IGNORED

Memories

Maverick

Having recalled watching stan collymore score his hat-trick at ashton gate in the early nineties, I got thinking about the last time we spent more than a season playing second flight football. Having only supported city since 1986 these are favourite memories.

My fondest memories are of the Cole/Rosenior partnership towards the end of one particular season - this was by far the best strike partnership i have ever seen down at ashton gate. I particularly remember playing middlesbrough and drawing 1-1- when they were riding high despite us having a player sent off. Another memory is getting destroyed by west ham on a week night 4/5 - 1 and witnessing the best away performance I have seen, West Ham were simply awesome.

Anyhow, I can't wait for next season as in league one you rarley apprecaite anything apart from a dogged team perfomance from the opposition down at the gate. In the championship we will get bet beat by better teams, but occasionally the quality of the beating will still provide entertainment.

Does anyone have similar memories from the early nineties?

Does anyone have similar memories from the early nineties?

I agree with you about Cole and Rosenior. Leroy R made a huge contribution to our cause during the last few games of his career.

Watching that pairing on the pitch, I always felt goals were going to come our way. Still would like to see Rosenior back at the Gate in a coaching capacity, he certainly has something even if Torquay can't make their minds up.

Also remember Ray Atteveld scoring quite a few goals during 1992. All of them own goals.

the first decent memory that comes to mind, (probably only!), i have of 2nd tier football is beating bolton at home in the 1998/99 season. it was a friday night game and i sat in the williams for the first and only time cos my uncle took me. we won 2-1 after bolton had gone 1-0 up. akinbyi and bell scored, one might have been a penalty?... cracking game though!

always preferred night games at the gate

That's right, Soren Anderson was fouled and Bell scored.

And i also think that it was John Ward's last game, can someone confirm that??

Wolves at home years ago when we were in desperate need of a win to help avoid relegation - Jacki and Cole both scored in the space of 10 mins to beat them 2 - 1 and Cole was def offside - who cares - we didnt and the East End was absolutley mental that night - evening game with almost 16K there - brilliant times !

Wolves at home years ago when we were in desperate need of a win to help avoid relegation - Jacki and Cole both scored in the space of 10 mins to beat them 2 - 1 and Cole was def offside - who cares - we didnt and the East End was absolutley mental that night - evening game with almost 16K there - brilliant times !

I can remember the Wolves game 9 years ago at home, again another game we really needed to win. Carl "Scarecrow" Hutchings put us 1-0 up which was great, even better was the half time ruck with the three little pigs and the Wolf.....

......cant remember the final score though, so I imagine we must have won 1-0 :noexpression: :no:

Deadly strike force Ian Baird and Kevin Nugent

Aussie duo Seal and Agostino

Junior Bent for gods sake!

ahh, such mediocre days....

If we are talking about 2nd tier football, then I can remember the promotion season in the '70's with a front 2 of Cheelsey and Ritchie - a pairing like that would do for me next season!

your right the bolton game was John Wards last game in charge, and i believe that if he would of stayed we would of had a fighting chance of beating the drop one of those games that turns a season and what a fantastic night, i was sat in the east end. Shame it turned for the wrong reason.

Archived