IGNORED

Ryan Smith

tin

I could not believe my eyes when I got home from work today and flicked on the SkyText to find this lad had joined Millwall on a three-year deal for the paltry sum of £150,000. For those of you who don't know, Smith is a young, pacy left winger who destroyed us playing for the Lions in April whilst on loan from Derby. He'd previously been highly thought of at Arsenal as a youngster.

I found myself agreeing with the comments made on here by various users regarding the inflated prices being bandied around for Eastwood, Sharp, Varney etc yet here's an absolute steal that I thought would've ticked all the right boxes for GJ.

Now, answer me this... Are we or aren't in the market for a decent left winger? We've lost out on, if we went in for them at all, Hoolahan and Commons so far this summer yet this lad fits the GJ 'ideal bargain signing' bill and presumably we're nowhere to be seen. Sometimes I really despair.

I could not believe my eyes when I got home from work today and flicked on the SkyText to find this lad had joined Millwall on a three-year deal for the paltry some of £150,000. For those of you who don't know, Smith is a young, pacy left winger who destroyed us playing for the Lions in April whilst on loan from Derby. He'd previously been highly thought of at Arsenal as a youngster.

I found myself agreeing with the comments made on here by various users regarding the inflated prices being bandied around for Eastwood, Sharp, Varney etc yet here's an absolute steal that I thought would've ticked all the right boxes for GJ.

Now, answer me this... Are we or aren't in the market for a decent left winger? We've lost out on, if we went in for them at all, Hoolahan and Commons so far this summer yet this lad fits the GJ 'ideal bargain signing' bill and presumably we're nowhere to be seen. Sometimes I really despair.

The ideal GJ signing will be the player we actually sign, not the one you think we should "presumably" sign. It seems people are getting desperate on here. If Johnson does not think the lad is of Championship standard, what is the point in signing him?

I was aware of him due to Milwall's praise of him on other forums, and you know your stuff about him.

Looks the part, so surely GJ has been made aware of him?

Maybe he's too much of a bad ass so joined the hard lot in Saff Landan.

The ideal GJ signing will be the player we actually sign, not the one you think we should "presumably" sign. It seems people are getting desperate on here. If Johnson does not think the lad is of Championship standard, what is the point in signing him?

To be honest with you Greebo, I ain't getting desparate but just acknowledging that this lad would've been a sound investment for BCFC, especially at that price. I don't advocate signing players for the sake of signing them but Smith would've done more than a job for us and improved as he got older. I am starting to wonder what players GJ does indeed think are of Championship standard as I think Smith would be a heck of lot more valuable to the squad than either Betsy or Wilson, for example.

Compare a potential deal for Smith with the rumoured deal for Trundle. On one hand, we're looking at paying what one can only imagine to be a significant six-figure fee for someone who's 31, has no Championship experience under his belt and his career is on a downward curve. Smith was available for a fraction of what we may pay for Trundle, already has more experience and his career is on the up. I thought I knew what GJ would've preferred...

Having had him on loan much like Hoolahan at Blackpool, Millwall would have had first option on him, therefore Millwall would have to withdraw interest. GJ has said 3, technically 2 bids are in and are looking hopeful, so with patience the players will be signed. More than likely before the Latvia tour. Patience is a thing not often found on here, but to save arguing amongst ourselves or wrongly criticizing the management, its needed.

Having had him on loan much like Hoolahan at Blackpool, Millwall would have had first option on him, therefore Millwall would have to withdraw interest. GJ has said 3, technically 2 bids are in and are looking hopeful, so with patience the players will be signed. More than likely before the Latvia tour. Patience is a thing not often found on here, but to save arguing amongst ourselves or wrongly criticizing the management, its needed.

I agree with most of that but Millwall didn't have a similar agreement to the one which saw Hoolahan at Blackpool and them get first refusal. Hoolahan was on a season-long loan whilst Smith was only on a two-month short term loan from Derby so Millwall definately didn't have any form of first refusal on him.

To be honest with you Greebo, I ain't getting desparate but just acknowledging that this lad would've been a sound investment for BCFC, especially at that price. I don't advocate signing players for the sake of signing them but Smith would've done more than a job for us and improved as he got older. I am starting to wonder what players GJ does indeed think are of Championship standard as I think Smith would be a heck of lot more valuable to the squad than either Betsy or Wilson, for example.

Compare a potential deal for Smith with the rumoured deal for Trundle. On one hand, we're looking at paying what one can only imagine to be a significant six-figure fee for someone who's 31, has no Championship experience under his belt and his career is on a downward curve. Smith was available for a fraction of what we may pay for Trundle, already has more experience and his career is on the up. I thought I knew what GJ would've preferred...

Good post especially for the fact that you agree with me on Wilson. I thought I was the only one who has yet to be convinced by him!! Everybody else I have spoken to seems to rate him.

I agree with most of that but Millwall didn't have a similar agreement to the one which saw Hoolahan at Blackpool and them get first refusal. Hoolahan was on a season-long loan whilst Smith was only on a two-month short term loan from Derby so Millwall definately didn't have any form of first refusal on him.

True enough, but he was at the Arse before so maybe he wanted to move back to London to be near friends and family. That would be a big draw for him.

Archived