IGNORED

Formation For Next Year

BristolCity1992

I know it is very early to say but do you think that Gary will keep with the succesful 4-4-1-1 that we had last season or will he go back to 4-4-2?

I liked 4-4-1-1 as it let David Noble get foward and I felt it gave our midfield a more solid look however Johnson may well want us to have two strikers up front against stronger defences in the hope that we can break them.

I know it is hard to tell right now as we don't know who he is bringing in but just wonderd what the rest of you thought he might do and what you would do?

I know it is very early to say but do you think that Gary will keep with the succesful 4-4-1-1 that we had last season or will he go back to 4-4-2?

I liked 4-4-1-1 as it let David Noble get foward and I felt it gave our midfield a more solid look however Johnson may well want us to have two strikers up front against stronger defences in the hope that we can break them.

I know it is hard to tell right now as we don't know who he is bringing in but just wonderd what the rest of you thought he might do and what you would do?

Personally ive always thought it a good idea to have flexible tactics - i think if you play the same formation week in week out you give the opposition a head start in nullifying your strengths.

Will be interesting if GJ employs different tactics home and away next season to try and eek out every point possible.

Yeah I agree with that Johnson does it quite a bit during games and we know he is not scared to make the odd change and take a risk sometimes they come off well (4-4-1-1 V Boro and 3-5-2 worked once or twice) however sometimes they go wrong very wrong! (Skuse right wing)

So yeah change it but usally managers have a formation they will use more than any other.

I not 100% sure but weren't some of our formations down to fit players, didn't we have a striker problem against 'Boro which meant we had to adopt a 4-4-1-1.

iwould prefer to see 2 up front as 4-4-1-1 can easily become 4-5-1 during a game and i can't see us winning too many games with that formation.

Without knowing what kind of squad we're going to have next year in terms of wingmen, wingbacks, forwards etc I've got no idea.

And I can't imagine even GJ does until he knows who he's got.

Perhaps a more answerable set of questions would be:

What formation do the majority of other teams in the Championship employ?

What are the weaknesses/strengths does this formation have? What is the best theoretical formation to counter it?

What kind of players are needed to counter it (if others use it) or make it work in case we employ it?

I'm afraid I can't answer any of those - I know lots about League 1 but nothing about the Championship!

• Admin

If all we manage to bring in is a couple of decent strikers the current squad actually lends itself very nicely to 352 (or 3412 with Noble in the hole) with McAllister & Wilson being decent options as wing-backs.

As long as we can get enough possession of the ball with Noble, Johnson & Russell all in midfield, imagine what a pair of decent finishers could do with the service that trio could provide?

If all we manage to bring in is a couple of decent strikers the current squad actually lends itself very nicely to 352 (or 3412 with Noble in the hole) with McAllister & Wilson being decent options as wing-backs.

As long as we can get enough possession of the ball with Noble, Johnson & Russell all in midfield, imagine what a pair of decent finishers could do with the service that trio could provide?

Not a lot!! Those three players have plenty of flair, passing skills etc, but who would win the ball in the first place, not much height or muscle either,we would need a combative, defensive midfielder to win it and let the others weave their magic.

Archived