researched aspect, however SL strives to cover the ST increase with the extra money for GJ to acquire better players. That is pending.

We canvassed 'other season ticket holders', now was that Atyeo/Dolman/Williams ST holders or Premier Club/Chairmans/Presidents Club ST Holders, you would get 2 complelely different sets of results.

Anyhow, he definately didn't ask me.

BCAGFC

P.s. 1 good thing to come out of the interview is that perhaps some people will now stop spouting garbage regarding transfer targets/fees.

ST's were a mathmatical exercise, so that we can be competetive in the Championship.

Prices were set by the board after consultation and review to fund the needed players.

Have to pay good money for BETTER players. No good getting worse or as good as what we have.

SL then says " I CANT PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLES FOOTBALL". BCFC and Ashton Gate LTD have to stand on their own two feet !

SL adds, I can put in extra money, but it would be wrong to overspend, especially if I decide to get out in a year or 5 years

To me, that sounds like a chairman who is not going to spend 1.7 million on Naismith or any other Smith. It sounds like a chairman who is going to operate within a budget and to use his words, not go down the same road as Leeds Utd.

I think he's right, and I would be very surprised if we have a budget of more than 1.5 million for the 3-4 players coming in. I have been critical of SL with some matters, but this is a very rational interview, and if you actually listen to what he says, most of the forum questions are answered.

I think it is pretty obvious that Lansdown will repeatedly quote Scott Davidson's over ambitious spending when we last went up to justify his opposite approach of not backing GJ and the club sufficiently now we have this opportunity.I think it is very sad.No one is asking for multi million pound amounts but surely with his wealth he could back the team more than he appears to be willing to do.Maybe one day we will get someone between the two men that backs the team more substantially when needed but not letting their heart rule their head.

After hearing the Interview on World when it was first on the official site, I posted something along the same lines, but it must have been merged because I'm bu**ered if I can find it :noexpression:

Might have been a late night dream posting BB. I often think I've posted something, then find out you've posted something similar. Perhaps we've mentally merged.

Did I tell you about my idea for a "ratings & review " column ? :innocent06:

So all this extra money the season tickets are generating plus the 1.5 mill that must be left from Cotts sale plus the 10 mill foro the coming season (TV rights).....does that equal 1.5 mill to spend ....??

Yeah the wages are going up to 5 mill from 2.5 mill....so where is all the money going to go ....???

Guest ashtonyate

I don't want SL to pay for other peoples football just pay for the c**k ups he has made, He just lost the Club at least 500K on the rovers deal.

It does not surprise me that he is not going to put in much more money into the club he is sitting on a nice little investment here because now rich people are buying Clubs one day some one is going to realise that the city could pay back big bucks if the marketing is right.

Lansdowne has got given to much to the club most of his money is in loans paying him intrest I think.

BUT THE ACCOUTANT TYPE OUT THERE CAN YOU TELL ME HOW MUCH HE HAS GIVEN THE CLUB AND HOW MUCH HAS HE INVESTED IN IT

I don't want SL to pay for other peoples football just pay for the c**k ups he has made, He just lost the Club at least 500K on the rovers deal.

It does not surprise me that he is not going to put in much more money into the club he is sitting on a nice little investment here because now rich people are buying Clubs one day some one is going to realise that the city could pay back big bucks if the marketing is right.

Lansdowne has got given to much to the club most of his money is in loans paying him intrest I think.

BUT THE ACCOUTANT TYPE OUT THERE CAN YOU TELL ME HOW MUCH HE HAS GIVEN THE CLUB AND HOW MUCH HAS HE INVESTED IN IT

Lansdown always backs Gary Johnson 100% if he is interested in a player. he paid a lot of money for Steve Brooker, Betsy and many others

Guest ashtonyate
Lansdown always backs Gary Johnson 100% if he is interested in a player. he paid a lot of money for Steve Brooker, Betsy and many others

What did we pay for brooker 220,000K and 175,000k for Betsy hardly big spending is it about the same for the cheltenham lad

We will wait with interest to see what little gems Johnson comes up with???

What did we pay for brooker 220,000K and 175,000k for Betsy hardly big spending is it about the same for the cheltenham lad

We will wait with interest to see what little gems Johnson comes up with???

When was the last time you saw a club which had been in League 1 for a few years pay over £500k for a player?

The only money over £500k in our club, and most in this league, is coming to us, thanks to our Academies ^_^

I can categorically state that Lansdown would not have 'given' the club any money at all. Any capital invested will be in the form of loans, mortgages or share based transaction. Totally 100% normal.

Guest ashtonyate
When was the last time you saw a club which had been in League 1 for a few years pay over £500k for a player?

