IGNORED

Expectations

tin

Personally, I'm well happy with the way the fixtures have turned out for us as it gives us a real opportunity to hit the ground running.

With QPR, Blackpool and Scunny up in the first three games there's a genuine chance we could have maximum points on the board by the end of August IMHO. Sheff Weds never seems to be a happy hunting ground for us but the way we played at Cov last season gives me real hope that we can take a minimum of 10 points from those games. If we were to do that, it would give us fantastic confidence to kick on from there ala Colchester last season.

What do you lot think? :city:

I'd hope we could beat both QPR & S****horpe, Blackpool are a different kettle of fish, as they have a rich Latvian chairman and an already decent squad. I'd be happy with 7-9 points plus.

I agree that its certainly possible and its the sort of games that we will be hoping to win throughout the season.

On the other hand though, They will probably be looking at it the same way we are.......Bristol City early on - A good chance to get some points on the board.

I agree that its certainly possible and its the sort of games that we will be hoping to win throughout the season.

On the other hand though, They will probably be looking at it the same way we are.......Bristol City early on - A good chance to get some points on the board.

I agree, I think it is dangerous for us to think that we will automatically be top after 3 games. Although you would look upon those fixtures as games there to be won, that is exactly how those other sides will feel about playing us. We'll need to be very well motivated and prepared to get maximum points from those five certainly.

I agree, I think it is dangerous for us to think that we will automatically be top after 3 games. Although you would look upon those fixtures as games there to be won, that is exactly how those other sides will feel about playing us. We'll need to be very well motivated and prepared to get maximum points from those five certainly.

I think it's imperitive we collect a minimum of 7 points from the first three and maybe one win on our travels at either Cov or Sheff Wed.

If we replicate the performance we showed in January at the Ricoh then there's no reason we couldn't get another 3 points there as when we rock up to Hillsborough, that's when the real Championship begins and we'll need to have some form of confidence or momentum built up before taking on the bigger guns of the division IMO.

Dangerous? Down right daft!

I would say we will win 2, draw 1 and lose 2 giving us 7 points from our first 5 games. I know we won at coventry last year but this is different. They thought they had done the hard work last time and would beat us at home, this time they know about us and i for one would be happy to bring back a point. Sheff wednesday were in form going in to the back of last season and i can see that continuing so don't think we will get anything there. We have to win our home games in this division and pick and choose where we can get 3 points on the road. I don't mean we should lose games purposely but that we have to be realistic in that a new side coming into the division is going to find it hard going to established championship clubs and picking up 3 points. I hope I'm wrong and we can suprise a few clubs early on. Idealy i would like say 10 points which would not be a bad return but as i say i think 7!!!

Where we are at christmas is all i'm worried about, if we are struggling then SL has a very tough decision to make of whether to spend some big money in the hope it keeps us up or to keep faith in the manager turning it around.

Its easier to get players to come if we are not locked in a scrap at the bottom, so if we are struggling we may not be able to get players in.

It is essential though that we make a solid start, I think last time we were waiting about 9 games before we had any kind of win, if that happens again we are doomed to failure.

I would say we will win 2, draw 1 and lose 2 giving us 7 points from our first 5 games. I know we won at coventry last year but this is different. They thought they had done the hard work last time and would beat us at home, this time they know about us and i for one would be happy to bring back a point. Sheff wednesday were in form going in to the back of last season and i can see that continuing so don't think we will get anything there. We have to win our home games in this division and pick and choose where we can get 3 points on the road. I don't mean we should lose games purposely but that we have to be realistic in that a new side coming into the division is going to find it hard going to established championship clubs and picking up 3 points. I hope I'm wrong and we can suprise a few clubs early on. Idealy i would like say 10 points which would not be a bad return but as i say i think 7!!!

Good post, I would agree, under Laws, Sheffield Weds will be dark horses this season and I fancy them for a top 6 spot.No 'easy' games this season, just as well, remember Cheltenham and Bradford at home last season?!

It all depends on any summer signings, it wont take long for championship players and teams to find our weekness. This is not league one where you can make mistakes and not get punished, these are not bread and butter players. We are going to have a harsh lesson with the players we have now!

