IGNORED

"we Couldn't Afford His Wages..."

Matty H

I'm getting sick to death of reading this in virtually every post on here. Reality check time. We are in the Championship now and successful Championship Sides, and even average ones, have hefty wage bills. If we're not willing to join the club then we'd better get used to our rightful place back in League 1.

I'm getting sick to death of reading this in virtually every post on here. Reality check time. We are in the Championship now and successful Championship Sides, and even average ones, have hefty wage bills. If we're not willing to join the club then we'd better get used to our rightful place back in League 1.

Let's have a reality check then.

The average Championship salary is about £195k a year as reported here.

Now, bear in mind that the figure is distorted by teams dropping down who have years of £11m parachute payments and many players on Prem wages (average 676k a year)... I think it's a safe assumption to say that outside the 6 or so clubs in that category the average first team wage is in the region of £3k a week.

We were paying that and more to some of our players already in League one. We already had what you describe as a hefty wage bill of £2.5m with about 18 senior pros on it and the rest recent academy grads, which is more than many Championship sides were paying. And it's worth bearing in mind that our average attendance will be comfortably inside the bottom 10 clubs.

Still, I suspect the club will be prepared to pay up to double (£6k or so a week) that to a couple of players if they're the right ones. The thing is though, that when you read the occasional post on here pointing out that a suggested signing would have wage demands that are too high you will find it is usually in relation to the totally stupid suggestions like Robbie Fowler, Andy Cole etc where the player would expect earn 10k,20k+ a week. I'm pretty sure the club are not going to be pay that sort of idiotic amount out and I'm certain they don't need to.

Let's have a reality check then.

The average Championship salary is about £195k a year as reported here.

totally stupid suggestions like Robbie Fowler, Andy Cole etc

I resent that! If you read my post you would see I said "Let's make Fowler a silly offer (i.e. one he would not normally even consider) because we may be the only people offering and he may just want to keep playing for a while". I was very careful to point out that we should not try to offer loads of dosh but try to take advantage of being the only ones offering. Please read posts before you diss them.

I resent that! If you read my post you would see I said "Let's make Fowler a silly offer (i.e. one he would not normally even consider) because we may be the only people offering and he may just want to keep playing for a while". I was very careful to point out that we should not try to offer loads of dosh but try to take advantage of being the only ones offering. Please read posts before you diss them.

Actually I hadn't seen your thread at the time, I was talking about the one several weeks ago, so please get your facts straight before making assumptions.

Fowler is _never_ going to come here, it's not even about money because he's richer than God - he will get better offers and if he doesn't he will probably retire.

I do chuckle at those who demand that we give out all these big deals because we've gone up.

What if we go straight back down, and like last time suddenly have a load of players on championship deals in league one.

Thin line though aint it.

Decent players cost decent wages. Bring ume in and perhaps stay up, stick with what we got and perhaps back down.

You choose!!!!!!

Thin line though aint it.

Decent players cost decent wages. Bring ume in and perhaps stay up, stick with what we got and perhaps back down.

You choose!!!!!!

I know what you mean Arm, and you are right. We keep the same players we'll go down, end of.

Howver prudence is the key, hence who Johnson has hinted at European players as they're cheaper.

It could pay off, it could backfire - But it wont leave us bankrupt.

Actually I hadn't seen your thread at the time, I was talking about the one several weeks ago, so please get your facts straight before making assumptions.

Fowler is _never_ going to come here, it's not even about money because he's richer than God - he will get better offers and if he doesn't he will probably retire.

SO SAYS RF'S AGENT, BANK MANAGER ETC ETC ROLLED INTO ONE!

Nibs, are you the next mystic Meg???

I do chuckle at those who demand that we give out all these big deals because we've gone up.

What if we go straight back down, and like last time suddenly have a load of players on championship deals in league one.

Who's demanding? It's the price you pay when promoted. Not all teams have fairy tale promotions on a budget like Wimbledon did in the past, and look how they ended up.

With the money that is spent on players today, even from the lower leagues, its very hard to get the players who will secure are position in the CCC on a budget. Europe is the answer, but lets see how many signings are made from a lesser known country like wherethe****isthatistan! Not many I'll bet

SO SAYS RF'S AGENT, BANK MANAGER ETC ETC ROLLED INTO ONE!

Nibs, are you the next mystic Meg???

I know you have a little bee in your bonnet about people saying some transfer suggestions are ludicrous but really you just need to use a little logic, not psychic powers to figure it out.

Fowler is worth over £40m. He's been exclusively based in the north for his whole career and never moved out of the North West. He's never played outside the top level and has shown little inclination to do so. Working out that our chances of signing him are as near to zero as possible is not remotely hard.

Oh god how many times... Sometimes it's competition, sometimes it's money, mostly it's common sense why people rule out certain players.

We're not in a position to compete with the top championship clubs yet for players, GJ hasn't signed anyone over 30 for our outfield, GJ openly says he doesn't want players on the way down.

That's why people rule ex England internationals on "wages", the ones who'd actually be useful would cost too much and there would be too much competition for them.

The Sheringhams can be ruled out because GJ has never gone for them!

Thanks for the lecture and for keeping up the superior tone. But since when I made that post the thread with your 'stupid Fowler' quotes in it were only one above mine it did not seem unreasonable to assume that that is what you are referring to. Must be lovely to know everything

I know you have a little bee in your bonnet about people saying some transfer suggestions are ludicrous but really you just need to use a little logic, not psychic powers to figure it out.

Fowler is worth over £40m. He's been exclusively based in the north for his whole career and never moved out of the North West. He's never played outside the top level and has shown little inclination to do so. Working out that our chances of signing him are as near to zero as possible is not remotely hard.

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of the Baadiff bid then.

Thanks for the lecture and for keeping up the superior tone.

It's a post on a forum, any "tone" it has when you read it is one you put there,

But since when I made that post the thread with your 'stupid Fowler' quotes in it were only one above mine it did not seem unreasonable to assume that that is what you are referring to. Must be lovely to know everything

Well you know what they say about assumptions.

Must be lovely to know everything

So is that meant to be a facetious tone I'm to read into that?

If you want to take offence on the basis of an incorrect assumption that's entirely your own problem. Good luck with it.

I really don't think its a case of "can we afford", our aim next season is to consolidate our position in the Championship, i.e not get relegated next season. I for one like many on here can take a guess at how much we could expect to pay a senior pro at this level, but if SL, GJ etc see fit that we need to spend 5, 6, 7k a week whatever on a player to keep us up then so be it. Surely we can afford to stretch the wage budget a bit for the right player, even more so when considering the cost of relegation....last 8 years anyone?

Well I certainly never said that. I said wage figures are substantially higher on average than League One. That doesn't mean you have to go nuts, it just means that some people don't have an accurate idea of what a sensible figure for wages is in this league as opposed to league one

Archived