IGNORED

Leon Best Signs

Bristol Boy

Coventry sign Best and Borrowdale

Coventry City have completed the double signing of striker Leon Best from Southampton and left-back Gary Borrowdale from Crystal Palace.

Best, 20, and Borrowdale, 21, have both signed three-year deals at the Ricoh Arena and, as they are under 24, their fees will be decided by a tribunal.

Sky Blues boss Iain Dowie said: "I made it clear when I joined the club that we needed strength and depth in all areas.

"I believe Gary can certainly help us to achieve that."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part of the frustration for City fans is that players viewed as potential targets are being snapped up by the day:

Sharpe, Best, Iwulemo, Odejayi, Eastwood etc

I can understand what GJ's saying and he's been consistent in saying it, but the start of the season is about a calendar month away come Monday.

Those price hikes didn't help lower the expectation level any, either!!

No shock that any of those players have moved recently, as Johnson has said in the paper, we can't compete with alot of the clubs in this league due to the fact they are established in this league.

No surpise about Best moving to Cov at all really, he's wanted to move back to the East Midlands and that's what he has done.

Part of the frustration for City fans is that players viewed as potential targets are being snapped up by the day:

Sharpe, Best, Iwulemo, Odejayi, Eastwood etc

Viewed by whom? Us the fans? Not necessarilly by GJ. That's where the problem lies surely?

Viewed by whom? Us the fans? Not necessarilly by GJ. That's where the problem lies surely?

Good point. As GJ has said before, "the fans can speculate all they want, but we won't be releasing any of our targets". Which is a good way of going about it.

How do we know that GJ and SL and whoever else isnt in a meeting right now with a decent striker finalising the last parts of a transfer? We don't.

Its mid-day, july 6th. The season starts in 29 days and 3 hours. The transfer window closes on August 21st at midnight. So there is PLENTY of time to get the right players in. GJ and other managers has said before that some transfers can be done inas little as 2 or 3 days.

Weve signed someone in a position that we, as fans have been going on about for some time, a winger. We (IMO) need another striker, which I'm sure GJ is already working on. And, again IMO, another defender to provide cover/back-up/competition for places.

No shock that any of those players have moved recently, as Johnson has said in the paper, we can't compete with alot of the clubs in this league due to the fact they are established in this league.

We'll just give up then, shall we?

The fact that other clubs were established in the CCC didn't stop teams like Wigan & Reading (and to a lesser extent Colchester) attracting players once they gained promotion to the Champoinship.

The fact remains that even these "established" clubs who are competing with varying degrees of success in the CCC are almost all busy recruiting and strengthening their squads - because presumably they feel the need to improve those squads.

We - having got promotion with a good league one squad - havn't done much strengthening, and it's got to be a concern.

Clearly - despite the spin - things havn't gone to plan at AG so far this close season. All clubs want to get their players signed in time for pre-season, tours, etc so they can work with them on fitness/tactics/team bonding etc.

The fact we havn't done this yet shows that we ARE having a problem getting the right players in.

It's not correct to say (as said by others) it doesn't matter if players don't arrive until the end of July because if that's the case why are we bothering with pre season/tour etc for the other players?

Gary's hardly likely to say " we've tried for a dozen players and they've all said no" is he?

The fans have stumped up the 36% extra cash to enable us to compete in the CCC (as promised by SL) so it's the club that have set the expectation level - and so far we're still waiting.

Lets face it EVERYBODY* is concerned (wether or not they admit it on here) that we havn't got the players in yet - even GJ!

CodeRed

*EVERYBODY = except Giles it seems

The fact that other clubs were established in the CCC didn't stop teams like Wigan & Reading (and to a lesser extent Colchester) attracting players once they gained promotion to the Champoinship.

The fact remains that even these "established" clubs who are competing with varying degrees of success in the CCC are almost all busy recruiting and strengthening their squads - because presumably they feel the need to improve those squads.

We - having got promotion with a good league one squad - havn't done much strengthening, and it's got to be a concern.

Clearly - despite the spin - things havn't gone to plan at AG so far this close season. All clubs want to get their players signed in time for pre-season, tours, etc so they can work with them on fitness/tactics/team bonding etc.

The fact we havn't done this yet shows that we ARE having a problem getting the right players in.

It's not correct to say (as said by others) it doesn't matter if players don't arrive until the end of July because if that's the case why are we bothering with pre season/tour etc for the other players?

Gary's hardly likely to say " we've tried for a dozen players and they've all said no" is he?

The fans have stumped up the 36% extra cash to enable us to compete in the CCC (as promised by SL) so it's the club that have set the expectation level - and so far we're still waiting.

Lets face it EVERYBODY is concerned (wether or not they admit it on here) that we havn't got the players in yet - even GJ!

CodeRed

Reading didn't spend lots of money right away though, they established themselves in the league and over a couple of seasons built a team up, which is the method we are adopting,

Wigan had already spent millions on players and continued to do that once they got to the championship, they were in a position where the chairman was willing to splash cash willy-nilly to get everyone and anyone in, we aren't in that position.

