IGNORED

Defence

Chivs

Am I the only person who is worried about the defence?

At the end of the season, "Do we need a new striker" had the same obvious answer as "Is the pope a catholic"?

But very few seem to be concerned with our defence. I worry that the extra pace of Championship forwards will expose the lack of pace of certainly McCombe. Strangely enough I'm not too sure of the pace of Carey as he seems to read the game well but I expect he may struggle. The left back position was never fully solved. When McAllister is injured or suspended (regularly) we never really got a good replacement. Fontaine seemed uncomfortable in that position. Right back is probably OK with Keogh/Orr.

I'd really like to see us recruit a pacey centre back who can fill in at left back. Not too much to ask for?

At the end of the season, "Do we need a new striker" had the same obvious answer as "Is the pope a catholic"?

But very few seem to be concerned with our defence. I worry that the extra pace of Championship forwards will expose the lack of pace of certainly McCombe. Strangely enough I'm not too sure of the pace of Carey as he seems to read the game well but I expect he may struggle. The left back position was never fully solved. When McAllister is injured or suspended (regularly) we never really got a good replacement. Fontaine seemed uncomfortable in that position. Right back is probably OK with Keogh/Orr.

I'd really like to see us recruit a pacey centre back who can fill in at left back. Not too much to ask for?

i have to dis-agree completly. This is the strongest back line we have had for many many years.

McCombe and Carey as central defenders, enough said tbh, they are perfectly capable of going up a league and deservely as well

Keogh and Orr as the right backs, Orr definatley needs to improve his Distribution a bit but Keogh for his age is just fine

Fontaine and McAllister, i will agree this is the weak spot in defence, Fontaine can have some good games and others where he is quiet and don't put it enough, McAllister is definatley the best left footed player for us and his crossing is up there with Barnard and Bell.

Orr Carey McCombe McAllister

that is a fantastic 'Championship' defence if ever i seen one.

i have to dis-agree completly. This is the strongest back line we have had for many many years.

McCombe and Carey as central defenders, enough said tbh, they are perfectly capable of going up a league and deservely as well

Keogh and Orr as the right backs, Orr definatley needs to improve his Distribution a bit but Keogh for his age is just fine

Fontaine and McAllister, i will agree this is the weak spot in defence, Fontaine can have some good games and others where he is quiet and don't put it enough, McAllister is definatley the best left footed player for us and his crossing is up there with Barnard and Bell.

I'm still worried about bradley .players with pace just seem to skip past him and very often gets a cross in.

i hope I'm wrong as hes city through and through.

Defence we'll probably be told to sit a lot deeper to deal with the pacier sides, but keep the same line they've done in the past against the more powerful forwards.

We do need to sign a LB and we should ideally have 2 for each position in defence and one that covers the whole back 4.

And I expect that is the back line that GJ (and most of us) will pick for the first Championship game. But..is Orr really a classy right-back? His defensive skills, like the rest of his game, improved no end last season but he still betrays his midfield background on occasions. I'm not completely convinced by McAllister's defensive capabilities either. He is another midfielder playing at fullback, IMHO.

As I said, McCombe will struggle against pace. The Championship will not be hoof it and chase it merchants.

Time will tell.

And I expect that is the back line that GJ (and most of us) will pick for the first Championship game. But..is Orr really a classy right-back? His defensive skills, like the rest of his game, improved no end last season but he still betrays his midfield background on occasions. I'm not completely convinced by McAllister's defensive capabilities either. He is another midfielder playing at fullback, IMHO.

As I said, McCombe will struggle against pace. The Championship will not be hoof it and chase it merchants.

Time will tell.

I'm I the only one that thinks Wilson will be our right back next year? He always said thats his position, we are definitely after wingers....

Wilson Carey McCombe McAllister

Guest DanC
I'm still worried about bradley .players with pace just seem to skip past him and very often gets a cross in.

i hope I'm wrong as hes city through and through.

He did very well against Downing I thought.

Guest DanC
But you have to accept that Downing is one of the most over-rated players in the Premiership.

International standard? Don't make me laugh!

I agree that he is over rated. Seen him play for England and I was left bemused by his performance. Was expecting alot more from him.

However he is much better than many of the Left wingers Orr will come up against this season in the Championship.

Defence we'll probably be told to sit a lot deeper to deal with the pacier sides, but keep the same line they've done in the past against the more powerful forwards.

We do need to sign a LB and we should ideally have 2 for each position in defence and one that covers the whole back 4.

Can't wilson play left back aswell as right back

Archived