IGNORED

Landsdown's Probable Scenario

wookey

City fans should recognise that the probable scenario is that Lansdown has decided to keep his hands firmly in his pocket, use the £3mn funds from Lita and Cottrell to repay Director loans and use the 30% increase in ST prices to fund salary increases.

This may be in part a reaction to the whole world and his dog knowing that Lansdown is now a very rich man but he is also clearly conscious of the mistakes made in buying a raft of expensive and largely useless players last time we gained promotion.

In truth many transfers before the season begins are made to gee-up fans to buy Season Tickets but with Promotion Lansdown has had no need to do this.

So, Spraule may be the nominal signing and we shouldn't expect anything else. We didn't have much in the way of strikers last season so why not muddle on.

If things go awry, which they shouldn't with our defence, then we can buy at Christmas.

My advice is don't expect much in the way of signings and you won't be disappointed.

City fans should recognise that the probable scenario is that Lansdown has decided to keep his hands firmly in his pocket, use the £3mn funds from Lita and Cottrell to repay Director loans and use the 30% increase in ST prices to fund salary increases.

This may be in part a reaction to the whole world and his dog knowing that Lansdown is now a very rich man but he is also clearly conscious of the mistakes made in buying a raft of expensive and largely useless players last time we gained promotion.

In truth many transfers before the season begins are made to gee-up fans to buy Season Tickets but with Promotion Lansdown has had no need to do this.

So, Spraule may be the nominal signing and we shouldn't expect anything else. We didn't have much in the way of strikers last season so why not muddle on.

If things go awry, which they shouldn't with our defence, then we can buy at Christmas.

My advice is don't expect much in the way of signings and you won't be disappointed.

I fear that "muddling on" may not be an option with the current strike "force" we have, how about "sliding down" and out the championship. I won't be too bothered about multiple signings but we really need a goal scorer to have any chance next year mate.

I sort of agree with most you say Wookey, but NOT to bring in another striker before the start of the season, would be nothing short of FOOLISH and MADNESS!!!!!!!

We showed how weak we were in that department towrds the end of last season.

A striker is a MUST!!!!!

What utter garbage!

Do you honestly believe that after the long hard struggle that it's been getting City into the Championship, the Board are prepared to let it all slip away again?

Get real.

You will be proved wrong. To stay up we need at least two experienced forwards coming in.

So Akinbiyi was a poor signing was he? Did you watch any of the ill-fated 98/99? He got 20-odd goals for us and was sold for over £3m to Wolves where he did the same again the next year.

Our actual downfall that season wasn't buying largely raft expensive signings, as you put it, but not replacing Shaun Taylor when he bust his knee in against Watford before we got promoted.

I'd be doing cartwheels if we signed a young, pacy, strong striker like Akinbiyi was back then and, on a final note, if you're pinninng our hopes on our defence then why did we concede 3 goals against a poor Championship side like Coventry last year? Why was McCombe made to look rather ordinary in both those games?

Defence begins from the front my friend!

It's never a bad thing to use team spirit to your advantage but fans are obviously concerned about the quality and experience in our squad.

Carey and McCombe are clearly Championship quality, perhaps Noble and Johnson are even more suited to this league than last year. McCallister and Showumni could certainly do a reasonable service.

But, there are players who might have to learn very fast. Look at Wilson, Orr, Fontaine, Jevons, Myrie-Williams, Betsy, EVEN Skuse. Are they ready for a very quick step up in class? I hope so, but can't say for sure.

Can we deal with the inevitable injuries and suspensions? I doubt Scunny and Blackpool can with their current squads.

Fortunately we have a manager that is clearly good enough, hopefully the chairman can prove his worth as well.

I find myself praying that Plummer's the wonderkid we expect he is.

Stepping up a level with the same team means less goals made and more goals conceded. Our current strike force almost certainly will make us relegated. Hard words but true. I'm not negative, realistic I would say and hopefully I will be proved wrong. Confident we will see a couple of new strikers before the season starts.

If Lansdown is looking to learn lessons from the last time we were promoted, then keeping his hands in his pockets isnt the answer.

The mistake we made last time wasnt spending too much - it was buying the wrong players... buying players we didnt need. Akinbiyi was great, but did we really need to spend another 2m on Thorpe and Andersen ?

What we desperately needed that season was a commanding centre half to replace Shaun Taylor, and all we got was Julian Watts.

This season we need a striker - I don't think anyone would argue with that. If we can get a championship-quality striker then we are in very good shape. But, if we try to make do with what we have, or waste our money on players we don't need, then we're simply repeating the same mistakes.

And its no good seeing how we get on and then making some panic-buys from eastern europe in the january transfer window - we need that striker NOW.

We have to trust in Johnson

We have to trust in Lansdown

We have reached our promise land & failure is not an option.

And WE know that this club boxs for some oil magnets :fingerscrossed:

Yes, we have little choice.

But, this is a discussion forum. So... whats your opinion ? Can we "muddle through" with the current set of players and buy at christmas if necessary ?

If we cant get a striker in now, then we will have no hope of getting a good one in at christmas if we are really struggling.

Decent players wont want to risk relegation no matter how much money we throw at them.

Unfortunately it looks as if my scenario was correct. Landsdown and Johnson have had no intention of splashing out in the transfer market other than one token gesture.

I hope I am wrong but GJs sudden loyalty to last years strikers underline the point.

Unfortunately it looks as if my scenario was correct. Landsdown and Johnson have had no intention of splashing out in the transfer market other than one token gesture.

I hope I am wrong but GJs sudden loyalty to last years strikers underline the point.

So why has he appeared on the main site today saying we are well advanced with negotiations on other players?

That's not true.

Pessimism combined with boredom is never a good trait.

Archived