All I am saying is that we can't complete with the likes of Wolves, Charlton and others who can easily spend £2m+ on players, everyone knows that including Gary, that is why he is going back to his "pulling rabbits out of hats" tricks of the past and trying to get players in from the similar vien of McCombe and Noble, once we have established ourselves in this league then no doubt bigger and better players will come.

However we have to do these things gradually and not expect instant success,

The club may have put the prices up 36%, however we have got on the football leagues to the 2nd league, which is in theory 25% better standard, some people are being very unrealistic in their aims for this season, anything above a top 15 finish will be EXCELLENT, anything between 16-20 - acceptable and JOB DONE

We'll just give up then, shall we? Give up whining yes!

The fact that other clubs were established in the CCC didn't stop teams like Wigan & Reading (and to a lesser extent Colchester) attracting players once they gained promotion to the Champoinship. That's Wigan who spent lots of money and Reading who spent lots on wages? SL will not finance us to the same degree! And who have Colchester attracted precisely? The've just lost three of their best players, 4 with Halford. And they've signed a 41 year old! Great...

It's not correct to say (as said by others) it doesn't matter if players don't arrive until the end of July because if that's the case why are we bothering with pre season/tour etc for the other players? Fitness, team work etc, these things need to be done anyway you know this.

Gary's hardly likely to say " we've tried for a dozen players and they've all said no" is he? Obviously... One player publicly saying no effects other players decisions.

The fans have stumped up the 36% extra cash to enable us to compete in the CCC (as promised by SL) so it's the club that have set the expectation level - and so far we're still waiting. IMO we're going to be watching at least 36% better standard of football in this league. What are you waiting for?

Lets face it EVERYBODY is concerned (wether or not they admit it on here) that we havn't got the players in yet - even GJ!

CodeRed

Concerned... maybe, but not worried, yet.

If we get to the end of the transfer window and we still haven't got a striker in then i'll be the first to moan about the lack of signings, but i'm confident/hopeful we will have! So should everyone given GJ's record.

I never said i wasnt concerned, which, i'm not too concerned, not yet anyway, just wishing that people would show a bit of faith in our manager (whoever it is) for once. He knows what he's doing, that's why he's the manager. I gurantee we will have signed at least 2 more players by the end of the month.

Lets face it EVERYBODY* is concerned (wether or not they admit it on here) that we havn't got the players in yet - even GJ!

CodeRed

cant argue with any of that

I gurantee we will have signed at least 2 more players by the end of the month.

yea but who? and to what standard will they elevate our team?? if all our primary targets are saying no thank you then its safe to say the players we sign will be the ones at the bottom of GJs list, hence the ones we are least likely to get excited about!!

if all our primary targets are saying no thank you then its safe to say the players we sign will be the ones at the bottom of GJs list, hence the ones we are least likely to get excited about!!

Whoa there! Would you like to list the primary targets that have turned us down to your knowledge? This could really interesting as no one else on this forum knows about it.

The fact is we are a bottom 6 Championship club at the moment, not a top 6 one. Most of the players mentioned have gone to much bigger clubs.

I'm still not concerned about a lack of signings, but surely we should be bouyed by the fact that we've already spent half a million quid on Sproule. We'll have a couple of strikers on the way within a fortnight I reckon.

CodeRed

Totally agree with your post.When I have raised the issue I have been shot down as talking out my rear end.But the fact remains that GJ himself said the squad was too small, we now have Brooker still not fit and players of all shapes and sizes and prices are going at a rate of knots.I suppose these posters who keep saying their is plenty of time will still be saying it 24 hours before the transfer deadline.It seems as usual that we are being beaten to the punch with regard to signings.Just when we will punch our weight.

Good point.The issues that GJ mentions about players ans clubs keeping there options open don't seem to apply to soem other clubs.

It has to be a concern and that's the point.That concern will go away when it is addressed and, as some others have said, GJ/SL could be lining that up right now.Wouldn't it be nice if a player/s came in in time to settle in on our tour of Latvia

That's a major reason for some peoples impatience

Reading didn't spend lots of money right away though, they established themselves in the league and over a couple of seasons built a team up, which is the method we are adopting,

Good point and time will tell-I don't actually think it's about money-just lack of noticeable activity in a busy market.

Wigan had already spent millions on players and continued to do that once they got to the championship, they were in a position where the chairman was willing to splash cash willy-nilly to get everyone and anyone in, we aren't in that position.

I think Wigans rise to the Premiership & Readings was a good model to follow.Only when Whelan appointed Jewell did things really start to happen and that coincided with buying/attracting better players

All I am saying is that we can't complete with the likes of Wolves, Charlton and others who can easily spend £2m+ on players, everyone knows that including Gary, that is why he is going back to his "pulling rabbits out of hats" tricks of the past and trying to get players in from the similar vien of McCombe and Noble, once we have established ourselves in this league then no doubt bigger and better players will come.

