IGNORED

Reading Rejects

Guest Royalsfan

Guest Royalsfan

Hi, I'm a season-ticket holder at Reading and thought i'd give the opinion from us royals fans on B City's deadline day signings. It raises an eye-brow or two for the fact that all 3 are ex Reading.

1)Anthony Rougier. Mr Rougier left in the summer as his contract expired and ended up signing with Brentford. He played his part in our 4th place finish last season but never held down a regular first team place. A pacy, strong attack minded player who on his day can heavily influence the result of a game. These performances are however few and far between though and crossing, heading and finishing are weekness's of Rougier. He's a good dribbler though.

2) Darren Caskey. (Fat Caskey or pie greedy) Darren played for Reading for 5 years having one outstanding season earning player of the year in 2000/2001 season scoring 23 goals from midfield. He had a new contract on the table, the season after but was holding out for more money with interest from other clubs and he has the infamous Eric Hall as his agent. Reading ended up not offering a contract come the end of 2001/2002 and Caskey left after play-off misery v Walsall. (Rougier scoring an own goal) Known to be a big-time Charlie, Caskey must have realised that he made a big mistake and ex-boss Alan Pardew has referred in the past to this case where it highlights- The grass isn't always greener on the other side. After signing for Notts County his career has been in the bottom of division 2 ever since. He leaves County in 23rd place and destined for division 3.

Caskey's best attributes are free-kicks and lond passing. He is not very mobile and gives away plenty of free-kicks. He is big-headed and unlikely to be at B City long. You've only got to look at Notts County's league position to realise he had no influence there what so ever.

3)Scott Murray. Murray couldn't cut it in division 1 though many are suprised that he has been sold back to B City. With no lack of effort Murray failed to do what he did so well in division 2 last season. Run at players, put in crosses and score goals. This was however in divison 2 where some full-backs are no where near division 1 standard. Going back to Caskey's 23 goals. It was a one-off. And infact his only decent season in a Reading shirt. I think only time will tell. Playing against the Brentford's and Notts County's of this world Murray can make an impact but it's a bigger gain to Bristol than it is a loss for Reading. The fact is had Murray been good enough he'd be a regular at Reading. This is something he never was and like Shaun Goater looks to have been bad-business. It was reported we paid £450k up front for Murray rising to £650k in installments. We paid 500k for Goater. So around a million on 2 players regarded by many at the club as a complete waste of money. See you all next season if you win in play-off final!

Guest Royalsfan

Scott Murray wasn't the player we thought he was and him and Shaun Goater are the worst signings we've made since Caskey and Rougier! :ph34r:

Guest Royalsfan

Reading are indeed a bit of a joke at the moment but the fact is Murray might care a lot about B city but he would prefer to play in division 1 than for City or he wouldn't have left. He isn't good enough for Reading and now he'll crawl back down the M4 to you farmers joined by headless chicken Rougier and fat boy Caskey. The joke's on who I wonder?

the fact is Murray might care a lot about B city but he would prefer to play in division 1 than for City or he wouldn't have left.
No, he thought he would prefer to play in Division 1 for a lot more money, but he soon found out that money isn't everything and wanted to come back as soon as possible.

Has nobody else ever taken a job with another company for more money, only to find they were happier in their previous job?

The reason you never saw the best of Scott at Reading, was because he didn't settle at the club and knew he had made a mistake soon after moving. Not only that, he was signed by Pardew, who left shortly afterwards and, as a new boy at the club, he became even less certain of his position at Reading with the change of managers.

I imagine it was very difficult for Scott to go to a new club, only to see the boss who had bought him walk away soon after. As soon as it became clear that Coppell wasn't keen on him, his worst fears were realised and he knew he had to get out as quickly as possible.

Some players are one club players, and that is what Scott is. He thought he owed it to his family and himself to earn better money and play at a higher level. Unfortunately, he found out the hard way that happiness is about more than that, and I am sure we will see the Scott Murray we all remember, now that he is back where he belongs and settled again.

Guest Royalsfan

What Scott realised is he wasn't finding it as easy as he did in division 2 and sadly it showed in his performances. Player of the year and 29 goals brought a lot of expectation. This was never even nearly met and he proved a flop.

What Scott realised is he wasn't finding it as easy as he did in division 2 and sadly it showed in his performances. Player of the year and 29 goals brought a lot of expectation. This was never even nearly met and he proved a flop.
I don't suppose he ever expected it to be as easy, what with it being a higher division.

I have outlined the reasons for him not meeting your expectations, in my previous reply, so I won't go through them again.

Reading are indeed a bit of a joke at the moment but the fact is Murray might care a lot about B city but he would prefer to play in division 1 than for City or he wouldn't have left. He isn't good enough for Reading and now he'll crawl back down the M4 to you farmers joined by headless chicken Rougier and fat boy Caskey. The joke's on who I wonder?
Earlier in the thread you mentioned that Pardew had said that the grass isn't always greener on the other-side...........Well Scotty tried that other side and realised that Pardew was talking sense!!

As for Pardew, he's obviously found that it is :ph34r:

Welcome back Mr Murray.

Guest Royalsfan

Coppell wasn't keen on him because Pardew is good friends with Coppell and told him the A-Z on every player at the club. Murray and Goater the 2 useless signings were 2 that Pardew himself must admit were mistakes.

If Murray was a good player we wouldn't have had to play Andy Hughes out of position on the wing and Bas Savage a near unknown (striker) to play wide because of Murray's lacklusture displays. Secondly when a new manager takes charge he tends to play the best players at the club. Murray was given a chance and failed.

Guest Royalsfan

You cannot blame the fact that Pardew left on Murray's performances.

He is a professional and is paid good money to go out and perform. It didn't work out for him at Reading and you're right, he probably is a one club man.

I'd be more concerned about the other 2 you've bought.

Royalsfan, you start of with a pretty fair minded report that makes interesting reading to all city fan's and now lower yourself to a few bitter swipes!

What you say on Murray is partly correct, but all us city fans know him far, far better then you. we have watched him for years and many of us know him to speak to, hence we already know exactly what he can and cannot do.

I watched a few of the reading games myself (living only a few miles away from your town) and even under pardew Reading never played the style of footy that suited him, he was more a wing back then out and out right winger, almost becoming a third striker when we were pressuring teams. I think it was this and the higher standard defenders that combined to make him lose his sparkle.

As you say no great loss to you (try telling that to the 98% of Reading fans on your own forum that have filled 10 pages with "what the ****" is happening, why we selling murray" comments!) and is certainly a big gain for us.

The other two are as you say, match winners one day, useless the next! hopefully their good games will be in the next few weeks otherwise the fat lady will be singing for us as she is for Reading at the moment!

whoops that me being bitter!

Archived