IGNORED

Gold Cup Final

Porkopolis

If you didn't see the Gold Cup Final between the US and Mexico, you missed a classic match in this ever-intensifying rivalry. The US won 2-1 despite missing several massive opportunities to seal the deal. Donovan and Onyewu actually looked like the world class players they claim to be, and Spector looked great as well. Tim Howard made a BRILLIANT save just before stoppage time to preserve the lead. As an American I couldn't be more thrilled; we haven't lost to Mexico in 9 matches and we are of to South America for the Confederations Cup in 2009.

:clapping:

Bloody hell when did the US get better than Mexico? Maybe Beckham isn't off to a third rate club just for a million bucks a week and to get his ever pouting, sunglass wearing Mrs into Hollywood

The US has dominated Mexico this decade, even if no one outside of North America has taken note. Honestly the US should have done better at Germany 2006 but played the worst string of matches I've seen them play in the past five years. Oh well, this younger generation has the look of a squad that can make some real noise.

In the original post I meant off to South AFRICA for the Confed Cup, by the way.

The US has dominated Mexico this decade, even if no one outside of North America has taken note. Honestly the US should have done better at Germany 2006 but played the worst string of matches I've seen them play in the past five years. Oh well, this younger generation has the look of a squad that can make some real noise.

In the original post I meant off to South AFRICA for the Confed Cup, by the way.

I apologize for my ignorance. Does McBride play well for the US, everytime I see him for Fulham he seems good in the air but doesn't convert enough chances?

I apologize for my ignorance. Does McBride play well for the US, everytime I see him for Fulham he seems good in the air but doesn't convert enough chances?

McBride is retired from international football. He was a very reliable striker for the US when he played. I lived near him when I was in Columbus--he actually shopped at the same grocery store as me, and we seemed to be on the same schedule. I've enjoyed watching him in the Prem but I'm also glad he hung up his national team boots. He simply doesn't have the same pace he once did.

to be honest, Shocker...sorry, i mean Soccer has got very big in America since Beckhams arrival. I'v certinaly been hearing a few things over there soccer wise. sounds like there excited about this season.

but from a fans point of view, Beckham scoring a goal for the LA Galaxy will never be treated with such joy as a Detroit Pistons slam dunk or a New York Yankees home run.

USA is going to get waxed in the Copa America. Taking very much a B squad (if not C squad as we lost a ton of players for the U-20 World Cup) with a bunch of uncapped players. but this next set of players coming up are REALLY good.

Agreed 100%. We will get crushed this week, but are in good shape for the next decade.

Archived