IGNORED

Strikers & Formations

Bristol Boy

Hearing what seems like permanent bad news about Brooker, started me thinking about formations and whether we actually need 2/3 strikers.

Whatever happens, we need a prolific goal scorer or two and if one happens to a wide player, then so be it if we're playing 4-4-1-1 or 4-3-1-2.Noble in behind the front player was a revalation and I'd love to see him stay there behind two quality strikers with decent movement.

GJ has signed one winger who can also play as a striker (Didn't they say that about Betsy??) and we know he was in for the German U21 Left winger so is he thinking about 4-4-2 or possibly using two genuine wide players in the more stable 4-4-1-1, especially away from home?

As things stand, we have

• Brooker
  • Showunmi
  • Jevons
  • JMW

Finnbogatson is joining on trial.

On the basis that SB & ES have been injury prone we look thin on the floor even before the season starts.Even if we play one up top.

Wide Players-Primarily Wide Right!

• Betsy
  • Murray
  • Wilson
  • Sproule

We know that whilst JMW & ES can play wide left, they lack the defensive qualities to make the position their own and, let's face it, if GJ's bid for Gant then he must be thinking along those lines as well.

I think we may well go to Latvia with only the two new signings-Sproule & Henderson.It may well be the end of July before we see a striker and if our close season signings end there, I'll be very concerned even if there are no movements out, such as Skuse.

I think the team needs a pre-determined formation i.e. a standard formation, a starting formation and the jiggling of the system stems in light of circumstances.

With that said I suspect GJ will want a 442 - see how it fairs against the new competition we face (and we wont know how it fairs properly as we will be facing S****horpe and Blackpool in the first 3 matches) - so 442 for the first 4 to 5 matches (unless we lose all 3 or 4 matches) and then into a rhythm of 442 for home matches 442 for away matches where we meet average teams and a 4411 for matches where the opposition is tough.

As to the personnel employed I think GJ will be true to his word of giving his players a chance at this level and as such I expect only to see 1 or 2 of our new signings starting on 11th August. If we get Grote the left midfielder then ES/Jevo upfront Grote left midfield and last year's veterans in all other positions - Finger Bob Sproule on the bench and depending on the new striker they will replace Jevo (i.e. if new striker is proven goalscorer then he gets to start instead of Jevo).

I think the team needs a pre-determined formation i.e. a standard formation, a starting formation and the jiggling of the system stems in light of circumstances.

With that said I suspect GJ will want a 442 - see how it fairs against the new competition we face (and we wont know how it fairs properly as we will be facing S****horpe and Blackpool in the first 3 matches) - so 442 for the first 4 to 5 matches (unless we lose all 3 or 4 matches) and then into a rhythm of 442 for home matches 442 for away matches where we meet average teams and a 4411 for matches where the opposition is tough.

As to the personnel employed I think GJ will be true to his word of giving his players a chance at this level and as such I expect only to see 1 or 2 of our new signings starting on 11th August. If we get Grote the left midfielder then ES/Jevo upfront Grote left midfield and last year's veterans in all other positions - Finger Bob Sproule on the bench and depending on the new striker they will replace Jevo (i.e. if new striker is proven goalscorer then he gets to start instead of Jevo).

Sproule starts with a four game ban and Jevons might not be here-Still looks thin to me.

Might be wise to play just one up front, away expecially.

Gah this is annoying, i've been trying to, but i can't actually come up with any strike partnerships that i think will work without Brooker, dam is he that good?

Nope, still cant do it, he is that good. :worship2:

Archived