It makes me wonder if and what chances we have of signing seasoned players who have done it in the prem and championship! With the ex players we had, who had been there, done it. and left the club under a cloud, it makes me wonder if word gets around and other players will ask questions of what their experience was with City and the manager.

Guest ashtonyate

These post reminds me of what the troops were saying the start of the second world war It will all over by Christmas we give that bosh a good kicking.

We like then will be lucky to survive and like then we have not got the means to put up a strong fight let hope we develop a new spitfire like forward to shot down some defences.

If we substitute the battle of britain to the battle of ashton gate and lets us hope it will be our finest season.

I think its all down to how we do in the first game.

If we win we could go on to get around 9-10 Points

If we lose/draw it may put confidence down and we may struggle to get 5-6 Points.

3 points againest QPR and Scunny at Ashton Gate in August will do for me and probabley settle a few nerves for the next two months after those games. :englandsmile4wf:

i remember our first win in the 1998/99 season was againest Crewe when we won 5:2 in mid-october. anyone remember that game. I remember that game more than any other in that season. A very windy day and Scott Murray scoring his first ever goal for us if i remember rightly. And the famous Greg Goodgridge and Akinbyei celebration. "the only way is up" "so stick with us we need you"

Now i don't want to sound negative and i agree that the fixtures have worked out well for us and that we need to be taking 3 points from 'lesser' teams like S****horpe, Blackpool and QPR

BUT

S****horpe finished above us last year and beat us the last time we played (didnt deserve to but still won) and if they keep hold of Sharpe (unlikely) they will have a genuwine threat - something i feel we don't have (at present)

Blackpool finished last season in great form and also apparently have money to spend

QPR championship experience (but sounds like the club is bit of a mess)

Coventry about to be taken over, big money to spend - yes we beat them last season but when we played them the team was not in as good state and since then they have replaced manager

I got my ST Friday and cannot wait for the season to begin and truly hope we do take 3 points from these fixtures but i think it could be risky to assume we will be beating these sides because lets face it if we don't then we all know that city fans don't deal with dissapointment and set backs too well!!!

3 points againest QPR and Scunny at Ashton Gate in August will do for me and probabley settle a few nerves for the next two months after those games. :englandsmile4wf:

i remember our first win in the 1998/99 season was againest Crewe when we won 5:2 in mid-october. anyone remember that game. I remember that game more than any other in that season. A very windy day and Scott Murray scoring his first ever goal for us if i remember rightly. And the famous Greg Goodgridge and Akinbyei celebration. "the only way is up" "so stick with us we need you"

i have the t shirt akinbyei had on underneath on my sons wall won it in an evil post compition also met him at the mall top bloke

Personally, I'm well happy with the way the fixtures have turned out for us as it gives us a real opportunity to hit the ground running.

With QPR, Blackpool and Scunny up in the first three games there's a genuine chance we could have maximum points on the board by the end of August IMHO. Sheff Weds never seems to be a happy hunting ground for us but the way we played at Cov last season gives me real hope that we can take a minimum of 10 points from those games. If we were to do that, it would give us fantastic confidence to kick on from there ala Colchester last season.

What do you lot think? :city:

Automatic minimum.......hahahahahahahahhhaahahahah but hey I've been a City supporter for many years ;):)

3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

CITY 4 QPR 1

BLACKPOOL 0 CITY 1

CITY 1 SCUNNERS 1

WED 2 CITY 1

CITY 2 COVENTRY 0

And we'll finish 7th on 74 pts losing out to Wolves on goals scored.

TOP 6

CHARLTON

SOUTHAMPTON

PALACE

BAGGIES

PRESTON

WOLVES

BOTTOM 6

CARDIFF

BLACKPOOL

COLCHESTER

QPR

HULL

BARNSLEY

We need to average just over 1 point a game to stay up. So I will be happy with 5-6 points from the first five games with the bigger picture in mind.

3 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

CITY 4 QPR 1

BLACKPOOL 0 CITY 1

CITY 1 SCUNNERS 1

WED 2 CITY 1

CITY 2 COVENTRY 0

And we'll finish 7th on 74 pts losing out to Wolves on goals scored.

TOP 6

CHARLTON

SOUTHAMPTON

PALACE

BAGGIES

PRESTON

WOLVES

BOTTOM 6

CARDIFF

BLACKPOOL

COLCHESTER

QPR