IGNORED

Your All Time Favorite Player

redcityman

Mine has to be the legend Sir Bob Taylor,the man certainly knew how to hit a shot,the superman impression at swansea,and 35 yard half volley he put past crewe at home were sublime,then to see him carried off not long after was heartbreaking.

How we could do with another SUPERBOB

Soo tricky

on the one hand Alan Walsh and all his trickery and the anticipation of his freekicks vs the 4 time world cup final stage legend Joe Jordan.

Alan Walsh had his freekicks and so many to remember.

When the ball wasa booted up in the air by our goalie Joe would look directly at the defender who had got in position to nod it back to where it had just come from and Joe would run as fast as he could with his teeth out and eye contact would be made th defender would lok at Joe running full pelt at him look at the ball and again at Joe again and Joe would know instintively that as soon as he got to the defender to do a 180 turn leap and get the ball down with the defender completely outclassed - Joe would then pass the ball to the nearest supporting player - total class.

One thing that used to get on my nerves about Joe but you had to admire his understanding of the rules of the game was the following situation: It was in the time where a player could pass the ball back to the goalie and tackling from behind wasnt frowned on too much. A freekick would be awarded inside the penalty box (the opposition's box). The normal situation in these circumstances would be for the goalie to pass the ball outside of the box and the defender to pass the ball back to the goalie for the goalie to pick it up. Joe would stand the required 10 yards directly behind the goalie, as soon as the goalie would pass the ball to the defender - Joe would run full pelt towards the goalkeeper. The defender would roll the ball back by which time Joe would be sliding accross the ground with a leg in between the goalies legs trying to get the ball the ball before the goalie could pick it up. Now if you can imagine the goalie he would pass the ball out and all he could hear was Joe Jordan running full pelt at him, the goalie couldnt turn around to see what was going on as he had to concentrate on picking the ball up from the back pass and then as he wsa picking the ball up he would feel Joe's presence as his leg tries to get the ball. Inevitably the referee would blow his whistle and call a foul and the same scenario would repeat as the freekick would still be within the penalty box. It only got on my nerves as it was never successful adn god knows what would have happened if he had managed to touch the ball before the goalie.

on two occasions, I have met Joe and Alan and on both times I was nervous as hell at the reality of meeting them.

Can only be the one and only Dariusz 'Jackie' Dziewkanowski.....simply sublime.

Can remember the FA cup game against Leicester at Filbert Street where the guy on the radio said that Leicester

just didn't know what to do to stop him....he was a bit lazy at times and very drunk at other times but how Russell Osman

could ever say he was 'a luxury we coulodn't afford' I will never know.

I have a feeling there are many who might not remember this.

I had to think for a while. Yes, there have been many players in the red and white who have attained cult status over the years but i tried to think of an outstanding moment and, to be honest, i can`t think of any others to put above this one.

Joe Royle came to us in `77 from Man City, i was 12 going on 13 at the time. Those were the days when the Gate would be packed, especially the EE.

Anyway, home debut against Birmingham i think, the memories a little vague. Scored four, i`m sure.

Please correct me if anyone can remember exactly.

That for me was an inspirational performance that stands out.

PDG

I have a feeling there are many who might not remember this.

Joe Royle came to us in `77 from Man City, i was 12 going on 13 at the time. Those were the days when the Gate would be packed, especially the EE.

Anyway, home debut against Birmingham i think, the memories a little vague. Scored four, i`m sure.

Please correct me if anyone can remember exactly.

That for me was an inspirational performance that stands out.

PDG

I was the same age as you, remember rushing around to the top of the Dolman from the East End, when the gates opened up midway thro 2nd half.

Was against Middlesbrough and he did score all 4 on his debut. :innocent06:

When I first started supporting City it was Tom Ritchie and Geoff Merrick, later when we were climbing out of the abyss, little Steve Galliers and Glyn Riley, dynamite in small packaging, later Alan Walsh,who deserved to play at a higher level.The last era Brian Tinnion, a legend, and latterly Louis Carey and Steve Brooker.

All time? Tough. Merrick skippered City in the top flight proud Bristolian, one of the Ashton Gate 8, and a top fella to boot!!!

1. Junior Bent - just awesome - loved him and met him in Staple Hill.

2. Bob Taylor - Goals, goals, goals..

3. Andy Cole - Oh how I loved Andy - even at Man Utd I sang his praises and I have his shirt on my wall!

4. Brian Tinnion - Liverpool, nothing else.

5. Rob Newman - Awesome. Aspired to play like him as a young 'un.

David Noble, Bradley Orr, McCombe and a certain Mr Murray are certainly pushing the top 5. Never really was a Jacki fan, don't know why...

Archived