IGNORED

Championship Spending

Ian M

• Admin

With all the debate raging about how we haven't spent a fee yet I thought I would do a little research into how much spending clubs in the Championship undertook last Summer.

The first table shows results sorted by the amount spent irrespective of how much those clubs also received from selling their existing players whilst the second table is sorted by the Nett amounts (ie how much each club effectively spent one all incomings and outgoings are taken into account).

It's worth noting that this was simply an investigation into transfer fees spent and doesn't cover signing on fees or wages but given a number of posters have said they'd be dissapointed if we only spent a certain amount, it provides some factual information to place into those debates.

For instance, if we were to go out and spend £1m on a striker, that would be more than 16 Championship clubs spent in total last Summer and if not accompanied by any City players being sold then it would be higher spending that 23 Championship clubs last Summer.

Table 1:

Total.jpg

Table 2:

Nett.jpg

Interesting stuff - especially when you see that only one club "spent" over one million pounds last season. It could prove that the players we sell, could obviously have a major impact on how much we spend.

I do trust Johnson to get VFM for any player he signs - I mean McCombe for 5k? It beggars belief.

I cannot wait for pre season...

Interesting stuff.

Couple of points:

1.It can depend how strong you are to start with.For example, Sunderland came down from the Prem and if you look at the squads, even minus sales, that Charlton & Shef Utd will already have, it can look daunting.

2.Conversely it depends how strong WE are and I think almost everyone agrees about the positions, if not the players we need.

We have a GK (Third Choice) everyone's fit and GJ has three bids out so it looks like 4/5 in.I will predict that if we make a big signing £1/1.5m, someone, like Skuse, will go to pay for it unless we shift 2/3 for around the £2/300k mark.

Interesting stuff.

Couple of points:

1.It can depend how strong you are to start with.For example, Sunderland came down from the Prem and if you look at the squads, even minus sales, that Charlton & Shef Utd will already have, it can look daunting.

2.Conversely it depends how strong WE are and I think almost everyone agrees about the positions, if not the players we need.

We have a GK (Third Choice) everyone's fit and GJ has three bids out so it looks like 4/5 in.I will predict that if we make a big signing £1/1.5m, someone, like Skuse, will go to pay for it unless we shift 2/3 for around the £2/300k mark.

So the interesting comparison is with the three clubs promoted last season. Colchester made a net profit of £500,000 and still did a fantastic job. Hull spent what they received at over £1m and still nearly got relegated. Southend didn't do anything and went down.

Of course, free signings are free in name only and we don't know what was spent in signing on fees wages etc, but it does show there is no guarantee that signings will make us more successful or a that a lack of them will be necessarily our undoing.

Archived