IGNORED

What Constitutes Bristol City Fc?

boadle

Go thinking about this the other day. What is it that is BCFC?

Is is the players? The Ground? The Club as a legal entity, or as a name?

1. If (for some reason) the club changed it's name (to Bristol Athletic, for arguments sake), and BCFC no longer existed, would it still be Bristol City to us? Would we still support it?

2. If the club changed name and stadium, but kept all the staff, would it still be the club we love?

3. If BCFC and BRFC swapped all staff but kept their stadia, would be still consider it our club?

Basically, I'm trying to get at what is the one definable element that makes it our club? Call it a philosophical exercise.

1. If (for some reason) the club changed it's name (to Bristol Athletic, for arguments sake), and BCFC no longer existed, would it still be Bristol City to us? Would we still support it?

2. If the club changed name and stadium, but kept all the staff, would it still be the club we love?

3. If BCFC and BRFC swapped all staff but kept their stadia, would be still consider it our club?

Basically, I'm trying to get at what is the one definable element that makes it our club? Call it a philosophical exercise.

Simple answer: Bristol City FC is formerly a club called Bristol South End formed 1894 that became Bristol City in 1897 that in turned merged with Bedminster FC in 1902. Bristol City FC is almost exclusively supported by Bristolians and those born/living in Northern Somerset.

Interesting post.

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if I would be as passionate about an AFC Bristol City. I think I would, with two caveats:

1) It was well supported by Bristolians

2) It would be great to take something iconic, like the old Robins badge

A philosophical exercise?

Easy.

We are Bristol City. All the fans. Past, present and future.

Bristol City can do anything to change, and it will still be Bristol City, owned by the fans - so long as the fans accept the change. In fact, more than that, so long as the fans instigate and endorse the change, directly or indirectly.

New stadium? Players? No problem.

New name? Probably a problem.

New name AND new location? Like Wimbledon becoming AFC Dons and relocating 100 miles away? Definitely a problem.

You cannot touch "Bristol City", its an abstract concept.

All a bit wierd and irrational really.

What constitutes it is continuity.

The fact that year-on-year more things stay the same (ground, owners, players, fans, manager) than change. So as the bulk of what makes the club doesn't change each year it remains the same club. The nearest we came to losing our identity was 1982 where 8 of the best players, the manager and the owners changed. Some players stayed, the ground stayed, and most of the fans stayed but it was close.

As a counter-example you have the discontinuity of MK Dons. In the space of a very few years: New owners, new ground (in a new town), new players, new fans, new manager. That's too many changes in a short space of time. So few, especially among old Wimbledon fans, regard MK Dons as the same club that Wimbledon was.

Guest ashtonyate

In most cases its brain washing by your parents you see that they like it so in the end you will.

When I was very young my Dad would take me to Ashton in about 1953 I would not watch all the game and would kick a paper cup around then watch a bit more and so on until you are hooked.

I think Football is a kind of religion with nearly the same passion the same sort of strain that make religious people do horrible things to each other and if you put anything that sounds like is nice say to Rovers you get the same sort of reaction judging some of the post on here when I said we should let them play at Ashton.

As for name changing as long as the blood line is there OK, but as Wimbledon found out when they moved to Milton Keynes

when they took the name MK Dons a lot of the old Wimbledon Supporters did not follow them.

To get back to you post its a tribal thing in the end no differences than sticking together

Simple answer: Bristol City FC is formerly a club called Bristol South End formed 1894 that became Bristol City in 1897 that in turned merged with Bedminster FC in 1902. Bristol City FC is almost exclusively supported by Bristolians and those born/living in Northern Somerset.

And Dorset. following on from my Father & Grand Father & Grand Mother (All South Bristol) :) ............. what always strikes me is just how many people in Bristol don't seem to be Bristol City FC.........

Why is this?

Much of the support comes from outside the City as far as my personal experience is concerned.

Needless to say my kids are BCFC and do not even show any interest in any other club........ I've done my job well :)

• Admin
You're all wrong. The correct answer is 'The Wurzels'. Goodnight.

You too are wrong I'm afraid. I distinctly recall the fact that only one Bristol side have ever reached the FA Cup Final and that team was called "Bristol City".

If what you say were to be true then that team can't have been "Bristol City" as The Wurzels weren't even born. :tongue:

I personally have calculated the answer to be π²

Archived