IGNORED

Ambition For City

Tom Fleuriot

So, I figure this warrants a new thread as I want to keep the conversation in the abstract and avoid reference to "dodgy Europeans". If it's felt it should be merged, I apologise for creating extra work.

My dream scenario for City would be a team of Bristolians, trained in the Ajax style, wowing crowds across Europe and dominating the England (or Independent County of Wessex) World Cup Squad. I feel that should be the ultimate aim for City. But it's very unlikely (although this new UEFA rule kicking in next season makes it a tiny bit more likely.

IF there were a big investor, I would rather they spent £10m on the academy every season, and we got into the Prem in 20 years, than £30m on players and salaries every season.

Failing this, I like supporting a team with a healthy amount of homegrown youngsters coming through every year, the odd bit of excitement, and an increasing number of ex-players succeeding in the Prem. I prefer this to the idea of buying success.

What are people's thoughts? Would being in the Prem give us a team to be proud of? Or does it have to have some Bristol to it to make it worthwhile? Am I just thinking small time?

I suppose I'm asking whether you'd rather support Celtic in 1967 or Arsenal / Chelsea as they are now. Or to make it current, City's 2003 AWS team or Cardiff's 2003 Promotion-winning team?

If I have to wait 20 years for a return to the top flight I'll take 'dodgy' money, as you put it, right NOW thank you very much.

I put "dodgy" in quotation marks. Therefore I was referring to how others discuss it. I was just asking about money.

I've been away for a while, but am slightly surprised that nobody else has an opinion on this. Is a theoretical discussion of the aims for the club not worth having? Am I just really boring.

I want us to be a strong Championship side within 2/3 years. Of course Bristolians and other youngsters to be produced.

Most important for me is that we play attractive football, display commitment, desire and heart, and do not have to worry about relegation.

The Premiership isn't my biggest concern for now, it's barely real football anyway, but something that I'd take when it's the right time for the club (ie, when we could sustain that kind of success).

Archived