The only money over £500k in our club, and most in this league, is coming to us, thanks to our Academies ^_^

Your right can we start another 5 academies then we will have enough money to compete with the big boys :surrender:

Your right can we start another 5 academies then we will have enough money to compete with the big boys :surrender:

Yes, I share your vision, it's the academy's fault we're not going to be on a par with Wolves & West Brom next season, not our low attendances and recent poor heritage.

Guest ashtonyate
Yes, I share your vision, it's the academy's fault we're not going to be on a par with Wolves & West Brom next season, not our low attendances and recent poor heritage.

Take out poor heritage and add in poor management

Take out poor heritage and add in poor management

Lets look at things in a positive light, bypass the Rovers at the Gate decision and look ahead.

We are promoted to the Championship, we have a good defence, a midfield with Artus about ready to stake a claim, an attack that GJ is looking to add to. SL says signings will be better than we have.

As a fellow senior poster, what would you, Ashton Yate propose for BCFC to make a bold entry into next season in the Championship. What positive steps would you suggest to achieve some level of success.

Guest ashtonyate
Lets look at things in a positive light, bypass the Rovers at the Gate decision and look ahead.

We are promoted to the Championship, we have a good defence, a midfield with Artus about ready to stake a claim, an attack that GJ is looking to add to. SL says signings will be better than we have.

As a fellow senior poster, what would you, Ashton Yate propose for BCFC to make a bold entry into next season in the Championship. What positive steps would you suggest to achieve some level of success.

This is what I think I an concerned that the defence is not going to be good enough I have a worries about Carey I know how well he has played this season But I am wondering why if he was that good Coventry let him go so easily I know people don't go along with that but that's what I think.

Last season I thought the midfield were too defensive and were slow supporting the little bit of attack we did have so a midfielder with a good engine to get forward and back.

The attack need a big over hall as last season in was the poorest forward line I have ever seen in a city shirt I would like to think Brooker will be back fully fit but still think we need two good quality target men.

As for the Academy Artus and the rest yes blood them by all means but don't over play them, bring them of slowly They played Williams far to much last season and his form went down hill.

This is what I think I an concerned that the defence is not going to be good enough I have a worries about Carey I know how well he has played this season But I am wondering why if he was that good Coventry let him go so easily I know people don't go along with that but that's what I think.

Last season I thought the midfield were too defensive and were slow supporting the little bit of attack we did have so a midfielder with a good engine to get forward and back.

The attack need a big over hall as last season in was the poorest forward line I have ever seen in a city shirt I would like to think Brooker will be back fully fit but still think we need two good quality target men.

As for the Academy Artus and the rest yes blood them by all means but don't over play them, bring them of slowly They played Williams far to much last season and his form went down hill.

I agree with most of that. I would add that imo Keogh is the likely replacement for Carey as he gets in to the 30+ year old group. Then we have Wilson from the academy 6ft 4in strong fast and with great ball skills. Lets consider the back line: Orr, Wilson, Carey, Keogh, Wilson [ the big unit ], Fontaine, McAllister and McCombe.

Artus could be our surprise packet, he will be in his 20th year come september, no longer a kid. At 6ft and 13stone, he will make his presence felt, tackles hard and scores goals. Hopefully as good as most judges say he is.

The attack and flanks need some new blood and as you say it needs an overhaul. The fact we were promoted with a poor forward line as you say, speaks volumes for our midfield and defence.

Imagine our defence and midfield with a better attack in front of them. Thats down to GJ and SL.

Guest ashtonyate
I agree with most of that. I would add that imo Keogh is the likely replacement for Carey as he gets in to the 30+ year old group. Then we have Wilson from the academy 6ft 4in strong fast and with great ball skills. Lets consider the back line: Orr, Wilson, Carey, Keogh, Wilson [ the big unit ], Fontaine, McAllister and McCombe.

Artus could be our surprise packet, he will be in his 20th year come september, no longer a kid. At 6ft and 13stone, he will make his presence felt, tackles hard and scores goals. Hopefully as good as most judges say he is.

The attack and flanks need some new blood and as you say it needs an overhaul. The fact we were promoted with a poor forward line as you say, speaks volumes for our midfield and defence.

Imagine our defence and midfield with a better attack in front of them. Thats down to GJ and SL.

I think Carey will end up at right back??

I think Carey will end up at right back??

don't you think we will need a little more pace at right back next season?? For my liking last year Orr got shown up for pace a few times and i cant see it being any better this year. Who do we have as cover for the right back spot?? neither carey fontaine or keogh can play there and add any more pace.

Brian Wilson.

Exactly, by his own admission, right back is his best position. Ditto the younger Wilson, he was first noticed as a right back and more lately as a center back. Then the pretenders who can also play right back, Carey, Orr and Keogh.

Archived