Whilst I hope you're right, Wolves are more indebted than we are but have an owner who has agreed to invest £30m in players while taking on that debt in return to buying the club for a tenner.As you say, we haven't got an owner like that.We have one that is possibly richer than Morgan.

However we have to do these things gradually and not expect instant success,

Why, do we have to?

The club may have put the prices up 36%, however we have got on the football leagues to the 2nd league, which is in theory 25% better standard, some people are being very unrealistic in their aims for this season, anything above a top 15 finish will be EXCELLENT, anything between 16-20 - acceptable and JOB DONE.

Totally disagree and setting the bar that low could well ensure failure

pfft, Best, another avarage, over-rated English player signs for an average team, big deal, why has this anything to do with City, we were never in for him anyways!

City were watching him last season and I know that he was a target-Believe it or believe it not

The fact is we are a bottom 6 Championship club at the moment, not a top 6 one. Most of the players mentioned have gone to much bigger clubs.

On that basis, we won't sign anyone then?

I'm still not concerned about a lack of signings, but surely we should be bouyed by the fact that we've already spent half a million quid on Sproule. We'll have a couple of strikers on the way within a fortnight I reckon.

I hope you're right

Totally agree with your post.When I have raised the issue I have been shot down as talking out my rear end.But the fact remains that GJ himself said the squad was too small, we now have Brooker still not fit and players of all shapes and sizes and prices are going at a rate of knots.I suppose these posters who keep saying their is plenty of time will still be saying it 24 hours before the transfer deadline.It seems as usual that we are being beaten to the punch with regard to signings.Just when we will punch our weight.

GJ has asked for patience so let's hope he's got something up his sleeve that will appease the doubters.

Bristol Girl we are not really interested in who signs for other clubs

Who's "we" t0sspot?

... When BCFC sign someone then we might like to hear from you....

Well I'll post when I want to and then you or possibly those others you're including when you talk about "we," can read it or place their head where the sun doesn't shine........And I'm not talking about Weston

Sharp is spelt with no E! and Odejayi was never a target.

Very good at spelling now try listening or reading properly-I said those could be viewed as potential targets and before you say "by who" they've all been discussed on here.

Whoa there! Would you like to list the primary targets that have turned us down to your knowledge? This could really interesting as no one else on this forum knows about it.

I'm not saying i know names but work it out for yourself. We had 3 bids in a few weeks ago confirmed by the club. These players have still not signed. We now have our manager stating that it is hard to compete with the bigger clubs and seems to be implying that players of a certain quality are opting for bigger clubs. Most of the names that have been thrown about are now signed to other clubs.

I'm not saying that there arnt other quality players out there but if there are you can be sure that other managers already know about them and they will probably go down the same path as other quality signings and opt for moves to bigger clubs. This leaves us with what?? unknowns who have yet to prove themselves or aging pros looking for a last hurrah or the players that other clubs don't want.

Now ifyou think back to when we first signed players like russel and noble most people were not exactly excited at the prospect of picking up nobodys at the time so think if we do the same this year. We have moved up a division and most would like to see a high profile of some sort, not realitive unknowns being brought in. Granted the 2 players mentioned turned out to be good players and GJ should be applauded for bringing them in but i cant help thinking signings like that this year wont sit right with the fans who are expecting players of a certain caliber.

Before everybody jumps down my throat I'm only voicing my opinions and take on what i have seen and heard, it doesnt mean i think i am right and everybody else is wrong, its just the way i see it.

I'm not saying i know names but work it out for yourself. We had 3 bids in a few weeks ago confirmed by the club. These players have still not signed. We now have our manager stating that it is hard to compete with the bigger clubs and seems to be implying that players of a certain quality are opting for bigger clubs. Most of the names that have been thrown about are now signed to other clubs.

But the names haven't been thrown out by the club or GJ, I really doubt if any of them were ever really targets. 3 bids suggests that they have decided to work on particular targets rather than chasing every name that could be possible.

Now ifyou think back to when we first signed players like russel and noble most people were not exactly excited at the prospect of picking up nobodys at the time so think if we do the same this year. We have moved up a division and most would like to see a high profile of some sort, not realitive unknowns being brought in. Granted the 2 players mentioned turned out to be good players and GJ should be applauded for bringing them in but i cant help thinking signings like that this year wont sit right with the fans who are expecting players of a certain caliber.

Personally I never expected him to sign an obvious name or would I want him to. I would much rather see players that have something to prove, are not known to the opposition clubs and will play for the club and manager. I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, but I think reading between the lines that Johnson will refuse to spend money just because the fans expect him to. We also know that he wont sign someone for the sake of it, the Easter affair made that quite clear. If we only have Sproule, possibly the Icelander and maybe the other triallist as extra outfield players at the start of the season, it will be for good reasons and will mean greater opportunities for Artus and Plummer.

Before everybody jumps down my throat I'm only voicing my opinions and take on what i have seen and heard, it doesnt mean i think i am right and everybody else is wrong, its just the way i see it.

voice away mate, just don't expect no one to challenge broad brushstroke statements as if they were true.

Archived