IGNORED

Our New Striker For This Season Could Be....

stevie stevie brooker!

undoubtly one if our finer players before the start of last season and there were rumours of him moving to the championship.

everyone thought he could cut it in the championship, but then last season was a nightmare to say the least for a number of different reasons.

but before he got injured again and played his last game for the season, he was really starting to get back to form with his performances. now after having the end of the season plus a full pre-season all being well, he could really be our main man this coming season, regardless of who we bring in.

having brooks back could well save us £500k+ on another striker.

anyone think he could play a big roll for us in the championship?

He showed his face at the POTY awards in May, which was brave considering the criticism he was getting from some areas, and IMO showed himself to be a more relaxed and friendly bloke than he has been when I've met him on a couple of occasions before.

stevie stevie brooker!

undoubtly one if our finer players before the start of last season and there were rumours of him moving to the championship.

everyone thought he could cut it in the championship, but then last season was a nightmare to say the least for a number of different reasons.

but before he got injured again and played his last game for the season, he was really starting to get back to form with his performances. now after having the end of the season plus a full pre-season all being well, he could really be our main man this coming season, regardless of who we bring in.

I don't think so. We cannot rely on him, it's not just last season but his injury record before that is not too special. I also question his control and touch, a good finisher, yes, but I feel we need someone else to fill the role.

I don't think so. We cannot rely on him, it's not just last season but his injury record before that is not too special. I also question his control and touch, a good finisher, yes, but I feel we need someone else to fill the role.

Is that the same injury record which saw him miss 3 games during the 2005/6 season?

I think a fully fit Steve Brooker will get us goals in the Championship. His work rate and presence will be of benifit to the team as well, in the past Brooker being introduced as a sub has given the team a lift, even if he hasn't played that well himself. And we did see glimpses of what he can do this season, his goal at Northampton was crucial for example. I think Johnson will help turn him round, and although I'd liek a fast striker to go along side him, I think Brooker will be important to our success next season. :fingerscrossed:

Sorry, I had checked, I don't know where I got 3 from.

However the point still stands. 37 league games a season can hardly be described as a poor injury record.

Its not bad, but if you look at his career, where he has only ever started more than 40 games once, he has had a poor record throughout his career.

Its not bad, but if you look at his career, where he has only ever started more than 40 games once, he has had a poor record throughout his career.

We don't know for what reason he missed games; his scoring record wasn't prolific in the seasons where he played 25-30 games, so he may have been out of form and on the bench, as Port Vale had decent striking options at that time if IIRC.

Twice because he played 9 for Port Vale then 33 for us in the season he moved.

But he's never had back to back 40 start seasons.

It looks like he's due one though.

Twice because he played 9 for Port Vale then 33 for us in the season he moved.

But he's never had back to back 40 start seasons.

It looks like he's due one though.

I really hope he is, because I like him as a player and I know some of his 'problems' have been his own doing. But I feel he is due some luck.

I just worry about how he will fit in. He isnt tall or strong enough to be a Steve Howard type of target man, and he has never dominated the air even at League one level.

One thing for sure, this will be, IMO, his most important season in his career.

I really hope he is, because I like him as a player and I know some of his 'problems' have been his own doing. But I feel he is due some luck.

I just worry about how he will fit in. He isnt tall or strong enough to be a Steve Howard type of target man, and he has never dominated the air even at League one level.

One thing for sure, this will be, IMO, his most important season in his career.

I agree that he's neither big enough or quick enough to fit the two generic striking types we have.

The problem with Steve Brooker IMO is that he's got to be at top fitness to be effective. If he picks up one single injury he has to play alot of games to get back to anything like form. He then breaks down more easily again and before you know it, the seasons over he's played 20 games and scored two goals...

His problems stem from not being fit enough last season. Not the injuries particularly but his general conditioning made sure he never really returned to fitness at any point during the season.

If he gets a "knock" pre season, I'll be very very very worried.

Good season = Stay at City or move to a mid table Championship side eg Stoke

Average season, say 7-10 goals = May stay at City on the very fringe or move to a top 6 League one side eg Oldham/Forest or one of the relagated Championship side.

Poor season = Crap League one side, Cheltnham/Rovers.....

stevie stevie brooker!

It's entirely up to him, isn't it? If he's over last season's injury nightmare now and is in the right frame of mind to give it a real good crack in pre-season and return in August in some sort of shape, then I think he'll be invaluable for us.

It wasn't so long ago he single-handedly carried our strike force after the sale of Leroy and he was a real force to be reckoned with in League One. Hopefully he's over the injuries now and is up for the challenge ahead, but who knows what Stevie Brooker will show up in July...

The summer break will do him good, giving him a chance get any niggling injuries healed and ready for the pre season games,

he will come back a better player for it and he should write off last season as one of those bad ones that all players get,

he will be like a new signing come the start of the season and he'll be up for the championship.

The summer break will do him good, giving him a chance get any niggling injuries healed and ready for the pre season games,

he will come back a better player for it and he should write off last season as one of those bad ones that all players get,

he will be like a new signing come the start of the season and he'll be up for the championship.

I'm hoping you are right CH.

I think everyone heard the rumours that he was not quite right last year. It was very fishy that he was out so long with the type of injury he had but hopefully hes come through it.

I'm hoping you are right CH.

I think everyone heard the rumours that he was not quite right last year. It was very fishy that he was out so long with the type of injury he had but hopefully hes come through it.

he's been through a lot, new baby, prison, injuries, it can take it's toll on you, i'm sure the summer break will see him right and he will come good.

as for injuries it's a players occupational hazzard i remember tommy doc going through a 18 months worth of injuries which almost finished him

but he came back to have a few good seasons with city and brooks has no where near the serious injuries that the doc had.

C'mon, we're not talking Lee Matthews or Mark McCammon here. David Blunkett could see that the reason Brooks gets injured so much is the whole-hearted and committed nature of his game. Might get a bit more protection from officials at a higher level, too.

He is good for 15-20 goals imo, with a partner to share the load, ie with all due respect, not a Bas, and this season could be his greatest yet.I sincerely hope so, because there can be no doubt that we are a better side when he plays.

C'mon, we're not talking Lee Matthews or Mark McCammon here. David Blunkett could see that the reason Brooks gets injured so much is the whole-hearted and committed nature of his game. Might get a bit more protection from officials at a higher level, too.

He is good for 15-20 goals imo, with a partner to share the load, ie with all due respect, not a Bas, and this season could be his greatest yet.I sincerely hope so, because there can be no doubt that we are a better side when he plays.

Sorry but that isn't true.

If that was the case why aren't Carey, Orr, McCombe, McAllister etc etc injured all the time?

And if you were the manager of the team you would be willing to gamble on this would you? Personally I would be looking for a new target man, if Brooks returned fit and eager to play, all the better. I think it would be better for him to know that he must fight for his place, not just waltz in when he is 70% fit because we have nothing else.

Get someone in, lets have some REAL alternatives.

Guest SarahB
hes the best striker we have by far, get him fit and he will score 20 championship goals this season...I havent given up on him!

Me either!!! He was just unlucky last season thats all. The majority of players have unlucky seasons like that at some point during their careers.

Archived